• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Road woes continue

BWahlberg

DONOR
Opportunity presented itself before the game even started for the Grizzlies tonight, but unfortunately Griz were unable to grasp it. Our woes on the road with our offense reared its ugly head again – the Griz were averaging 13.3 on the road and even though they were playing against a much worse defense, they could only muster 14 points until about 6 minutes left in the game – they do tack on a later TD and are now at 21. Meanwhile the defense put forth a valiant effort but couldn’t do enough – mostly having major issues keeping Poly’s QB Brown under wraps. A few good plays would be followed up with a mistake – and Poly made them pay.

This season isn’t over yet, but it’s on the ropes and we’ll need much much more if there’s plans to get into the playoffs. This game was the warm-up for 3 more offenses that will only be more difficult than this one. The Griz need to re-group and do it fast.

Going back to my scouting report, here is what I said must be done for a win:

1. Score some damn points. Nope, didn’t do it. Piled up some yards early but were totally shut out in the 2nd half by a defense that’s not shown much. JJ had time but suddenly sacks started piling up, over-throws, negative yard plays. The tipping point was when the Griz stopped Poly on their side of the field, momentum was on our side, but the possession was wasted and the Griz had to punt.

2. Win in the red zone. Nope. Poly was perfect in the RZ, Montana just 1 trip.

3. Clean up tackling. Had some moments but then some lapses. No team is perfect in tackling and there were quite a bit of good stops. But the missed tackles at the wrong times – especially on Brown were very very costly.

4. Don’t let Brown run wild. That’s exactly what he did and the Griz had no answer.

5. Watch the deep ball. Defended well but on one play when Hermanson under-cuts a throw on a 3rd and long which sets up a Poly TD that blows the game wide open

6. Control the clock. Nope. Poly had its way with clock control. I posted that most of Poly’s wins came when they won in TOP. This game was more of the same.

7. More pistol-like offense for JJ. Worked in the 2nd quarter but fell flat in the 2nd half. I’m at a loss right now with what will work moving forward.

--------------------

I’d suggested this game had upset written all over it, looks like I was right. The game was tied at the half and I was actually feeling good going into the 2nd half but that same old issue came up – Poly adjusted well and the Griz didn’t. Execution errors and negative yardage plays sunk us. The Griz were handed opportunities but couldn’t cash in. In addition to the short field, down 13 with the offense getting a little bit going they opt to punt on a 4th and 1 at the start of the 4th quarter.

I hope the injuries to Van Ackeren (concussion I assume) and Whitted (shoulder) aren’t too bad and we can see them back soon. Vital guys to our defense. Straham and Dallaserra hung in there but were over-matched as the game went on.

I liked how the offense was showing more willingness to be aggressive and attack down the field. It seemed like for a while JJ had time to throw too.

So where do we go from here? Well I’m sure fans will want to burn it all down, cut all the players, sell the stadium, change our team colors, fire everyone, and demolish the M on Mount Sentinel. But I’m not throwing in the towel on this team. These players and coaches have worked too hard for too long to have a bunch of turds on a message board quit on them. Jump off the bandwagon if you want but I’m not going anywhere. All is not well, things need to change, and no I don’t like seeing the Griz get beat either – but the most I can do is keep showing up and supporting these guys. That’s my plan. You all can do as you choose.

Griz need to dust themselves off. With Sac and EWU in the next two weeks they have time for two big signature wins/upsets and can get right back into this. Safe travels home guys, GO GRIZ!

With the length of that post I'd almost bet you started writing your post game summary at half time.

I posted this in the game thread. Think it belongs here too.

This game was about execution, not coaching. Much like the NDSU game, the opposition doesn't do anything fancy, they do simple things and execute them to perfection.

The season is not over. It would have been great to win this game, but o-well. We pick ourselves up, dust off, and focus for Sac State. It is still entirely reasonable to think that we could win out. That would put us at 9-3 with big wins over MSU and EWU. I haven't given up, the GRIZ sure as hell won't, and neither should GRIZ nation.

GO GRIZ. Bring on Sac State.

*EDIT*: had to fix the fact that we play a 12 game schedule, not 11... :oops:

I don't want to jump ship either, but I'm not fond of standing starboard and watching the captain steer towards these icebergs.....

qwerty15ster said:
I
This game was about execution, not coaching. Much like the NDSU game, the opposition doesn't do anything fancy, they do simple things and execute them to perfection.

