• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Welcome aboard Willy Pflug

mtgrizrule

Here is the article on him posted 10/20/14 at gogriz.com
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102014aac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It's great to know that I'm officially a Griz!"

:clap:

If he would have signed with MSU, he wouldn't be a Bobcat until he started classes, I guess? How does that work again?

mtgrizrule said:
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102014aac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other words, he'll be a participant at the 2015 Spring Drills. That's interesting.

CDAGRIZ said:
"It's great to know that I'm officially a Griz!"

:clap:

If he would have signed with MSU, he wouldn't be a Bobcat until he started classes, I guess? How does that work again?

Yup, a lot of bigtime commits, especially QB's at FBS powers do this if they're good enough in the classroom. It's actually becoming a really common thing with big commits in the SEC and Pac 12 for example. I believe Fornett, of LSU enrolled early last year. I can't remember a Griz commit ever doing this, but it's exciting, and obviously, Willy feels he's ready for college and college football.

WyomingGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

In other words, he'll be a participant at the 2015 Spring Drills. That's interesting.

This kid expects to compete for a starting job in the fall. I like that mindset.

I got the vibe from the article that he plays like JJ...why would he be attracted to come here if he's seen our pro-style offense and how we've pulled the reigns on JJ? Just a question...I'm not one who's very upset about JJ not running...at least until he's a little healthier and we get to the bigger games here towards the end of the season. Just a thought...I'm glad we got Mr Pflug!

Pflug enrolled by January certainly stirs the pot at QB. Gus, Simis and Weyer, better sharpen up in a hurry, if not to be No. 1, then certainly to be backup. Even if Pflug finished fall 2015 as the backup QB, he'd be way out in front.

The other guys already on board have a lot of potential, but I wouldn't mind seeing a four year starter at QB. I know it's early, but the kid has Payton contender written all over him.

I think Pflug definitely raises the tide, which in turn will make whoever our starter is next season that much better. This kid can already make all the throws necessary and wants to come in at full speed.

There's no doubt in my mind Willy thinks he'll start next season.

havgrizfan said:
Yup, a lot of bigtime commits, especially QB's at FBS powers do this if they're good enough in the classroom. It's actually becoming a really common thing with big commits in the SEC and Pac 12 for example. I believe Fornett, of LSU enrolled early last year. I can't remember a Griz commit ever doing this, but it's exciting, and obviously, Willy feels he's ready for college and college football.

osweiler did this when he went to az. state.....he also was a 4.0 student I believe.....

griz4life said:
Pflug enrolled by January certainly stirs the pot at QB. Gus, Simis and Weyer, better sharpen up in a hurry, if not to be No. 1, then certainly to be backup. Even if Pflug finished fall 2015 as the backup QB, he'd be way out in front.

all of a sudden the qb depth is outstanding imo.....in fact so good, a very good qb is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes to a scholarship..... a pretty good problem to have I suppose.....may require someone to look elsewhere if they want to play qb......I think all four of these guys can really play.

Note to Wahlberg, he is not allowed any personal time away from Spring practices and scrimmages this spring. I expect him to be 100% committed to GRIZ reports this spring. lol

I always enjoy spring and fall camps more when there is a QB competition for starting. Even more compelling, as of now there is not 1 clear cut guy to take the job. All 4 (Simis, Gustafson, Weyer, and Pflug) appear to be going into spring camp on equal footing. It will be interesting to see how the staff allocates snap repetitions and for how long? I hope at the very least, they get the competition down to 2 going into fall camp.

mtgrizrule said:
Note to Wahlberg, he is not allowed any personal time away from Spring practices and scrimmages this spring. I expect him to be 100% committed to GRIZ reports this spring. lol

I always enjoy spring and fall camps more when there is a QB competition for starting. Even more compelling, as of now there is not 1 clear cut guy to take the job. All 4 (Simis, Gustafson, Weyer, and Pflug) appear to be going into spring camp on equal footing. It will be interesting to see how the staff allocates snap repetitions and for how long? I hope at the very least, they get the competition down to 2 going into fall camp.

No way Pflug wins the starting job as a true frosh. My guess is that Weyer and Simis will be competing for the starting position. Just a hunch.

monte is a character said:
mtgrizrule said:

No way Pflug wins the starting job as a true frosh. My guess is that Weyer and Simis will be competing for the starting position. Just a hunch.

I bet you he does compete. He was promised a chance to compete as a freshman. So I'm sure he will get his chance. He may not win but he is much more electric of a player than who we have in the bullpen now. Accuracy and timing are his weak points

mtgrizfankb said:
mtgrizrule said:

I bet you he does compete. He was promised a chance to compete as a freshman. So I'm sure he will get his chance. He may not win but he is much more electric of a player than who we have in the bullpen now. Accuracy and timing are his weak points

Accuracy is a weak point? Last year he completed over 71% of his passes. We could certainly use a QB that accurate.

Of course the coaches promise a new recruit that he will get a chance to compete for a starting job. Part of recruiting the elite players. Furthermore, we have no returning QB with any real experience so it will be wide open.

Of course the coaches promise a new recruit that he will get a chance to compete for a starting job. Part of recruiting the elite players. Furthermore, we have no returning QB with any real experience so it will be wide open.

As wide open as I recall. I don't remember going into a spring camp with more than 2 qb's competing to be starter. It looks to me, we will have 4 competing for the job going into the spring. Due to all the QB's having no to limited experience, I feel all 4 will be given an opportunity to win the job.

mtgrizrule said:

As wide open as I recall. I don't remember going into a spring camp with more than 2 qb's competing to be starter. It looks to me, we will have 4 competing for the job going into the spring. Due to all the QB's having no to limited experience, I feel all 4 will be given an opportunity to win the job.

Have the Griz ever had a true freshman start at QB and be successful? I mean not just one or two games, but remain the QB for his entire four years?

Back