• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What a difference 2 years make

mtgrizrule

As I have been reading through various threads, a few times posters have mentioned some concern over our defense. A few are still questioning our defense, especially the pass defense. While reading these things, I am thinking I am pretty content with our gradual defensive improvements over the last 2 years under TG.

Each of the previous 2 years EGRIZ was full of fans upset, disappointed, and frustrated with our lack of pass defense, letting teams pick us apart for long time consuming drives, etc. I am not going to break down the stats (if someone else wants to do so, feel free). I feel the time consuming drives being allowed have been a lot fewer. Teams are not racking up huge passing yards against us. Not every opposing QB is looking like an all conference or all american QB.

A good example of this is the UCD game. The defense gave up 394 yards, with 257 yards through the air. That defensive performance is causing concern. The prior 2 years many teams were consistently racking up 450 plus yards and many 300 yards plus passing games. 394 total yards given up would have been considered a very good game the previous 2 seasons. My hat is off to this defense, Ty Gregorak, every defensive coach, and every defensive player. How far has this defense improved? That is still yet to be determined. Through the Davis game, 394 total yards allowed is reason for concern this year. That my friends and GRIZ NATION is a very good sign how far this defense has improved in 2 years.

Seriously, think about how many big passing games our defense gave up prior to last year's USD game? Think about how most every QB looked great against our defense. If you can stomach it (I cannot), go back and read through EGRIZ the last few years. Do whatever it takes to realize exactly how improved our defense is this year, compared to the last 2 years. For this fan, it really give me peace of mind regarding our defense. Are there concerns? Hell yes, but I honestly feel even EWU and MSU offenses will find the GRIZ defense much improved this season. Barring costly turnovers, I like our chances of holding these offenses to 35 or less points.

That says a lot too. This defense lost 2 LBS to the NFL, 1 to the CFL, many question marks in the secondary. Only our DL was expected to be great. We don't see offenses consistently picking this defense apart. Have we given up 300 yards passing in any 1 game this season yet? Only 1 team, NDSU consistently controlled the ball against our defense most the game.

This fan is damn proud of our defense!!! As I have been posting this. I have smiled a few times thinking how bad our defense was. I am happy and relieved to see that around 400 total yards surrendered is considered bad, struggling, or reason for concern this season. :D :thumb:

It will be hard for even the harshest of defensive critics to convince most us we have a bad defense. A few years ago most every team's offense looked great against our defense. This year, that cannot be said.

Agreed. I'd hoped 2012 would teach some people not to take success for granted, and to appreciate just how good we have it most years, but alas...

We'll know for sure these next 5 weeks. The best offense we've faced this year was NDSU. Our D did a good job against them that's for sure. Other than that though we haven't faced an offense even in the top half of the FCS.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying our D is bad. Not at all. Just saying that these next 5 weeks are going to show us how good they really are. Lets look at the rankings of offenses & records against D1 opponents that we've faced so far this year compared to what's coming up:

South Dakota (1-5)
Passing Offense: #96, 170.4yds/game
Rushing Offense: #34, 195.3yds/game
Total Offense: #75, 365.7yds/game
Scoring Offense: #94, 20.0pts/game

NDSU (7-0)
Passing Offense: #61, 211.0yds/game
Rushing Offense: #15, 231.0yds/game
Total Offense: #24, 442.0yds/game
Scoring Offense: #28, 32.4pts/game

UNC (2-5)
Passing Offense: #68, 202.3yds/game
Rushing Offense: #100, 120.6yds/game
Total Offense: #97, 322.9yds/game

UND (3-4)
Passing Offense: #104, 153.1yds/game
Rushing Offense: #117, 78.1yds/game
Total Offense: #119, 231.3yds/game
Scoring Offense: #109, 13.7pts/game

UCD (0-6)
Passing Offense: #60, 213.1yds/game
Rushing Offense: #89, 137.7yds/game
Total Offense: #85, 350.9yds/game
Scoring Offense: #78, 23.7pts/game

Now...for what's coming up:

Cal Poly (4-3)
Passing Offense: #110, 136.6yds/game
Rushing Offense: #1, 337.1yds/game
Total Offense: #14, 473.7yds/game
Scoring Offense: #24, 33.3yds/game

Sac State (3-4)
Passing Offense: #9, 296.4yds/game
Rushing Offense: #39, 188.5yds/game
Total Offense: #11, 484.9yds/game
Scoring Offense: #11, 39.3pts/game

