• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Another great Stitt article

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I had no idea he has coached 4 players who have gone on to the NFL as well as CSM's and RMACs first ever Harlon Hill winner (d2 equivalent of the Heisman).

More I read on this guy, the more impressed I am. We got a good one!

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/01/06/beyond-fundamentals-the-story-of-bob-stitt-and-the-colorado-school-of-mines-football-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stitt has a lot of credentials and a good offensive mind. It is kinda a head scratcher that he has'nt taken a more prestiges job sooner whether it would have been a OC at a higher profile school or another HC job. 15 years at the same school with his record deserves a move up in the ranks. That being said I think he will do just fine with the Griz and we were able to convince him this was the job for him when I assume other schools could not make the case in the past.

Just dawned on me. Stitt has the swagger (or "swag" depending on how old you are) and it apparently rubs off on his colleagues, his players and his fans.

Kind of like a quiet type of "The Fonz" swagger but hey...if it works....it works.

*adjusts collar, does the thumbs up, exits diner"

signedbewildered said:
Just dawned on me. Stitt has the swagger (or "swag" depending on how old you are) and it apparently rubs off on his colleagues, his players and his fans.

Kind of like a quiet type of "The Fonz" swagger but hey...if it works....it works.

*adjusts collar, does the thumbs up, exits diner"

Yep he is a new age coach, in fact ahead of his time..hes a pioneer, how many coaches do you know that have their own websites? selling their own awesome shirts?? Many people will probably deny that having that new age attitude and swag isn't important, but it IS HUGE...kids are going to wanna play for this man!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
... Yep he is a new age coach, in fact ahead of his time..he's a pioneer, how many coaches do you know that have their own websites? selling their own awesome shirts?? Many people will probably deny that having that new age attitude and swag isn't important, but it IS HUGE...kids are going to wanna play for this man!
I re-watched the Fox profile video, just to refresh my memory. What struck me was when they included some seconds with one of his players. That young man (not a kid) obviously loved playing for this guy. But he was also "with it." He knew that, given the right situation -- Go Griz! -- Coach Stitt would move on. After all, some Mines graduates probably made as much or more money than the coach within a year or so out of school ... maybe right out of school. And the athlete understood the challenge aspect. When he said they'd "be proud" for the coach to be recognized at the next level, he sounded like he really meant it.

(My thoughts about Stitt really jumped when I first saw that video.)

Another good article. I don't know if this has been already posted or not..

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...st-support-hiring-bob-stitt-montana/20573385/

New Montana Grizzly football coach Bob Stitt will be formally introduced at a press conference Friday morning in Missoula and isn't supposed to be responding to media questions until then.

So Griz fans will have to wait a bit to learn all about their new coach.

But Stitt returned a call Wednesday afternoon. He said he tries to get back to everybody, even reporters he hasn't met.

Of course he didn't have to do that. And that says a lot about the man right there.

The Nebraska native is leaving NCAA Division II Colorado School of Mines for the Grizzly job. His emotions?

Well, Stitt couldn't really say.

"They didn't want me to do it, and I don't want to make anybody mad on my first day," Stitt said with a laugh.

Stitt compiled a 108-62 record and dominated the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference at the Arvada, Colo., school. His coaching resume includes stops at Harvard, NAIA Doane (Neb.), for which Stitt played three sports, NCAA III Austin College in Texas, and Northern Colorado.

Stitt worked for head coach Joe Glenn, the former Grizzly mentor who is now leading the South Dakota Coyote program, for several years. In fact, Stitt named a son after Glenn.

"Joe is a great friend," said Stitt, who was working on his master's and served as a grad assistant on Glenn's UNC staff.

Glenn, who led the Grizzlies to the 2001 national championship, is on board with Stitt's taking over the program.

"He sent me one of the nicest emails anybody's ever sent me," Stitt said.

Stitt also knows Mike Van Diest, the highly successful Carroll College coach.

"He's a great man and a heckuva coach," said Stitt.

Likewise, said Van Diest.

"I think that's a good hire," said Van Diest. "He's a good person and he coached for Joe Glenn. So I'm excited for him."

Van Diest is also very good friends with Glenn, whose son Casey played and coached at Carroll.

"Bob has done a great job at Mines, so that's pretty exciting for him," Van Diest said. "I think he'll be a good head coach. I hope he has a great career over there."

Stitt apologized for not answering any more questions. He said the road ahead is exciting and he can't wait to get started.

"I am fired up," said Stitt. "It's a fantastic opportunity."

Stitt wanted a chance to move up to a higher level of coaching, and I believe he will come to Montana very hungry to prove himself as a great coach, the more I read, the more I think that this might be the most exciting coach that could have been hired. The other plus is that he has been a head coach before in college, not like the last 2 Griz coaches, which should eliminate the learning on the job that led to a few more losses then we would like, and a sub 500 season. This will not happen under Stitt.

JayLarson said:
Stitt wanted a chance to move up to a higher level of coaching, and I believe he will come to Montana very hungry to prove himself as a great coach, the more I read, the more I think that this might be the most exciting coach that could have been hired. The other plus is that he has been a head coach before in college, not like the last 2 Griz coaches, which should eliminate the learning on the job that led to a few more losses then we would like, and a sub 500 season. This will not happen under Stitt.

Agree!

Go Griz!

Back