• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question about why the Griz are ranked in the top 15

GrizzleMoose

Do you think it is because of our history or do you actually believe we are a top 15 team this year? I know a lot of you will say that these rankings don't really mean anything but I am curious as to what others think in regards as to why we are still ranked in the top 15. We are 5-3. Our 5 wins are against teams with losing records, they are a combined 12-27. Our three losses are to two teams with winning records and Wyoming who has a losing record at the FBS level. Those three teams have a combined record of 16-8 (5 of those losses are Wyoming). if you take Wyoming out since they are FBS, Cal Poly and Ndsu have a combined record of 13-3. One of our wins was against C Washington, DII. Take that one out and the teams we have beaten are a combined 8-23. The Griz do not have a single "good" win yet this year.

Beating Sac State this weekend will be an ok win but not a "good" win. Southern Utah has only won 2 games this year but they have had a brutal schedule with 2 FBS teams and 3 ranked FCS teams. SUU would be a fairly "good" win and we all know that wins against EWU and MSU would be considered "great" wins.

I think that the Griz are only ranked in the top 15 because of our history. They really haven't shown that they deserve to be ranked that high, yet, in my opinion. Hoping they can pull out at least 3 wins in the next four weeks or no December football for the Griz.

Big G said:
History, we should not have been in the top 15 at any time this year.
Name the 15 teams that are better then us and why. I want statistical breakdowns, scheduel comparisons, and any other factors that may be included in deciding a top 15 team. You have been challenged, now go!

GrizzleMoose said:
Do you think it is because of our history or do you actually believe we are a top 15 team this year? I know a lot of you will say that these rankings don't really mean anything but I am curious as to what others think in regards as to why we are still ranked in the top 15. We are 5-3. Our 5 wins are against teams with losing records, they are a combined 12-27. Our three losses are to two teams with winning records and Wyoming who has a losing record at the FBS level. Those three teams have a combined record of 16-8 (5 of those losses are Wyoming). if you take Wyoming out since they are FBS, Cal Poly and Ndsu have a combined record of 13-3. One of our wins was against C Washington, DII. Take that one out and the teams we have beaten are a combined 8-23. The Griz do not have a single "good" win yet this year.

Beating Sac State this weekend will be an ok win but not a "good" win. Southern Utah has only won 2 games this year but they have had a brutal schedule with 2 FBS teams and 3 ranked FCS teams. SUU would be a fairly "good" win and we all know that wins against EWU and MSU would be considered "great" wins.

I think that the Griz are only ranked in the top 15 because of our history. They really haven't shown that they deserve to be ranked that high, yet, in my opinion. Hoping they can pull out at least 3 wins in the next four weeks or no December football for the Griz.
Everything starts with the preseason ranking, like it or not. So history goes into every ranking. It makes sense that the Griz were ranked high in the preseason. Until last weekend, the Griz didn't give voters any reason to drop them. Losses against #1 and an FBS school are not reasons to drop a team very far. Even the loss to Cal Poly is somewhat palatable in a voter's mind. Cal Poly is generally a good, winning football program and in the playoffs fairly consistently.

The preseason ranking makes sense. Seeded in the playoffs last year. Payton nominee at QB, Buchannon nominee DE, All conference WR's, RB's, etc. The o-lines injuries/issues had not occurred yet. Add a strong tradition of winning and there ya go.

The Griz are ranked in the top 15 because you are better than the teams ranked 15 or worse, simple as that.

The Griz have a strong history which tends to bode well for early season rankings so you won't drop too far because you start higher, but in reality, the Griz are a top 15 team.

The fact that so many on hear think the sky is falling is crazy. You guys won't lose to Sac at home and things are going to be fine. You won't lose to SUU on the road either. EWU probably won't have Adams against you and you get the Cats at home, things are going to be fine for the Griz.

One loss, to a good Cal Poly team on the road, and everything goes to hell...You lost to an FBS team on the road, the #1 ranked FCS team on the road, and a Cal Poly team on the road who played you as if it was their super bowl.

As much as I hate to say it, things will be fine in Griz land....

GrizzleMoose said:

I get your point but it really doesn't matter why the Griz are ranked number 15. Like you said, if the Griz win 3 of their last 4 games, they're most likely going to make the playoffs. Maybe UM's football history helps
them but this Griz team still has to get results on the field to go anywhere. There are two huge factors that may favor the Griz in their quest to finish the year strong IMO. One is the injury to Adams and the other is a HOME game against MSU. But it all starts with a victory against Sac St......

marceagfan5 said:
The Griz are ranked in the top 15 because you are better than the teams ranked 15 or worse, simple as that.

The Griz have a strong history which tends to bode well for early season rankings so you won't drop too far because you start higher, but in reality, the Griz are a top 15 team.

The fact that so many on hear think the sky is falling is crazy. You guys won't lose to Sac at home and things are going to be fine. You won't lose to SUU on the road either. EWU probably won't have Adams against you and you get the Cats at home, things are going to be fine for the Griz.