EWU (6-1)
Passing Offense: #2, 344.9yds/game
Rushing Offense: #26, 210.0yds/game
Total Offense: #3, 554.9yds/game
Scoring Offense: #2, 45.3pts/game

SUU (1-7)
Passing Offense: #6, 309.0yds/game
Rushing Offense: #107, 105.5yds/game
Total Offense: #38, 414.5yds/game
Scoring Offense: #81, 22.9yds/game

MSU (5-2)
Passing Offense: #19, 267.6yds/game
Rushing Offense: #12, 243.4yds/game
Total Offense: #5, 511.0yds/game
Scoring Offense: #4, 43.6pts/game

Going to be an interesting 5 weeks!

You are right. The better offenses are coming up. I am sure our defensive stats will inflate some. Nonetheless, it is encouraging. Not everyone is having a great day against our defense. Prior to this year, it seemed most every week our defense was struggling to keep opponents in check.

mtgrizrule said:
You are right. The better offenses are coming up. I am sure our defensive stats will inflate some. Nonetheless, it is encouraging. Not everyone is having a great day against our defense.

Agreed, it's encouraging. My main concern is still about our offense being able to sustain drives (even against these upcoming iffy defenses) to give our defense a little break. If we badly lose the TOP battle against the upcoming very impressive offenses, wearing out our defense later in the game, it could be disastrous.

Scariest games right now are @CP, @EWU and MSU at home.

CP is an interesting one. Best rushing attack in the FCS but we have a damn good run defense in my opinion, which bodes well for us since CP is all run. The worry I have is CP's defense isn't all that bad...it's mediocre... If our offense reverts back to what we have seen much of this year against mediocre to decent defenses it could put our defense in a tough spot where they end up worn out by the 4th quarter and pushed all over the place by CP's running game. Hope that doesn't happen!

EWU and MSU are glass cannons. All offense. Sure, they have mediocre run defenses but their pass defense is awful. Will we be able to exploit that? I hope so! If not it could get ugly. They are damn good on offense (especially if Adams is back).

Sac State? I have no idea what to think about them. Their offense is very good but their defense is awful. They were quite turnover prone against CP too. I'm glad this game is at home.

SUU? All pass, no run, no defense...at all...none... nope...nada. Probably couldn't stop a team made up of eGrizzer's QB'd by Alpha after a bottle of Vodka. #120 in total defense out of 121 teams. Nuff said.

I'm very glad we aren't playing ISU this year. Their offense (passing especially) is impressive. Kramer is a hell of a coach and actually has ISU at a point in this season where they still have playoff hopes. Sure, everything has to go right for them, but still, ISU with playoff hopes at this point in the season? WTF?!?!

Anyway, bring on CP! We'll get a good idea of how good our run defense is this weekend. We stuff CP's rushing attack then I'll feel very good about us making the playoffs this year. We fall to CP though and...not so much :(

Now keep in mind I'm not saying our D is bad. Not at all. Just saying that these next 5 weeks are going to show us how good they really are. Lets look at the rankings of offenses & records against D1 opponents that we've faced so far this year compared to what's coming up:

But if you look at NDSU's Point differential this year Points Per Game 32.4 OP 9.7, I would say
it's a little better than teams we are going to face! I think that is a more telling stat.

The fact is we are healthy and Tye is able to adjust when needed. The ONLY thing I get concerned with is giving up touchdowns late.

We have beaten every team we've been expected to beat...and the two games so far that we thought were the "least" winnable we were in until the very end. But the proof will be in the next 5 weeks. Cal Poly doesn't scare me AS much, given their one dimensionality....and SUU is just bad. EWU, Sac State and MSU have flawed defenses that are giving up 33.6, 38.8 and 32 ppg on average. Montana is giving up 18.

I like our chances in all five.

Potomac Griz said:

Finalist for Understatement of the Year Award. :clap:
I'll have to find something to totally absorb my time for five weeks. Hibernation, perhaps.

In the pre-Delaney era, the Griz would finally be hitting on all cylinders at this point of the season. What a difference 3 years make(s). This years Griz are consistently inconsistent.

statler & waldorf said:
Potomac Griz said:

I'll have to find something to totally absorb my time for five weeks. Hibernation, perhaps.

In the pre-Delaney era, the Griz would finally be hitting on all cylinders at this point of the season. What a difference 3 years make(s). This years Griz are consistently inconsistent.