Bingo

So Brint, you don't believe that we get out coached and out game planned especially after halftime?

qwerty15ster said:

The season is not over. It would have been great to win this game, but o-well. We pick ourselves up, dust off, and focus for Sac State. It is still entirely reasonable to think that we could win out. That would put us at 8-3 with big wins over MSU and EWU. I haven't given up, the GRIZ sure as hell won't, and neither should GRIZ nation.

I do agree with you but only to a point. You can't sit there and tell me the griz didn't execute running it for only 3 or 4 yards on 2nd and 17... That's bad play calling. I don't know the exact number but I guarentee our ypr is absolutely atrocious and one of the worst in the league. We don't have the personnel to keep trying delaneys 1920s power run game. Our only 3 tds tonight came because we aired it out... The staff lacks the recognition of what our teams strength is and they do not call the plays to put our players in position to execute to the full potential. It would be like if Peyton manning was to play at Oregon. It just simply wouldn't work

Seriously guys! Aren't we constantly behind the eight ball on down and distance on "O" ? HOW MANY TEAMS ABOVE .500 HAVE WE BEAT THE LAST 3 YEARS?? Are our athletes being "coached up" to the level of the competition? I sure as hell DON'T feel "ELITE". No Way!... :egriz:

Brint, I have a lot of respect for you and how much of a fan and part of the Griz experience you have been. I know that this team will fight for its life for the rest of the season. I am just tired of seeing the coaching staff not scheme well enough, or adjust well enough, or even be aggressive enough. Those kids will go down swinging, but the staff has tied one of their hands behind their backs. It is a sad day when the only thing keeping a group of athletes who have busted their tails for an entire year, and more, is the very people who should be helping them be great.

I'm fed up with great people and players being used in a manner that makes them average at best. Haslam really needs a good long chat with Mick and his staff at the end of the season.

Eriul said:
qwerty15ster said:

The season is not over. It would have been great to win this game, but o-well. We pick ourselves up, dust off, and focus for Sac State. It is still entirely reasonable to think that we could win out. That would put us at 8-3 with big wins over MSU and EWU. I haven't given up, the GRIZ sure as hell won't, and neither should GRIZ nation.

I do agree with you but only to a point. You can't sit there and tell me the griz didn't execute running it for only 3 or 4 yards on 2nd and 17... That's bad play calling. I don't know the exact number but I guarentee our ypr is absolutely atrocious and one of the worst in the league. We don't have the personnel to keep trying delaneys 1920s power run game. Our only 3 tds tonight came because we aired it out... The staff lacks the recognition of what our teams strength is and they do not call the plays to put our players in position to execute to the full potential. It would be like if Peyton manning was to play at Oregon. It just simply wouldn't work
Seriously...some very good points here... :egriz:

qwerty15ster said:

I half disagree. There has been a lot of lack of execution this year but what about adjustments? What about spying Poly's QB and take your chances with your secondary? We have a young OL and yet we still try power running.....there has been blame on both sides this year on the coaches and players

qwerty15ster said:

Soooooo...in 2 and 1/2 years, it's been execution problems in 90% of the games against teams with winning records? I hope the players can clean this up...definately not a coaching issue.

stubbins said:
qwerty15ster said:

Soooooo...in 2 and 1/2 years, it's been execution problems in 90% of the games against teams with winning records? I hope the players can clean this up...definately not a coaching issue.
+1

putter said:
qwerty15ster said:

I half disagree. There has been a lot of lack of execution this year but what about adjustments? What about spying Poly's QB and take your chances with your secondary? We have a young OL and yet we still try power running.....there has been blame on both sides this year on the coaches and players

Bingo.

I think everyone and their mother could see the potential we have in the passing game. I think before the season started I was talking about how deadly it is on paper. And statistically our passing game is actually decent...when we do pass it... Fact is our running game does NOT work and everyone should know that. Hell I think we only put up 70 or so tonight on at least 20 tries... That's a horrible average... I'm not saying to change everything entirely but maybe we should stop game planning on "establishing the run" like we have been for the past fucking 3 years. It worked with lex, and chase, with our amazing o line but we don't have that line anymore. Time to adapt.

Back