• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt- A new Generation coach!

BadlandsGrizFan

Despite what many people think of the hire, Bob Stitt is exactly what this program needs to get back to the top again. This man is an innovator and at the forefront of the future of college football. Even NFL teams are beginning to run up tempo offenses now, and this man basically invented the thing. He was drawing up this style of offense before Chip Kelly.

The Big Sky especially is trending towards needing to score a lot of points to win the conference. When Montana ran the table in the early 2000s we were playing a style nobody else could keep up with. We were at the forefront and had the perfect coach for that time. Now look at Eastern, they've been the class of the BSC as far as wins and losses go for the last couple years. Why because they were the first to bring the next "BIG THING" the the BSC, and they reaped the benefits. Stitts offense is jumping what EWU has done and once again we will be playing a brand of football that is hard to duplicate. Pair that with our defense and we will once again have a damn dominant program.

As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program. I know a lot of you old timers don't think much about the social media presence, but guess what, that's what the 17-18 yr old kids these days LOVE and they will LOVE and want to play for a coach that in their eyes seams young, energetic, and with the times.

This hire IMO has once again put Montana at the front of the college football wave, instead of paddling to stay up and surf. Adapt or die....Kent Haslam has chosen to adapt!

Honestly everyone on here for the last two years screamed about needing new blood in the program. Someone to bring this generation to UM football. Someone to get us out of old trends and living in the past. That is exactly what this hire holds. It holds the new generation of football. Today in college football you need to score points. We need new minds, we need to forget the almost coulda shoulda woulda talk about the 2000's. It's 2015, we welcome new ideas and new generation coaching to lead us to the top of the BSC and FCS. Tradition has its place but don't hold onto tradition too long to get you by.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Despite what many people think of the hire, Bob Stitt is exactly what this program needs to get back to the top again. This man is an innovator and at the forefront of the future of college football. Even NFL teams are beginning to run up tempo offenses now, and this man basically invented the thing. He was drawing up this style of offense before Chip Kelly.

The Big Sky especially is trending towards needing to score a lot of points to win the conference. When Montana ran the table in the early 2000s we were playing a style nobody else could keep up with. We were at the forefront and had the perfect coach for that time. Now look at Eastern, they've been the class of the BSC as far as wins and losses go for the last couple years. Why because they were the first to bring the next "BIG THING" the the BSC, and they reaped the benefits. Stitts offense is jumping what EWU has done and once again we will be playing a brand of football that is hard to duplicate. Pair that with our defense and we will once again have a damn dominant program.

As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program. I know a lot of you old timers don't think much about the social media presence, but guess what, that's what the 17-18 yr old kids these days LOVE and they will LOVE and want to play for a coach that in their eyes seems young, energetic, and with the times.

This hire IMO has once again put Montana at the front of the college football wave, instead of paddling to stay up and surf. Adapt or die....Kent Haslam has chosen to adapt!
First, as a geezer-rep, I must point out that it's still about wins and losses ... and wins are not a given, no matter how innovative and "cool" the coach is.

On the other hand. I too am pretty damned excited about the potential of this hire. First of all, his "with it" image should indeed play well with this generation of players. Still, he's been dealing with recruits, and parents, who take education seriously, so he can obviously talk "down to earth" about the nuts and bolts. He seems like a nice blend of "modern jazz" and old-school "success requires work and commitment."

As for "building a brand." The Griz have probably already received more positive (brand-building) publicity from this hire than anything we've seen in years (if ever).

So: "Just win, baby."

IdaGriz01 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program. I know a lot of you old timers don't think much about the social media presence, but guess what, that's what the 17-18 yr old kids these days LOVE and they will LOVE and want to play for a coach that in their eyes seems young, energetic, and with the times.

First, as a geezer-rep, I must point out that it's still about wins and losses ... and wins are not a given, no matter how innovative and "cool" the coach is.

