• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Haslam's Stamp

mtgrizrule

As much as I enjoy the hope, talk, and possibilities with the new hire of Stitt, let's talk about the impact this hire is for Kent Haslam.

I applaud Kent for the decision to go away from the same old same old, and go against the grain with this hire. Granted, the hiring of Stitt is a gamble. Kent has some serious balls to take this gamble this early in his AD career. In my opinion, Kent just made his make or break decision. Only time will tell which way this decision leads Kent?

Honestly, it is refreshing to know he went with professional advise and recommendations that are the who of who in college football circles. He stood his ground against some heavy handed Hauck backers. He chose to go away from safe and sound in favor of hitting the jackpot or nothing at all. Professionally, Kent went "all in" drawing on the river for a gut shot straight flush. This decision also defines Kent as is own person at Montana, and not an Engstrom puppet. I have no idea what role Engstrom had in this hire, but it makes a favorable impression in my mind for Haslam.

In 3 to 5 years from now, Kent very well could have put himself in the running for major AD jobs. What a time for anyone to be the AD here. 1st hire for women's softball, a difficult hire to replace an all time great GRIZ men's basketball coach, and finally the most difficult hire for GRIZ football. All these hires within a short time of one another. Every eye in GRIZ NATION and national college football and basketball are on him to see the results of these difficult hires. I cannot see him ever having to make this many critical AD decisions in this short of time again. Could these hires be what defines Haslam and his future? In the world of college athletics in a college athletic town, I definitely feel these hires are just that for him. I bet he is damn relieved to have all the hiring behind him. No wonder he wanted this hire to be done by Christmas. Sounds like he has earned the best Christmas and New Year anyone can have.

With that said, "Cheers to you Kent." This GRIZ fan feels you have done GRIZ NATION proud. I feel GRIZ NATION will be looking to find your replacement when you move on to better things as a result of what you just did for the GRIZ.

Congrats to Kent Haslam for having the guts to go forward! We will love what he has done for the University for years to come. Thanks Kent!

Can we PLEEEASE stop acting like Hauck was the safe hire?

Hauck was the main reason our program is on probation, he failed, spectacularly I might add, at his most recent job, and there's absolutely ZERO guarantee he would have done any better than Delaney did. The big sky and FCS aren't what they were when he was here.

It's over.

Let it go.

uofmman1122 said:

Hauck was the main reason our program is on probation, he failed, spectacularly I might add, at his most recent job, and there's absolutely ZERO guarantee he would have done any better than Delaney did. The big sky and FCS aren't what they were when he was here.

It's over.

Let it go.

Dude, if I did not let it go, I'd be bitching about Hauck not being named coach. I have embraced and supported the Stitt hire. If anyone has to let go of anything, it is those who are telling others to let go of Hauck. For the record..............I have.

uofmman1122 said:

It's over.

Let it go.

Agreed.

Let's face it....all the Hauck advocates are the same ones that won't go for the par 5 in 2. Afraid of knocking it in the water, or OB, blah blah blah. They will lay up, take the for sure Par and keep the score (program) where it's at.

Meanwhile.....the other guy is going for it in 2, and just knocked it stiff, and made the eagle.

Plenty of Eagles to come. Way to go Haslam.

mtgrizrule.......I never took your post as "not letting Hauck go"

The only thing I'm taking issue with is how you implied Bobby was a safer pick than Stitt, and you have nothing to base that on besides assumptions.

Maybe it's just me, but it had a very sour grapes feel in between all the "rah-rah".

Consider the quote better the devil you know. That's why Hauck was considered the safe choice. He didn't get hired. Everyone is excited for the new guy. Get over your Hauck dissing. You probably don't know that not everything under papa bears tenure wasn't peaches either. Old news.

uofmman1122 said:
The only thing I'm taking issue with is how you implied Bobby was a safer pick than Stitt, and you have nothing to base that on besides assumptions.

Maybe it's just me, but it had a very sour grapes feel in between all the "rah-rah".

Technically Hauck was the safer pick. He's from Montana, he's had success at Montana. He's got the DI experience, whereas Stitt is somewhat a gamble, but the odds are more in Stitt's favor than they are against him. That's what I got out of mtgrizrule's writeup.

The other thing, and I am not sure how much of a hand Kent has in this process but I would think he has a say, is scheduling a REAL Basketball schedule. It has been refreshing to one of the toughest preseason schedules I can ever remember.

Yes, the Griz are sub .500 now but I think we'll see the benefits come league play.

Just curious Texas Griz, do you know how many times Bobby Hauck was named in the finall NCAA report? I do because I read it cover to cover more than once. He's NOT the main reason the football program is on probation right now. YOU DO REALIZE Montana SELF-PROPOSED the sanctions??? Or are you not aware of that?

