• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ defensive sets

mtgrizrule

I just got home from work. I got 3 emails from 3 of my coaching friends (1 in MT, 1 in NV, and 1 in CA), they all hinted at the same thing after watching the Poly game. Here is what they are asking, maybe someone closer to the program that takes in practices can answer this.

They were surprised our defense did not experiment with additional run defense sets such as 5-2, 4-6 (many variations of it), or even resort to goal line packages being we were being gauged so badly against their run game. I actually have not paid much attention to the GRIZ defensive sets except in passing downs. They asked, what other defensive sets do the GRIZ run other than the 4-3? They feel our defense would fair much better and be more diverse if the GRIZ had more packages at our disposal. I really don't know. Does anyone know?

Of course that led me to being curious regarding our upcoming games against Sac State, EWU, and MSU, can we comfortably use nickel and dime packages more often against these high powered offenses? It looks like those packages would be much needed to slow those offenses down.

Thanks in advance for any and all input. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
I just got home from work. I got 3 emails from 3 of my coaching friends (1 in MT, 1 in NV, and 1 in CA), they all hinted at the same thing after watching the Poly game. Here is what they are asking, maybe someone closer to the program that takes in practices can answer this.

They were surprised our defense did not experiment with additional run defense sets such as 5-2, 4-6 (many variations of it), or even resort to goal line packages being we were being gauged so badly against their run game. I actually have not paid much attention to the GRIZ defensive sets except in passing downs. They asked, what other defensive sets do the GRIZ run other than the 4-3? They feel our defense would fair much better and be more diverse if the GRIZ had more packages at our disposal. I really don't know. Does anyone know?

Of course that led me to being curious regarding our upcoming games against Sac State, EWU, and MSU, can we comfortably use nickel and dime packages more often against these high powered offenses? It looks like those packages would be much needed to slow those offenses down.

Some say a "50" defense and it's variations work best against the triple options. But the Griz don't have a Curly Culp type to dominate at nose guard. Having a holy terror in the middle disrupts the dive play which is the first option. Rocky Long from San Diego State/New Mexico has had good success against the Triple Option with his famous 3-3-5 defensive scheme. Long brings up his safeties for run support but they're quick LB/safety hy-brids. Kinda like the Griz LBs. Long's Safeties "sell out" to stop the run. The triple option usually gets a lot of yards. If you can get some turnovers, it's easier to stop that offense. If not, it can be a long day.

CV Griz Fan said:
The triple option usually gets a lot of yards. If you can get some turnovers, it's easier to stop that offense. If not, it can be a long day.

Yep. We saw that Saturday....

That is what I was thinking that the Griz needed 5 guys on the line or at least a guy over the center to knock the center back into the dive play. But they rarely, I repeat rarely, if ever, get out of the base 4-3 defense, even if the other team comes up with 4 wideouts.

mtgrizrule said:

I had this same problem on Madden 15 and after much research found it was as simple as showing blitz before the snap. :lol: :lol: :lol: All kidding aside, it took them around a year or so to start using more nickel and dime coverage's after giving up passing records so by next season they should be good to go at stopping poly's option. :roll:

Back