• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach with the most talent Year 1?

GeauxGriz

With talk of expectations for the first year coach next year, it got me to thinking -

Which coach over the last five or six had the most talent to work with in their first year? Rank'em:

Dennehy
Glenn
Hauck
Phlugrad
Delany
Stitt

Depends on what positions or side of the ball you're talking about. Delaney had lots of talent on offense and d line, but his secondary got torched all year.
Mick Dennehy probably inherited the most well rounded,talented ready to go teams we've given to a new coach. If it weren't for Randy Moss it would have been back to back chippers for the GRIZ!

Rhinehart LAT#35 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1. Phlugrad
2. Phlugrad
3. Phlugrad
4. Phlugrads Daughter

How about we spell his name right? :thumb:

Pflugrad

Anybody know what his daughter Amanda is doing now?

She is a reporter for the New York Jets. I have seen her on TV quite a bit for their games.

Dennehy. End of story. 96 was LOADED!!

Hauck had quite a bit, but I am pretty sure he brought Ochs in himself.

I would say #1 most talented first year team for any coach is -- Dennehy - the 1996 team was maybe the most talented UM team ever. Lost to Moss.

Then:

2) Glenn - Lost to Hofstra for his opener

3) Hauck - Lost to DII NDSU and the kittens

4) Delany - First losing season in 20 years

5) Pflugrad - First to miss the playoffs in years - lost BSC

6) And I think the guy that has inherited the most challenging situation of all the coaches in the last 20 years is Stitt. Plus we still have self imposed loss of scholarships. He has his work cut out for him. We'll see what he can do, but let's keep this in perspective here.

1. Dennehey - the 96 team was maybe better than the 95 or 2001 team, it just ran into an insane Marshall squad and the unstoppable Randy Moss.

2. Pflugrad - debated on this but I think if you consider the guys that team had before the system change and the devastating injuries, that was a loaded squad. If Hauck were still coach and if the team didn't get so beat up it may have been a national title team.

3. Glenn - took them all the way to the natty. Had great depth and was the spring-board into the 2001 national champs team.

4. Hauck - had Ochs but he was still finding his way, great first year for Justin Green. A couple of losses that season could be pinned on Bobby's transition to being a head coach (NDSU - ugh).

5. Delaney - by virtue of losing JJ for the year I'd put this at the bottom, team morale was low and some coaches (Rosenbaugh and Burtnett) simply didn't want to be there even. Tough year even though it was a fairly talented group of guys. Defense was a big issue that year.

grizpack said:

That's what my first thought was as well. Although I do recall Joe Glenn had a pretty good squad his first year as well.

Agree on Pglugrad's team for second place. Talent and hungry to get back to the NC. Watching Vilanova celebrating while walking into the lockeroom....... Had to be tuff. That was a sleepless in chatty for me. I'm sure it was motivation for the players!

BWahlberg said:
1. Dennehey - the 96 team was maybe better than the 95 or 2001 team, it just ran into an insane Marshall squad and the unstoppable Randy Moss.

2. Pflugrad - debated on this but I think if you consider the guys that team had before the system change and the devastating injuries, that was a loaded squad. If Hauck were still coach and if the team didn't get so beat up it may have been a national title team.

3. Glenn - took them all the way to the natty. Had great depth and was the spring-board into the 2001 national champs team.

4. Hauck - had Ochs but he was still finding his way, great first year for Justin Green. A couple of losses that season could be pinned on Bobby's transition to being a head coach (NDSU - ugh).

5. Delaney - by virtue of losing JJ for the year I'd put this at the bottom, team morale was low and some coaches (Rosenbaugh and Burtnett) simply didn't want to be there even. Tough year even though it was a fairly talented group of guys. Defense was a big issue that year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he had Ochs until later in the 2003 season, right? If I remember, Ochs wasn't really 100% until midway through the 2004 season. When he hit his stride, it was pretty impressive.

GeauxGriz said:
With talk of expectations for the first year coach next year, it got me to thinking -

Which coach over the last five or six had the most talent to work with in their first year? Rank'em:

Dennehy
Glenn
Hauck
Phlugrad
Delany
Stitt

Dennehy and no one else is even close.

grizpack said:

Totally agreed. That team was awesome. Tough to beat a Marshall team at home anyway, then add Randy Moss. I still remember those green and white striped socks. The Griz didn't have an answer for him.

BDizzle said:
Rhinehart LAT#35 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1. Phlugrad
2. Phlugrad
3. Phlugrad
4. Phlugrads Daughter

Pflugrad

She is a reporter for the New York Jets. I have seen her on TV quite a bit for their games.

Yup. She's been with the Jets for the season. Has some other opportunities after the season. One of my favorite posters had dinner with her in NYC last month.

PlayerRep said:
BDizzle said:
Rhinehart LAT#35 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1. Phlugrad
2. Phlugrad
3. Phlugrad
4. Phlugrads Daughter

Pflugrad

Yup. She's been with the Jets for the season. Has some other opportunities after the season. One of my favorite posters had dinner with her in NYC last month.

Ha! One of your favorite posters. :thumb:

Back