• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

TSN / Haley pick CP over the griz

IroneagleXP

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4732849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hardly the first time the Griz have been picked to lose a game. But, the game gets played on the field by a group of young men -- and, by 10 p.m. or so Saturday night, we'll know which group of young men had the better game. I'm rooting for the Griz, of course, but I'm sure it will be a very close one.

Our offense will need to click early and often. The triple option has the potential to grind out clock all game long and opportunities to score will be at a premium.

It can be difficult for teams to prepare for the one triple option team they have to play every year, this is true whether it's grade school, high school or college but I think or at least hope that our defense can and will adjust. If our O can play like they did last Saturday the Griz will be fine. Nice to see JJ making plays.

The defense needs to stop the 1st part of the triple option....the dive. I noticed last week our interior defensive lineman got turned frequently giving UCDavis a lot of opportunity up the middle. We HAVE to stop the dive in order to control the QB and pitch man. If they can do this effectively they have a good chance at winning this game. cal poly is not that big but very athletic and execute the triple option to perfection. Tonga, Rehm, and Peevey better be ready this Saturday. With the speed Montana has at defensive end and linebacker and as good as they tackle they could somewhat limit this offense..better be gap sound, tackle well, and fast tho. If Montana is ready to go at the very beginning and play for an entire 4 quarters they will come home 4-0. This will be the beginning of a new season. Containing cal poly's run game will prove we are legit.

Not really a reach. Poly is playing well and playing at home. Lets hope our O brings it's mojo from the UCD game on the plane

The triple option eats up defenses that don't stay home. If everyone follows their assignment they will be fine. If they overplay, it'll be a long night. They just need to trust that other guys will make their plays. The defense has enough speed to string them out.

bandit218 said:
The triple option eats up defenses that don't stay home. If everyone follows their assignment they will be fine. If they overplay, it'll be a long night. They just need to trust that other guys will make their plays. The defense has enough speed to string them out.
They can "under-play" also. The Wofford game is seared in my memory from watching the DE live in "no man's land" almost equidistant between the dive, the pitch and the QB, play after play. It was as frustrating as anything I had ever witnessed a player do -- and the DEs were no slouches that year. Know your assignment and make the tackle when your guy gets the ball. Everything else will take care of itself.

bandit218 said:

Whicih is interesting given that they did a LOT of overplaying last week against Davis....lots of overpursuit.

AZGrizFan said:
bandit218 said:

Whicih is interesting given that they did a LOT of overplaying last week against Davis....lots of overpursuit.

At the same time tho the speed of the option will eat you alive of you are not aggressive enough. There needs to be focus and staying in your hole but speed to break to the corner and contain as well. I feel we are much better this year at this than the last few. Speedy linebackers and a line that can push the edge. It will be a fun matchup

This week vs Poly the defensive tackles will be alot more aggressive this week, last week they were real concerned with stopping UCD for running screens, which I believe led them to being gouged up the middle.

AZGrizFan said:
bandit218 said:

So true....

Ha, as I was looking at the stats I was starting to think.... uh oh... this could be it. It does have trouble written all over it. Poly's defense is bad though - Griz need to score a ton of points!

Rather odd that an "egale" fan would post this on a a GRIZ board.

How's the bye week looking, "eagle"? I hope the off time will prevent anyone from painting any more gay slurs on the basketball wall this week.

EverettGriz said:

How's the bye week looking, "eagle"? I hope the off time will prevent anyone from painting any more gay slurs on the basketball wall this week.

He's a cat troll posing as an EWU fan. Ignore him and eventually he will go away.

Rjones61 said:
EverettGriz said:

He's a cat troll posing as an EWU fan. Ignore him and eventually he will go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7ANlXjiPLxY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a poser!

statler & waldorf said:
dupuyer griz said:
Our offense will need to click early and often. The triple option has the potential to grind out clock all game long and opportunities to score will be at a premium.

The offense click early and often? :lol:

Yeah, like that time we put up 28 in the first ten minutes on NoCo, whose defense is statistically on par with CP's? :coffee:

Back