• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Up: Cal Poly Mustangs

get'em_griz

DONOR
Well we are 5-2 (3-0 BSC) and the next team up in the California series is Cal Poly. The Mustangs are currently 4-3 (3-1 BSC). This next game will be an important game for us. We seemed to struggle over in San Luis Obispo during the last two matchups, so hopefully Saturday we'll come out strong and mix things up like we did against UC Davis.

The last two games we've played @ Cal Poly:
2010: L 33-35
2008: W 30-28

Cal Poly's Schedule/results so far:
@ New Mexico State: L 10-28
@ South Dakota State: L 18-44
vs Portland State: W 42-14
@ Northern Arizona: L 35-38
vs Southern Utah: W 42-39
@ Weber State: W 30-24
@ Sacramento State: W 56-27

On average, Cal Poly has given up 412 yards/game, with 228 yards coming from the air and 185 yards on the ground. N. Arizona, Southern Utah, and Sacramento State respectively had 320, 402, and 327 yards in the air.

what are some of your thoughts going into this game? I think we definitely need to see the consistency from this offense. This would be a good game to keep the passing game going, but a balanced approach will probably be what we need to do. I'm not too worried about the defense, although Cal Poly's triple-option attack is always a pain to stop.

get'em_griz said:

Inconsistent play. Barely beats Southern Utah and Weber, but killed Sac State.....?

qwerty15ster said:
get'em_griz said:

Inconsistent play. Barely beats Southern Utah and Weber, but killed Sac State.....?

Sac State has also looked pretty bad this year too, losing by 20 to Idaho State but barely beating Northern Colorado.

get'em_griz said:
qwerty15ster said:
get'em_griz said:

Sac State has also looked pretty bad this year too, losing by 20 to Idaho State but barely beating Northern Colorado.

While that's true, they also went toe to toe with MSU in a non-defense game. They scored too quickly there at the end leaving MSU too much time. Although MSU's defense sucks, I thought this game showed that Sac State's offense can get it going when it wants to.

Anyway, I think Poly definitely has the ability to show up and play a good game. Although this is a game the Griz should win, this Cal Poly team has the potential to beat us. We need to play a solid 60 minutes of football without making big mistakes. No turnovers and tackle well. The triple option can be tricky, but stay disciplined, do your job, and all will go well.

I watched a bunch of the game on my phone (if you don't have the big sky app you should get it...very high quality as long as the internet is fast enough) and I was actually really impressed with the passing game at times. Granted the running is what needs to be stopped, but they will burn the hell out of us if we let them.

I have no clue about how this game is going to turn out -- Montana could win by 3 touchdowns or Cal Poly could win. I'd like to say that the Mustangs have found their stride, but this is a real test for them at home against the Grizz. I'm thinking both teams put up at least 450 yards of offense and the game swings on turnovers and who can score touchdowns instead of field goals.

If you want to explore Cal Poly more for content from "the other side", Fansmanship.com (my site) is an all right place. Also, the local paper here in SLO is sanluisobispo.com.

I wonder how many Montana fans we can expect to see... how well do y'all travel to California? Probably better than we travel to Montana....

fansmanship said:
I have no clue about how this game is going to turn out -- Montana could win by 3 touchdowns or Cal Poly could win. I'd like to say that the Mustangs have found their stride, but this is a real test for them at home against the Grizz. I'm thinking both teams put up at least 450 yards of offense and the game swings on turnovers and who can score touchdowns instead of field goals.

If you want to explore Cal Poly more for content from "the other side", Fansmanship.com (my site) is an all right place. Also, the local paper here in SLO is sanluisobispo.com.

I wonder how many Montana fans we can expect to see... how well do y'all travel to California? Probably better than we travel to Montana....

Welcome to eGriz, fansmanship! :thumb:

Montana fans typically travel very well, better than anyone in the Big Sky. I can't put a number down on how many you can expect to see on Saturday, but there have been a decent number of fans that I've seen on TV the last two games the Griz have traveled to California to play.

get'em_griz said:
fansmanship said:

Montana fans typically travel very well, better than anyone in the Big Sky. I can't put a number down on how many you can expect to see on Saturday, but there have been a decent number of fans that I've seen on TV the last two games the Griz have traveled to California to play.

Thanks!
I sent a message to whoever runs egrizz.com about coming on my podcast this week. Hopefully they read the forum and might be up for it. :)

fansmanship said:
get'em_griz said:
fansmanship said:

Thanks!
I sent a message to whoever runs egrizz.com about coming on my podcast this week. Hopefully they read the forum and might be up for it. :)

Chris would be a good get. You might try Brint as well. He does the scouting report every week, good stuff.

Cal Poly always plays us hard. And their offensive schemes give us fits because we don't see it enough to defend against it. Kristaain (sp) Ivory, their stud running back, was dismissed from the team along with some others for off the field no no's early in the season so that was a relief for opposing teams. They're a worrisome outfit nonetheless

I was up in SLO the last time you guys played there. I am really bummed I can't make it up this year. Not only is Montana the class of FCS football they also have some of the best fans I've ever met. Hope all who travel to SLO have a great time.

To a great game :party:

Back