• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

monte is a character

I saw a thread on Maroonblood discussing how far our program has declined the past few years, and how different posters would fix the decline. Thought it may be an interesting topic over on this board.

Here are my thoughts. Anxious to see yours.

First, the consensus over there is that Delaney was the logical choice to take the reigns after the Pflu was fired, and that he was the only one who could have gotten the program back on the right track. I find this train of thought ridiculous. To anoint him as some kind of unique entity is amusing. In my mind, the fan base made a bigger deal out of the 'problems" than the players ever did. They just wanted to play football. Why couldn't we have hired a new head coach from outside the program at that time? It was three years ago now, and I can not help believe that our program would not be better off now if we had done so.

Here is my formula for returning our program to an elite one in FCS:

1) Meet with coach Delaney now, and inform him that his contract will not be renewed next season.
2) Immediately start a national search to identify interest in our head job, so that we may complete the deal immediately after the season is over, to allow the maximum transition for recruiting continuity.
3) Require the new head coach to keep at least 3 of our current assistants, at least for his first year, including the recruiting coordinator, to minimize defections from our current commitments.
4) Begin construction of our new weight room/athletic center
5) Re-structure our marketing efforts and enhance the game-day product
6) Hire an assistant (or head coach) with solid recruiting connections to areas of the country where we currently have no connections (Texas, Minnesota, Ohio, Florida, etc.)

Should be an interesting thread......

EverettGriz said:
How does a team that's currently an elite FCS program "return" to that level?
This weekends game at Cal Poly will go a long ways towards determining whether the Griz program is currently "elite." There haven't been many quality wins in the last two and a half years.

EverettGriz said:

How so? Because you're currently ranked too high at #7? Your stadium? Monte? I know that sounds like smack but honestly I'd like to hear what makes people think the griz are an elite FCS program today. Keep in mind you haven't even won the Big Sky Title since 2009. Also, skip the "You're just a troll" slams and anti Bobcat junk, because I know the Bobcats aren't considered and FCS elite program today either.

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

How so? Because you're currently ranked too high at #7? Your stadium? Monte? I know that sounds like smack but honestly I'd like to hear what makes people think the griz are an elite FCS program today. Keep in mind you haven't even won the Big Sky Title since 2009. Also, skip the "You're just a troll" slams and anti Bobcat junk, because I know the Bobcats aren't considered and FCS elite program today either.
Valid question. In my mind what keeps the Griz at elite is the fact that nearly every team we play still comes in with that "give this game your best shot" mentality. When bottom feeder schools no longer care about the Montana game, I will concede that Montana is no longer elite. As far as the cats, I would say it is not an elite program, but you certainly have a currently elite team mostly thanks to an amazing young QB. The program aspect does take history into account, and on that one the Griz have the upper hand. Also not smack, just my two cents!

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Lol wut

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

I couldnt agree more. We are not an elite FCS program right now. I really don't think that MD has the ability to get us to that status. Is MD a good guy, yes. But I think we need a new face for the program, someone younger and energetic looking to take the next step in his career. As much as I like MD personally, I just don't see that as his goal at this point in his life and coaching career.

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

3. Winning Tradition; which continues (although I know that kills cat fans and they prefer to deny it and talk about "power shifts").

4. Just ask anyone. Put a poll on AGS. If they Griz aren't one of the top 3 "elite" programs named by most voters, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. But I know you won't do it because I know you know I'm 100% correct.

There's far more that goes into being an elite program than a current W/L record (although for the Griz, that's not hurting them right now). Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.

The 'elite' part of Griz football got flushed in 2012. Living on past laurels currently. How long can that last? The first step on the road back would be to get rid of Engstrom. Nothing will change with him around.

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Ahh yes, the good old 2011 never happened, lets bury our head on the sand, chickenshit, bobcat copout routine.

I like it!

EverettGriz said:

Agreed. What is wrong with these Sky-Is-Falling types? There is no question that UM is an elite program in FCS. Just because UM hasn't been to the playoff semis since 2011, and doesn't dominate the conference anymore, doesn't mean UM isn't an elite program. Last year UM was 10-2 regular season, and received a playoff seed. Now, at 5-2 with losses to NDSU and Wyo., UM isn't an elite program. How dumb is that.

If the definition of elite program is winning FCS national championship every year, then NDSU is the only elite program under that definition.

EverettGriz said:
Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.
this is a great example and one reason why I think the question of being "elite" can never really be answered. I have no doubt notre dame fans considered themselves elite since the beginning of time. and in the 70's and 90's I'd have agreed. but what makes them elite? they lost every bowl game they played in from '95-'07. that included bowls such as the independence bowl and insight bowl. only twice in those years did they keep their losses within one td.

when they finally won a bowl game again it was the Hawaii bowl in '08 and the sun bowl in '10. then they had a great season in '12 and made the national championship which is no small feat. although they got smashed 42-14.

and despite all this I'm sure there were fans claiming they were elite. I just don't get it.

and I'm not going to get in the middle of a pissing match in regards to their "eliteness". it's just subjective and often times skewed in the eyes of home fans.

my opinion is there is a difference between rock solid programs that are going to be in the mix more times than not...and elite programs. it's also my belief that being elite is not something you hold on to for long periods of time. I think you can have an incredible program and not be considered elite. :twocents:

So, you want to tell the head coach that his contract won't be renewed, while he has his team in first place?

I'm no fan of MD, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. What if the team keeps winning? Then what?

When people say that Grizzly fans are spoiled, this is the shit they are talking about.

If we lose this weekend, then I say let's see what happens against Sac State, Eastern Washington, Southern Utah and MSU. Then if we beat Sac State, let's see what happens against EWU, Southern Utah and MSU. Then if we beat Eastern Washington, let's see what happens against Southern Utah and MSU. You know we'll beat Southern Utah, so if that's true, let's see what happens against MSU. Then there's MSU. I think we win that game. But if we lose two more, let's talk. Definitely.

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

3. Winning Tradition; which continues (although I know that kills cat fans and they prefer to deny it and talk about "power shifts").

4. Just ask anyone. Put a poll on AGS. If they Griz aren't one of the top 3 "elite" programs named by most voters, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. But I know you won't do it because I know you know I'm 100% correct.

There's far more that goes into being an elite program than a current W/L record (although for the Griz, that's not hurting them right now). Notre Dame had a few terrible years, but I never heard anyone say they weren't an elite program. And it's been years since they won a title.

I am not going to argue if Montana is elite, as each person's perception of elite is different. In regards to your second point, facilities, didn't you receive the email regarding Montana facilities compared to other BSC teams?

Montana is behind, and needs donations to catch up. Facilities are huge when it comes to recruiting. Look no further than UND, building a new indoor practice facility, to go along with the pro level facilities of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

When hockey players make visits to UND, tradition is one thing, facilities closes the deal.

Robsnotes4u said:
EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

1. Crowd/fan support.

2. Facilities

I am not going to argue if Montana is elite, as each person's perception of elite is different. In regards to your second point, facilities, didn't you receive the email regarding Montana facilities compared to other BSC teams?

Montana is behind, and needs donations to catch up. Facilities are huge when it comes to recruiting. Look no further than UND, building a new indoor practice facility, to go along with the pro level facilities of the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

When hockey players make visits to UND, tradition is one thing, facilities closes the deal.

100%, spot on.

Anyone who believes our facilites are "elite" needs to call Greg Sundberg or Dan Ingram and arrange a personal tour. They'd be happy to accommodate. The more people who know about this, the better.

We are a joke when it comes to facilites.

Back