• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Change in style???

JayLarson

Any chance that the coaching staff sees that we are going to have to out duel our opponents on the offensive side and decide to just go try and get points on the board, kind of like they did vs EWU last season, they came out and ran alot of the spread. What we have been doing is not working, so they must pass more on first down and take the for sure completions to create some second and third and shorts, getting into second and short allows the Griz to take those deep shots and if they don't complete them we still get another down to get the first. Most of the deep shots have been taking place on 3rd downs, and when they fall incomplete we punt. We have to start gaining at least 4 yards on every first down play.

The season is not lost, but it will be without some changes. Don't forget 2011 when Sac kicked our butts down there and then the Griz went on to the Semis that year. Teams need to play their best football in the last week of October through November, and the good news is, for this team there is no way that their best football of the season is behind them.

JayLarson said:
Any chance that the coaching staff sees that we are going to have to out duel our opponents on the offensive side and decide to just go try and get points on the board, kind of like they did vs EWU last season, they came out and ran alot of the spread. What we have been doing is not working, so they must pass more on first down and take the for sure completions to create some second and third and shorts, getting into second and short allows the Griz to take those deep shots and if they don't complete them we still get another down to get the first. Most of the deep shots have been taking place on 3rd downs, and when they fall incomplete we punt. We have to start gaining at least 4 yards on every first down play.

The season is not lost, but it will be without some changes. Don't forget 2011 when Sac kicked our butts down there and then the Griz went on to the Semis that year. Teams need to play their best football in the last week of October through November, and the good news is, for this team there is no way that their best football of the season is behind them.
Hope springs eternal.

Usually I look at Monday is the day to forget about the last weekend and look forward to the next one with hope, isn't that what being a fan and supporting your team is?

JayLarson said:
Any chance that the coaching staff sees that we are going to have to out duel our opponents on the offensive side and decide to just go try and get points on the board, kind of like they did vs EWU last season, they came out and ran alot of the spread.

I don't think you know what that word means. Spread offenses come in many shapes and styles, some "spread" offenses (that's not even the right term) are run heavy offenses.. like Oregon or Florida during the Tebow years. Some "spread" offenses are Air Raid. Some "spread" offenses are out of the pistol like Nevada during the Kaepernick years.. what "spread" offense do you suggest we run, or could have run, to out dual our opponents?

Look at the tape vs EWU last season if you need an exact reference. Of course I know what spread means and there are way too many variations of it to list, you can stop with all the crap of trying to make me look like I don't know the game. For the Griz this season it would mean having 3 wideouts, Van and Canada in the backfield together or Travon lined up as a wideout, and lots of motion to try and get mis-matches that can be exploited quickly to take pressure off of the o-line, and not just throw up long bombs. JJ could keep the ball on a read once in a while, and open things up for the running backs. No more I formation unless it is on a 1 to 2 yard to go play. Going no huddle and upping the tempo at times would help to.

JayLarson said:
Look at the tape vs EWU last season if you need an exact reference. Of course I know what spread means and there are way too many variations of it to list, you can stop with all the crap of trying to make me look like I don't know the game. For the Griz this season it would mean having 3 wideouts, Van and Canada in the backfield together or Travon lined up as a wideout, and lots of motion to try and get mis-matches that can be exploited quickly to take pressure off of the o-line, and not just throw up long bombs. JJ could keep the ball on a read once in a while, and open things up for the running backs. No more I formation unless it is on a 1 to 2 yard to go play. Going no huddle and upping the tempo at times would help to.
You make yourself look like you don't know the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I know the game, I have won multiple national championships on NCAA 13 with the Griz team, and I won the Super Bowl with the Titans on Madden 25 on all madden, so I really know the game well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you guys still huddle most of the time? You have JJ at center, and a veteran crew at the skill positions, you would think they would employ more of an "Up-tempo" style offense and use Van and Jones athletic ability to create mis-matches, while still using Canada to pound it up the middle and wear teaks down at the same time as keeping them honest. I know your O-line is not great this year, but this might make it easier on them as well (quick routs not having to block as long). Flame away

images

JayLarson said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I know the game, I have won multiple national championships on NCAA 13 with the Griz team, and I won the Super Bowl with the Titans on Madden 25 on all madden, so I really know the game well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol

JayLarson said:

You are asking coaches and players to change their philosophy in a few hours of practice. They can't even execute what they have been practicing since Spring Ball.

Funny we ran a ton out of the gun and even a fee option plays this weekend. Everyone said...get jj in space....get him in the gun....yet the most effective plays we had were drop backs and play action passes.

mtgrizfankb said:
Funny we ran a ton out of the gun and even a fee option plays this weekend. Everyone said...get jj in space....get him in the gun....yet the most effective plays we had were drop backs and play action passes.

I want to re-institute the shovel pass to Van.

Since MD revels in being "old school" let's go all out school and let our QB call the plays at the line for a half of no huddle up tempo and see how he does. Huddle only after first downs to get input from each player what their "man" is doing and exploit those tendencies. Let JJ diagram plays on the field in the rubber pellets.

On defense let the ML set the defense at the line for a half. Let him call blitzes on 10 plays in a row if he gets that feel.

Let the players do what the coaches won't: take chances with the talent, play to win rather than playing not to lose. Let's see how the offense and defense respond when they call the shots.

Leave MD with the important decisions like whether to call heads or tails on the coin toss, and Gatorade or Powerade on the sidelines.

Let an offense captain call punt, field goal or try on 4th down, a defense captain call return plays, and the special team captain choose which endzone to defend.

If the coaches did their jobs preparing a game worthy game plan, the players will know what to do on the field.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Since MD revels in being "old school" let's go all out school and let our QB call the plays at the line for a half of no huddle up tempo and see how he does. Huddle only after first downs to get input from each player what their "man" is doing and exploit those tendencies. Let JJ diagram plays on the field in the rubber pellets.

On defense let the ML set the defense at the line for a half. Let him call blitzes on 10 plays in a row if he gets that feel.

Let the players do what the coaches won't: take chances with the talent, play to win rather than playing not to lose. Let's see how the offense and defense respond when they call the shots.

Leave MD with the important decisions like whether to call heads or tails on the coin toss, and Gatorade or Powerade on the sidelines.

Let an offense captain call punt, field goal or try on 4th down, a defense captain call return plays, and the special team captain choose which endzone to defend.

If the coaches did their jobs preparing a game worthy game plan, the players will know what to do on the field.
That's the coolest idea I've heard in a long time. JJ just needs a Johny Unitas crew cut and a pair of birth control glasses.

SACCAT66 said:
Why do you guys still huddle most of the time? You have JJ at center, and a veteran crew at the skill positions, you would think they would employ more of an "Up-tempo" style offense and use Van and Jones athletic ability to create mis-matches, while still using Canada to pound it up the middle and wear teaks down at the same time as keeping them honest. I know your O-line is not great this year, but this might make it easier on them as well (quick routs not having to block as long). Flame away

This is valid and truthfully something a lot of people on this board would agree with. (I didn't say all, before someone jumps all over me.)

SACCAT66 said:

Good post. We happen to have a coach that revels in the fact the Griz still use a huddle.

ranco said:
SACCAT66 said:

Good post. We happen to have a coach that revels in the fact the Griz still use a huddle.

I've heard that we are going back to leather helmets for 2015...

Back