I wanted Bobby. For those of you who revere the Don Read era, and of course revere Dave Dickinson, as I do, think about this. Dave Dickinson said "He's the greatest coach the program has ever had". He said that to Scott Mansch of the Great Falls Tribune less than two weeks ago. Guess what, he was TALKING ABOUT BOBBY HAUCK. Not Don Read. And he wasn't asked about Hauck, he wasn't goated into saying something nice about Hauck. He was offering an opinion on potential candidates for the Griz' job. I was in the minority when Hauck was here. I didn't think there was anything wrong with his offense whatsoever. I don't think you can run a vanilla offense and produce the most prolific WR in school history, the second-most prolific running back in school history, and two of the Top 7 quarterbacks in school history and be mediocre or bad offensively. I do not believe that's possible. No, no one can predict what BH would have done the second time around. I do know he would have brought Tim Rosenbach back with him as his OC, (which I wasn't crazy about). I do know Ty was excited about staying on as DC with BH at the helm. But everyone is right, there would have been no gaurentee that BH would have been as successful this time around. Never-the-less, he was my choice the minute the UNLV thing went down.

Having said that, I'm very excited about Stitt. Wanting Bobby had nothing to do with Stitt not being ready or not being deserving of the job. I believe Stitt will do great things here, and I told someone today, after going 8-3 this coming season, I expect UM to blast the Big Sky in 2016 and nothing short of a semifinal appearance will be acceptable. And I think if UM finds its QB and a dominant running back, that will happen in 2016.

Point is, you don't need to rip Bobby to justify Stitt being hired. In my mind, if it was down to those two, Kent couldn't really go wrong.

rogermp said:
The other thing, and I am not sure how much of a hand Kent has in this process but I would think he has a say, is scheduling a REAL Basketball schedule. It has been refreshing to one of the toughest preseason schedules I can ever remember.

Yes, the Griz are sub .500 now but I think we'll see the benefits come league play.

I believe it was said on this week's coaches show, I think Montana has the 18th toughest out of conference schedule in the nation. Personally, I like the tough road games. Imagine what an upset over CAL, BSU, CSU, or Davidson would have done. The losses to USF and Millwaukee though are head scratchers.

As for my original post, the point is some pretty highly thought of and recognized donors/ contributors were very much wanting Hauck's return. They did not not get their way. Good thing is, from what I hear the GRIZ have not lost any financial support from any of them either. Kent is pretty respected by most.

[/b]This decision also defines Kent as is own person at Montana, and not an Engstrom puppet. I have no idea what role Engstrom had in this hire, but it makes a favorable impression in my mind for Haslam. [/b]

I am not trying to be a jack wipe by asking this, but why do you think Engstrom was not involved in the decision? I view it the exact opposite. Engstrom wanted to play it safe and Hauck was not that guy. Stitt has a squeaky clean reputation and is the safe bet. We're boosters pressuring for Hauck? Likely they were and Rolls was not going to buckle under that pressure. Haslam may have been handcuffed big time on this hire and we just don't know it. I am very happy with the hire and hope you are correct with your analysis BTW

Copper Griz said:
[/b]This decision also defines Kent as is own person at Montana, and not an Engstrom puppet. I have no idea what role Engstrom had in this hire, but it makes a favorable impression in my mind for Haslam. [/b]

I am not trying to be a jack wipe by asking this, but why do you think Engstrom was not involved in the decision? I view it the exact opposite. Engstrom wanted to play it safe and Hauck was not that guy. Stitt has a squeaky clean reputation and is the safe bet. We're boosters pressuring for Hauck? Likely they were and Rolls was not going to buckle under that pressure. Haslam may have been handcuffed big time on this hire and we just don't know it. I am very happy with the hire and hope you are correct with your analysis BTW
Dont worry CopperGriz, you aren't being a wipe by asking the question. I'm the same camp as you on this. I see the invisible stamp of RE all over this, play the safe hire. Go with the coach who emphasizes accountability and responsibility. Dont get me wrong, I'm on the Stitt bandwagon. But that doesnt mean I dont see RE in the background pulling Haslam's strings. That is the cynic in me talking. :p

uofmman1122 said:

I think he just meant that he wouldn't really be blamed if Hauck layed an egg here. If Stitt bombs Kent won't get another gig so Stitt really is a riskier pick. I do agree with Stitt over Hauck personally. That team Hauck put together at UNLV coundn't have won the BSC.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grizzoola said:
I'm sure Joe Glenn's input on hiring Stitt was influential.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Davey Deuce?
Ah'm goin' on long assosiashun 'tween Glenn & Stitt, w/ Glenn's assosiashun wid MT. Ah'm shure dey's a connekshiun, thar. Un Ah think Stitt got haigh rekumendashuns fum Glenn & Haslam lisuned to um. Got it? Harhar!

Some guessing Royce made the hire must be eating dog donuts. Kent simply told Engstrom Stitt was the guy and why he wanted him. Engstrom is of course Haslams boss but it was Haslam telling Engstrom it was Stitt. Engstrom signed off on it knowing the Board of Regents would rubber stamp the good choice. No other sneaky or off sided information was given concerning this hire. Done deal!

Grizzoola said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Grizzoola said:

Ah'm goin' on long assosiashun 'tween Glenn & Stitt, w/ Glenn's assosiashun wid MT. Ah'm shure dey's a connekshiun, thar. Un Ah think Stitt got haigh rekumendashuns fum Glenn & Haslam lisuned to um. Got it? Harhar!

Doubtful.

Grizzoola said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Grizzoola said:

You do realize that Glenn had only a 2 year association with the UM over a decade ago. It is really doubtful anyone even asked his opinion.

Back