• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs Ivy League

rogermp

I've been asking the question for a number of years. Why not consider scheduling a game with some of the top programs in the Ivy League?

Harvard, even though they don't participate in the FCS Playoffs as consistently ranked in the Top #20 for a number of years. This year they finished 10-0.

Now that UM has a coach with ties to the Crimson program. Maybe now we can finally make this happen?

What do your think Stitt and Haslam?

There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team. Imagine the Pioneer league with less athleticism but better facilities. That's not a slight on Ivy league football, they would dominate Trivial Pursuit and they will all make more money than God. We can't all be good at everything; they can't play football and I was no good at Trig, it happens.

SaskGriz said:
There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team. Imagine the Pioneer league with less athleticism but better facilities. That's not a slight on Ivy league football, they would dominate Trivial Pursuit and they will all make more money than God. We can't all be good at everything; they can't play football and I was no good at Trig, it happens.

If that is the case why do they keep making the FCS top 20?

SaskGriz said:

If the Ivy League is so bad how did Yale beat Cal-Poly 24-10 in 2013? It took OT for the Griz to beat that same Cal-Poly team at home in the friendly confines of WGS in 2013.

Which Ivy School did PR attend? A match up against the GRIZ and them could be the only time we could experience PR with conflicting thoughts regarding the GRIZ. For this reason alone, make it happen. (I mean that in a good humor PR. Not slighting you).

rogermp said:
SaskGriz said:

If the Ivy League is so bad how did Yale beat Cal-Poly 24-10 in 2013? It took OT for the Griz to beat that same Cal-Poly team at home in the friendly confines of WGS in 2013.
No kidding, the conference is generally weaker than the BSC but not by much. Yale beat Army this year.

rogermp said:
SaskGriz said:

Good point, Poly has no history of inconsistency. Except this year when they beat UM and MSU back to back and then lost to ISU and UC-Davis.lol I meant over a full season. Go to "myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com and see how Sur Ross (yes that is a real school in Del Rio Texas, is better than Oregon)

SaskGriz said:

It's easy to see that you didn't go to the Ivy league. What a totally ignorant first sentence, as has already been pointed out.

The top half of the Ivies could compete well in the Big Sky. The bottom half, not so so much. They're done around the bottom several of the Big Sky.

SaskGriz said:
rogermp said:
SaskGriz said:

Good point, Poly has no history of inconsistency. Except this year when they beat UM and MSU back to back and then lost to ISU and UC-Davis.lol I meant over a full season. Go to "myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com and see how Sur Ross (yes that is a real school in Del Rio Texas, is better than Oregon)

Sask, I believe that should be "Sul Ross" rather than Sur.

As I have said previously, Montana almost got a game put together with Dartmouth, a number of years ago when UM had an open weekend. UM ended up with Albany. With authorization from the AD, I worked with Dartmouth for about 5 weeks, to try to set up the game. The Dartmouth coach and asst AD in charge of scheduling were all for it, but the president wouldn't authorize dumping a game with UNH (who has almost dumped the game with Dartmouth the prior year when they thought they had a chance to play Syracuse).

The AD was a big believer in having an Ivy team here, and would have done a home-and-home too--to show the players and Griz fans an Ivy school. Thought it would have been a great experience.

I am currently doing very preliminary work on a UM-Dartmouth game. Don't know if it can be put together. Would be out a number of years. The nice thing about the Ivies is that they are not looking for money games. They are looking to play good or interesting games, and with like-minded schools. The Ivies have been scheduling down too much in recent years, in my view--which is not to say that they win all of those game either.

Dartmouth seems to have made a comeback, finally, in recent years, so that it wouldn't embarrass itself against UM. Dartmouth beat Yale this year, in a great battle, a couple weeks after Yale beat Army. Harvard continues to be the big dog in the Ivies, as it has been for a decade or so.

At Harvard's recruiting dinner last Saturday, with over a half dozen recruits along with parents, some of the talk was about Stitt being hired at Montana. As you know, Stitt had been the OC at Harvard.

rogermp said:
I've been asking the question for a number of years. Why not consider scheduling a game with some of the top programs in the Ivy League?

Harvard, even though they don't participate in the FCS Playoffs as consistently ranked in the Top #20 for a number of years. This year they finished 10-0.

Now that UM has a coach with ties to the Crimson program. Maybe now we can finally make this happen?

What do your think Stitt and Haslam?

Could throw in the HBC also. Think a few years ago, weren't we trying to schedule Grambling State in Las Vegas?

I am guessing cost is part of the equation in not playing Ivy League schools--it costs a lot of greenbacks to fly the team to New England, (Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale), PA (U of Penn), NJ (Princeton). or NYC (Columbia) and NY state (Cornell).

"There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team."

Both conferences, top to bottom: i.e., any Big Sky team. Just think about that for a minute and let it sink in.

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

It's easy to see that you didn't go to the Ivy league. What a totally ignorant first sentence, as has already been pointed out.

The top half of the Ivies could compete well in the Big Sky. The bottom half, not so so much. They're done around the bottom several of the Big Sky.

Of course I didn't go to an Ivy league school. In Canada if we want to go to a school with a big reputation we go to Queens or McGill, the Ivy league is where we send female hockey players. I went to the U of Montana, why else would I be a Griz fan?

I can't respond to the second part as I don't understand it. Must be lost in translation.

Has someone ever died from jacking off too much???? Because if Dartmouth came to Missoula to play....we may have our first ever case...get the RIP PlayerRep signs ready!

SaskGriz said:

Princeton finished 4th in the Ivy and lost to San Diego by 10, Harvard who went undefeated their 3 out of conference wins were against Lafayette (Patriot league 3-3, 5-6), Holy Cross (Patriot League 2-4, 4-8), and Georgetown (Patriot League 1-5, 3-8). So I might be wrong about my opening statement, but....

SaskGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

Princeton finished 4th in the Ivy and lost to San Diego by 10, Harvard who went undefeated their 3 out of conference wins were against Lafayette (Patriot league 3-3, 5-6), Holy Cross (Patriot League 2-4, 4-8), and Georgetown (Patriot League 1-5, 3-8). So I might be wrong about my opening statement, but....

And Harvard was ranked 14th in the nation, with only EWU and UM above them. Looks like most of the nation, and certainly the pollsters, don't agree with you.

This was your statement that some are disputing (and I am calling ignorant). "There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team." Either defend this statement, or admit that it's wrong. I love to hear your arguments how CP was actually better than Yale last year, or how the bottom of the Big Sky is better than Harvard and top of the Ivies. Then, if you want, the discussion can move on to another topic about the strength of the Ivies.

Well coach Stitt did say that recruiting to the Ivies was much easier, so no excuse for them not to be good................

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

Of course I didn't go to an Ivy league school. In Canada if we want to go to a school with a big reputation we go to Queens or McGill, the Ivy league is where we send female hockey players. I went to the U of Montana, why else would I be a Griz fan?

I can't respond to the second part as I don't understand it. Must be lost in translation.
Lowly layman!

Back