• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How can "fans" not realize the Griz and the D

PlayerRep

played well today, most especially the D, and were in the ballpark to beat NDSU? No team has given up fewer points than 22 to NDSU in 2 full years. Only No. Iowa and Kansas St. have come closer in the points to beating them in 2 years.

The Griz need to improve, but they have a bright future.

PlayerRep said:
played well today, most especially the D, and were in the ballpark to beat NDSU? No team has given up fewer points than 22 to NDSU in 2 full years. Only No. Iowa and Kansas St. have come closer in the points to beating them in 2 years.

Because years of success breeds pessimism. There is an entire generation that have no clue what Griz football was like year after year.....for decades. The 70s were brutal.

I'll comment because you tell me how "negative" I can be. The Griz D played well enough for us to win yesterday. Yes, they were gashed at times between the 20's, but they fought their asses off in the red zone. When they did get off of the field the "O" couldn't hold onto the football long enough to give them a breather. The "D" didn't quit the entire game, and I was impressed at their efforts...I'm also impressed how Dennard has been flying with reckless abandon. The guy has no problem hitting people... :egriz: P.S. We lost the game and that sucks a$$.

PlayerRep said:

This isn't a correct statement. There have been other teams who have given up the same or fewer points. A lot of these teams came closer to winning actually.

2013:
NDSU and SDSU - 20-0 NDSU win

2012:
NDSU and Missouri State- 21-17 NDSU win
NDSU and SDSU- 20-17 NDSU win
NDSU and Colorado State- 22-7 NDSU win

2011:
NDSU and Illinois State- 20-10 NDSU win
NDSU and Southern Illinois- 9-3 NDSU win

I agree as well. The D got tuff when they had too. Most other teams NDSU would have had td's rather than field goals. Explains why this game was close on the scoreboard.

[7], 14, 7, 0, 10

Scores for the last five NDSU opponents, including the NC game [brackets]. Only FBS Iowa State scored more than the Griz did yesterday. Given the defense they were up against, the O did okay ... and better than NDSU's last three FCS opponents.

Yet with all that, the Griz D kept the game in reach (technically) until late in the game. And they did it while being on the field 40 out of 60 minutes -- which is down-right incredible. :eek: I do not recall a game where the TOP was that one-side that the defense didn't totally fall apart in the 4th quarter. Yet NDSU managed just one FG in the 4th.

It sucks that the Griz lost ... but give credit where credit is due. :(

Defense played an amazing game. If the offense can figure out how to regularly sustain drives and score in the red zone, this is going to be really good team. I came away from yesterday's game frustrated at the loss but very positive about the rest of the season.

The defense this year is dramatically improved. Naturally egriz still needs something to bitch about so instead of giving credit to improvement many will just shift their gaze to something else that is pissing them off.

BWahlberg said:
The defense this year is dramatically improved. Naturally egriz still needs something to bitch about so instead of giving credit to improvement many will just shift their gaze to something else that is pissing them off.
this ! :clap: Good job Griz, It is early, with the conf games ahead....go get em !

PlayerRep said:

THIS... :clap:

The Griz defense is a good one for sure.

Looking at some other Big Sky teams, they just want to outscore the opponent. Playing sound, fundamental defense wins you games and the Griz will win most of their remaining games if not all in the Big Sky.

I would like these two teams to meet again this year. I love watching good defensive teams... :thumb:

Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.

grizindabox said:
Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.
A question for you, how is getting a turnover on downs not defending the run? I seem to recall the D stuffing a run on 3rd and short and stuffing a run on 4th and short inside the red zone.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
grizindabox said:
A question for you, how is getting a turnover on downs not defending the run? I seem to recall the D stuffing a run on 3rd and short and stuffing a run on 4th and short inside the red zone.

You pick a couple plays, look at the big picture...allowing a team 280 yards on 55 carries is not a great day for the run defense. If you let a QB throw for 500 yards, but he has a few incompletions and 1 interception a good pass defense? Is it a good pass defense if you hold them to field goals a few times in the red zone? The Griz did what they had to on the defensive side to be in the game, but even they can't be happy with allowing 280 yards on 55 carries.

Defensively we played a great game. Too bad we can't get any flow offensively. The potential of this team is exciting but also so damn frustrating.

How awesome was that Dennard stop on 4th and 1!? That's what I'm talkin bout!!

The D has a lot of positives to take away from this game.

The Griz defense that I saw yesterday, reminded me of the Bison defense a few years ago, as it developed. First it was bend but don't break like the Griz yesterday, then it morphed into a great overall defense. I see better days for the Griz defense, as it develops.

PlayerRep said:

Not trying to piss on your defense because I think you defense is pretty good, but using your logic I guess that Weber has just as good a defense as UM. Maybe they do.

The Griz D did not sell out to stop the run. They stayed in their 4-3 the entire game and this was the best O-Line Montana will see all year. If Montana sold out IMO NDSU would have thrown the ball a lot more but they did not have to. The problem was the O, not the D. If I was Mick I would give the D time off until Wednesday as that will probably be the first day they will be able to stand up out of bed.

grizindabox said:

I don't care if they give up 500 yards per game rushing. If the D holds teams to 22 points per game, the Griz should win a lot of games.

Back