• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cats 4-star Recruit Dismissed from Team

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Garret Marino, the Cats first 4-star recruit, was dismissed from the team. He started at defensive end early on as a true freshman. Think some off the field issues and fighting with teammates caught up to him. Too bad as he had all the talent in the world and by the talk of my Cat buds he was going to be a pretty big deal. This is why I try not to go bonkers for recruits until we see what they can do both on and off the field.

And don't read this wrong, because I'd say the same thing if it were the Griz, but WTF was a 4-star recruit doing verballing to Montana State?

AZGrizFan said:
And don't read this wrong, because I'd say the same thing if it were the Griz, but WTF was a 4-star recruit doing verballing to Montana State?
Committed to Arizona State but was academically ineligible and missed a year. Ash committed to helping the kid stay in school and remain eligible, so he came to Bozeman with the encouragement of his dad. The kid has some serious growing up to do unfortunately. Unbelievable. This is a sad story on so many levels.

Talked to a "Bobcat Dad" recently. There's been lots of commentary on Montana kids and where they end up. Cats get their share Griz get theirs. This dad didn't paint a very pretty picture of the feelings held by Montana kids in the program...particularly on the defensive side. Very few "Montana" defensive starters over there and apparently a few more Marino types when it comes to being teammates and mentors.

Here is Colter Nuanez' article on it. Pretty revealing.

http://bobcatnation.com/node/1046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is all and every bit the fault of msu.

Burnt ash tried but could not get this kid over the hump.

100 kids and you are likely to get a bad one.

4 star? Best stick with two star and below. They all can read and write .....

Mousegriz said:
Talked to a "Bobcat Dad" recently. There's been lots of commentary on Montana kids and where they end up. Cats get their share Griz get theirs. This dad didn't paint a very pretty picture of the feelings held by Montana kids in the program...particularly on the defensive side. Very few "Montana" defensive starters over there and apparently a few more Marino types when it comes to being teammates and mentors.

There isn't one MT kid on the defensive 2 deep that should be playing ahead of the starter. That being said the MSU offense seems to have a great team first attitude. The defense is a complete $hit show.

Too bad. But I think there were discussions on this board after the signing was announced that few would be surprised if he failed to finish his career at MSU. Guys with that kind if raw talent don't end up at FCS programs unless they have off-the-field issues, or lack of work effort. Sounds like both here.

If you are not a rumor fan read no further.....Tanner Roderick and Anthony Knight may have made a poor decision. I know nothing more about this, just a rumor I am spreading.

grizpack said:

http://bobcatnation.com/node/1046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"He field offers from the Pac 12 to the Big Ten, eventually choosing Arizona State."

"Marino had been the top of more than 600 posts and the subject of more than 40,000 page views on BobcatNation."

Again. Half as long.

"MSU was expected to sign 22 players on Feb. 5, but one came as a surprise . . . He was dismissed on October 15, meaning he was a Bobcat for 71 days.

Please explain.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizpack said:

"He field offers from the Pac 12 to the Big Ten, eventually choosing Arizona State."

Please explain.

My explanation is that Colter needs a better editor, or that he needs to learn how to write.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizpack said:

"Marino had been the top of more than 600 posts and the subject of more than 40,000 page views on BobcatNation."

Again. Half as long.

"MSU was expected to sign 22 players on Feb. 5, but one came as a surprise . . . He was dismissed on October 15, meaning he was a Bobcat for 71 days.

Please explain.

UM journalism grad

grizpack said:

Wait. The Cats recruited Brian Bozworth?

You can say all you want on here but this kid was a player. I watched him during fall practice almost every day and he was dominant. The coaches took a chance on him and gave him an opportunity and they knew it was a risk. He was really that dominant. I got to know him a bit and found him to be a very sincere kid. I understand he came from a really rough upbringing. Everyone hoped he would take advantage of the opportunity he was given. Yes he practiced with attitude. Something I think that was needed in the defense. Not all bad. The last few weeks he was struggling with an achilles injury. He admitted that he was really struggling academically and that he was not used to this level of studies. He was honest about it and didn't think he could do it. I feel bad for this kid because he has so much ability. I hope he can turn it around and make it somewhere. I like that the coaching staff gave him an opportunity. It doesn't always work. I know the Griz have had players like that too. We need to put all this into perspective, that these are kids. I hope the best for Garrett.

Settle down, 33. No one on here has said anything negative about the kid, except that he wasn't ready, both academically and with maturity level. And it's clear he wasn't. And I think most of us (and probably many Cat fans as well) assumed that when he signed. I was jealous of the signing, but I also didn't expect him to last at MSU.

You are right EverettGriz, we Cat fans didn't expect he would last. But, what an awesome talent. If it worked, what a great get. I was truly surprised our coaching staff went after him but I think it was good that they gave him a chance.

Back