One loss, to a good Cal Poly team on the road, and everything goes to hell...You lost to an FBS team on the road, the #1 ranked FCS team on the road, and a Cal Poly team on the road who played you as if it was their super bowl.

The voice of reason

I agree (hope) that things are fine and believe that the Griz have a very good chance of winning 3 of 4. My biggest concern is the fact that we dont have any "good" wins under our belt. They are winning the games that they should win but beating Cal Poly would have been a great confidence builder going into a difficult 4 game stretch. Not only did we lose, but we basically got destroyed by an unranked team. Granted it was on the road against a very good team but those are the games that you need to win to get that momentum going.

History, definitely. For those of you old enough to remember, it was a long time before cracking the Top 25, then a slow, agonizing climb, then finally consistently Top Ten(or better). What we have on the field now, as a group, wouldn't be in the top 25. Look at the Massey Ratings and compare the various rating devices. Coaches and Media polls are joke.

alabamagrizzly said:
Big G said:
Name the 15 teams that are better then us and why. I want statistical breakdowns, scheduel comparisons, and any other factors that may be included in deciding a top 15 team. You have been challenged, now go!

Here are 29 teams that are better. They use the statistics, can't break it down
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

1 North Dakota State Bison
2 Villanova Wildcats
3 New Hampshire Wildcats
4 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
5 Illinois State Redbirds
6 Jacksonville State Gamecocks
7 Eastern Washington Eagles
8 Richmond Spiders
9 Youngstown State Penguins
10 Montana State Bobcats
11 Fordham Rams
12 McNeese State Cowboys
13 Eastern Kentucky Colonels
14 Indiana State Sycamores
15 Southeastern Louisiana Lions
16 South Dakota State Jackrabbits
17 Chattanooga Mocs
18 Liberty Flames

marceagfan5 said:

Jesus, it's a sad day when an eagle fan has to come in and bring common sense to the board. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Big G said:
2 Villanova Wildcats
3 New Hampshire Wildcats
8 Richmond Spiders
10 Montana State Bobcats
11 Fordham Rams
12 McNeese State Cowboys
17 Chattanooga Mocs
18 Liberty Flames

We ROLL 11, 13, 14, 15, 17 and 18. Probably beat 12 (depending on which McNeese and which Montana teams show up) and 16 is probably a tossup.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Big G said:

History also tells us that nobody will listen to a god damn word you say!

No doubt but I cannot make the posters here any smarter you are what you are. Thinking everything is ok in Griz nation is pure poppycock, plain and simple.

Pin2Win said:
GrizzleMoose said:

Everything starts with the preseason ranking, like it or not. So history goes into every ranking. It makes sense that the Griz were ranked high in the preseason. Until last weekend, the Griz didn't give voters any reason to drop them. Losses against #1 and an FBS school are not reasons to drop a team very far. Even the loss to Cal Poly is somewhat palatable in a voter's mind. Cal Poly is generally a good, winning football program and in the playoffs fairly consistently.

The preseason ranking makes sense. Seeded in the playoffs last year. Payton nominee at QB, Buchannon nominee DE, All conference WR's, RB's, etc. The o-lines injuries/issues had not occurred yet. Add a strong tradition of winning and there ya go.

Two reasons the voters had to drop the Griz before the loss.
1. A blocked field goal in the last minute, then kicking the game winning field in the final seconds against UND.
2. UCDavis has the ball with 3:11 left in the game down by 7, with a chance to win or tie. UCDavis lost by 40 to the Cats.

That is a trend of squeaking by two low end teams in the BSC. Plenty of reason for anyone to lower them, when other teams were playing better.

AZGrizFan said:
Big G said:
2 Villanova Wildcats
3 New Hampshire Wildcats
8 Richmond Spiders
10 Montana State Bobcats
11 Fordham Rams
12 McNeese State Cowboys
17 Chattanooga Mocs
18 Liberty Flames

We ROLL 11, 13, 14, 15, 17 and 18. Probably beat 12 (depending on which McNeese and which Montana teams show up) and 16 is probably a tossup.

We don't roll anyone anymore. It is funny you of all people are the leading authority on Fordham football and watching all those Eastern kentucky football games that you have this year tells you all you need to know. ha hah a ha haha When it comes to your posts do not give up your day job. :roll:

Robsnotes4u said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Big G said:

Here are 29 teams that are better. They use the statistics, can't break it down
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Rob you are wasting your time these guys are blind homers and logic hasn't been around here for years. You are correct on the informartion you prosted, it is hard to argue with math.

Big G said:
AZGrizFan said:
Big G said:
2 Villanova Wildcats
3 New Hampshire Wildcats
8 Richmond Spiders
10 Montana State Bobcats
11 Fordham Rams
12 McNeese State Cowboys
17 Chattanooga Mocs
18 Liberty Flames

We don't roll anyone anymore. It is funny you of all people are the leading authority on Fordham football and watching all those Eastern kentucky football games that you have this year tells you all you need to know. ha hah a ha haha When it comes to your posts do not give up your day job. :roll:

30-6
55-17
47-14
55-27
42-7
42-6
38-13
42-28
48-14

ALL scores of games we've won in the past 15 months.

Back