Meh, sort of selective remembrance. All of those teams had some very close games mid to late season against teams they should have pasted. The 2011 team beat PSU by 6 after trailing much of the game. They needed a score with 4:00 left to beat NAU by 4, and barely hung on. And then there was the offense's inability to move the ball against a terrible DII team in game 10.

And no one will forget all of the close games under Hauck.

This team really isn't any different. But I do think you'll start to see the offense take off now that most of the team is relatively healthy.

EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:
Potomac Griz said:

Meh, sort of selective remembrance. All of those teams had some very close games mid to late season against teams they should have pasted. The 2011 team beat PSU by 6 after trailing much of the game. They needed a score with 4:00 left to beat NAU by 4, and barely hung on. And then there was the offense's inability to move the ball against a terrible DII team in game 10.

And no one will forget all of the close games under Hauck.

This team really isn't any different. But I do think you'll start to see the offense take off now that most of the team is relatively healthy.

I have a better feeling about the offense too. Not only are we getting healthier, but the coaches did a great job mixing in short and quick passes into the game plan. I pray they keep that mind set. :thumb:

Potomac Griz said:
We'll know for sure these next 5 weeks. The best offense we've faced this year was NDSU. Our D did a good job against them that's for sure. Other than that though we haven't faced an offense even in the top half of the FCS.

South Dakota (1-5)

NDSU (7-0)

UNC (2-5)

UND (3-4)

UCD (0-6)

Cal Poly (4-3)

Sac State (3-4)

EWU (6-1)

SUU (1-7)

MSU (5-2)

I agree, Davis' O-line shredded our defense on several drives, but we seemed to make some defensive adjustment late to shore things up. This was a milestone for me, because I have been critical in the past about Gregorak being able to make adjustments. I still think the book is out on just how great our defense is until we play Poly and EWU. Then it will be definitive.

monte is a character said:
Potomac Griz said:

South Dakota (1-5)

NDSU (7-0)

UNC (2-5)

UND (3-4)

UCD (0-6)

Cal Poly (4-3)

Sac State (3-4)

EWU (6-1)

SUU (1-7)

MSU (5-2)

I agree, Davis' O-line shredded our defense on several drives, but we seemed to make some defensive adjustment late to shore things up. This was a milestone for me, because I have been critical in the past about Gregorak being able to make adjustments. I still think the book is out on just how great our defense is until we play Poly and EWU. Then it will be definitive.

The last few years, I too have been critical of Gregorak's defensive scheme. Since attending the USD game at Vermillion, SD last year, I have taken a turn for the better regarding Gregorak. At that game, I witnessed him making some nice in game adjustments with personnel and strategy. Also on a few occasions he has voiced the fact his defense has to do better. He took responsibility and ownership of the defense. Since then, his players have as well.

You are right. The tougher tests are approaching for our defense. Even if the defense by chance does struggle in any game, I still will keep believing they are much improved and have faith in the defense. Gregorak is no longer in over his head. He has learned on the job well. Now it is just a matter of knowing how far he has progressed as a coach. The upcoming opponents will surely give everyone a good measuring stick of how far his coaching and defense have progressed.

I do know, I enjoy having a lot more peace of mind in our defense than the prior few years.

Season averages(against UM)

Not trying to take anything away from the D but our stats arn't quite representative of how well we've played. Yes are overall #'s are good but exept for Wyo and NDSU, the competition hasn't been great and were not exactly shutting em down. I compared the oppositions averaged to what we held them too and more often then not, they reach or surpass their season averages. Only 3 of our seven games have we held a team under their avg in passing, rushing, or scoring.

An alarming trend is in the total yards allowed. The 1st three games we held teams under their average. Since then we've allowed about 25 yards/game avg over their season totals with the latest(UCD) getting almost 50 yards over their average.

Where we have excelled is not allowing teams to score. Only twice has a team scored more then their avg( by 3.5 pts) and four times we've held them below including holding NDSU 10 pts below. On average we hold teams 5.3 pts below thei average.

Anyway, we got our work cut out still.

