• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Chase Excelling with Rams

firmgriz

DONOR
With two games to play, Chase Reynolds leads the Rams with 16 tackles on special teams. But he is anything but comfortable.
“It’s a great feeling to be up on top, but when you have special-teams guys like Daren Bates, (Benny) Cunningham, Will Herring and all those other guys, it’s tough to stay in front,” the running back from Montana said. “But it’s a good thing because it gives you motivation to keep working. I think this is one helluva special-teams group, a group with a lot of athletic guys, and to be on top in tackles is a pretty good honor.

“Just want to keep working and hopefully come up with a few more tackles before the season’s over.”

Reynolds, a second-year pro who spent most of the 2011 and 2012 seasons on the practice squad, was tied for third on the squad with six special-teams stops a year ago.

His 16 tackles this year put him ahead of Bates (10), Trey Watts (eight), Cody Davis (seven), Herring (seven) and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander (five).

“I’ve got two games to catch him,” kidded Bates, a second-year pro from Auburn. “It’s a competition, but it’s about pushing each other to try to make everybody better.”

In a recent 24-0 win at Washington, the combination of Reynolds, Bates and Watts played key roles to foil a Redskins fake punt.

“I felt something was up. I heard a check that caught my attention,” Reynolds said. “I alerted the guys and we were able to make a play.”

When Washington punter Tress Way tried to run for a first down, he was met by Watts, who turned him inside for Bates to make the stop.

“It’s always great to make a play, but that was fun because it showed we could run a fake and also defend it,” Bates said.

Watts, an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Tulsa, has adapted quickly to his new role with the Rams.

“In college, I was always the return man, so this whole world has been pretty new to me,” the 22-year-old said. “It took some getting used to at first — I had to play more physically and learn to throw my body around a little more than I’m used to — but I feel like I’ve done pretty well. Over the last month or so, I really feel like I’ve been catching on and making some plays.’’

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_86eb7eba-b974-5e37-899d-7dd40071bdc2.html

Way to go Chase!!

Back