Wyoming (3-4)
Passing Offense: 192.4yds/game(92 yrds)
Rushing Offense: 133.7yds/game(209 yrds)
Total Offense: 326.1yds/game(301 yrds)
Scoring Offense: 18.6pts/game(17 pts)

Central Washington (4-3)
Passing Offense: 284.0yds/game(217 yrds)
Rushing Offense: 132.6yds/game(56 yrds)
Total Offense: 416.6yds/game(273 yrds)
Scoring Offense: 37.7pts/game(14 pts)

South Dakota (1-5)
Passing Offense: #96, 170.4yds/game(183 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #34, 195.3yds/game(134 yrds)
Total Offense: #75, 365.7yds/game(317 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #94, 20.0pts/game(20 pts)

NDSU (7-0)
Passing Offense: #61, 211.0yds/game(167 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #15, 231.0yds/game(280 yrds)
Total Offense: #24, 442.0yds/game(447 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #28, 32.4pts/game(22 pts)

UNC (2-5)
Passing Offense: #68, 202.3yds/game(198 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #100, 120.6yds/game(158 yrds)
Total Offense: #97, 322.9yds/game(356 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #94, 20.0pts/game(13 pts)

UND (3-4)
Passing Offense: #104, 153.1yds/game(196 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #117, 78.1yds/game(45 yrds)
Total Offense: #119, 231.3yds/game(241 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #109, 13.7pts/game(15 pts)

UCD (0-6)
Passing Offense: #60, 213.1yds/game(257 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #89, 137.7yds/game(137 yrds)
Total Offense: #85, 350.9yds/game(394 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #78, 23.7pts/game(28 pts)

Say what you want about the defense, but I think the line is solid, I like the linebackers' speed, and I think, in general, the entire defense is hitting harder out there. I've heard lots of positive comments from NDSU fans who saw us play in the Fargo Dome. But yeah, the proof is in the pudding, and we'll see...

alabamagrizzly said:
Season averages(against UM)

Not trying to take anything away from the D but our stats arn't quite representative of how well we've played. Yes are overall #'s are good but exept for Wyo and NDSU, the competition hasn't been great and were not exactly shutting em down. I compared the oppositions averaged to what we held them too and more often then not, they reach or surpass their season averages. Only 3 of our seven games have we held a team under their avg in passing, rushing, or scoring.

An alarming trend is in the total yards allowed. The 1st three games we held teams under their average. Since then we've allowed about 25 yards/game avg over their season totals with the latest(UCD) getting almost 50 yards over their average.

Where we have excelled is not allowing teams to score. Only twice has a team scored more then their avg( by 3.5 pts) and four times we've held them below including holding NDSU 10 pts below. On average we hold teams 5.3 pts below thei average.

Anyway, we got our work cut out still.

Wyoming (3-4)
Passing Offense: 192.4yds/game(92 yrds)
Rushing Offense: 133.7yds/game(209 yrds)
Total Offense: 326.1yds/game(301 yrds)
Scoring Offense: 18.6pts/game(17 pts)

Central Washington (4-3)
Passing Offense: 284.0yds/game(217 yrds)
Rushing Offense: 132.6yds/game(56 yrds)
Total Offense: 416.6yds/game(273 yrds)
Scoring Offense: 37.7pts/game(14 pts)

South Dakota (1-5)
Passing Offense: #96, 170.4yds/game(183 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #34, 195.3yds/game(134 yrds)
Total Offense: #75, 365.7yds/game(317 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #94, 20.0pts/game(20 pts)

NDSU (7-0)
Passing Offense: #61, 211.0yds/game(167 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #15, 231.0yds/game(280 yrds)
Total Offense: #24, 442.0yds/game(447 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #28, 32.4pts/game(22 pts)

UNC (2-5)
Passing Offense: #68, 202.3yds/game(198 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #100, 120.6yds/game(158 yrds)
Total Offense: #97, 322.9yds/game(356 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #94, 20.0pts/game(13 pts)

UND (3-4)
Passing Offense: #104, 153.1yds/game(196 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #117, 78.1yds/game(45 yrds)
Total Offense: #119, 231.3yds/game(241 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #109, 13.7pts/game(15 pts)

UCD (0-6)
Passing Offense: #60, 213.1yds/game(257 yrds)
Rushing Offense: #89, 137.7yds/game(137 yrds)
Total Offense: #85, 350.9yds/game(394 yrds)
Scoring Offense: #78, 23.7pts/game(28 pts)

Interesting stats. We all should know that any defense has to be judged against great offenses, and great teams. As I said in an earlier post, we will have a more definitive view of just how good our defense after we play a couple of better teams.

Back