On the other hand. I too am pretty damned excited about the potential of this hire. First of all, his "with it" image should indeed play well with this generation of players. Still, he's been dealing with recruits, and parents, who take education seriously, so he can obviously talk "down to earth" about the nuts and bolts. He seems like a nice blend of "modern jazz" and old-school "success requires work and commitment."

As for "building a brand." The Griz have probably already received more positive (brand-building) publicity from this hire than anything we've seen in years (if ever).

So: "Just win, baby."

I agree, it is all about wins and losses, so hopefully he can bring us a lot more wins than losses. Also don't let my old geezer comment throw you. I am actually a big fan of old school, smack you in the mouth football, sadly the BSC isn't anymore. I think you can still be very physical running the spread though as well.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program. I know a lot of you old timers don't think much about the social media presence, but guess what, that's what the 17-18 yr old kids these days LOVE and they will LOVE and want to play for a coach that in their eyes seams young, energetic, and with the times.

excellent post!

Bob Stitt is already any Sports information Director's dream come true. UM will get a lot of mileage out of this guy. He is clearly the most high profile coaching hire in anybody's memory.

It hardly seems fair that Dave Guffey won't be around to turn the crank...

"As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program..."

This got me to thinking about a thread from a while back (I think from the first part of the season, I cant find it) about how WGS isn't as loud as it used to be, the excitement not being there (like it once was) and it was suggested that the die hard fans are getting up there in age....uhmmmm...or dying. Maybe it was the "swagger" thread, I forget.

Anyway this coach may be the spark we need to get the next generation to fill in that NEZ little by little and bring that electricity back. No offence to the loyal fans that have endured this program through thick and thin. Please continue to attend games and yell your lungs out as long as you are physically and mentally able to but none of us are getting any younger and Stitt (or "Stitty" as some of his colleagues refer to him) if he does well may just be what the younger generation needs to connect once again to Griz football.

signedbewildered said:
"As far as his T-Shirts and Tweeting game goes, this is perfect for the new generation. This man will build a Griz brand like no other coach has before for the UM. He had tons of followers while he was the coach at a freaking D2 school, imagine what he can do with the Griz brand and a storied program..."

This got me to thinking about a thread from a while back (I think from the first part of the season, I cant find it) about how WGS isn't as loud as it used to be, the excitement not being there (like it once was) and it was suggested that the die hard fans are getting up there in age....uhmmmm...or dying. Maybe it was the "swagger" thread, I forget.

Anyway this coach may be the spark we need to get the next generation to fill in that NEZ little by little and bring that electricity back. No offence to the loyal fans that have endured this program through thick and thin. Please continue to attend games and yell your lungs out as long as you are physically and mentally able to but none of us are getting any younger and Stitt (or "Stitty" as some of his colleagues refer to him) if he does well may just be what the younger generation needs to connect once again to Griz football.

They just ordered 20,000 more seats from Monkey Wards with beer cup holders...

Silvertip said:
Bob Stitt is already any Sports information Director's dream come true. UM will get a lot of mileage out of this guy. He is clearly the most high profile coaching hire in anybody's memory.

So we need "new generation" in a HC, but not in a SID? We have needed new blood there for a long time.

kemajic said:
Silvertip said:

So we need "new generation" in a HC, but not in a SID? We have needed new blood there for a long time.

Agreed. My thought when I read that post was that actually, this is just the type of coach to match with a new SID who gets the modern media world...

The dude proudly took his son to Comic Con.

If that doesn't win you over, I don't know what will. :lol: :clap:

Badlands, I agree, excellent observations - thanks for sharing!

Perhaps this has already been mentioned but I believe the Montana atmosphere, setting, ambiance, and livability were huge in drawing Coach Stitt to Missoula. The football program is obvious but I have a strong feeling that that big "M" on Mount Sentinel was more than symbolic - it is interesting that he has been coaching for fifteen years below a big "M" on the mountain in Colorado.

I lived next to Golden in Lakewood, Colorado, in 1982-1983 - my next move was to Glacier National Park. The inexplicable draw of Montana is strong to very many people, including football players and coaches. The lifestyle, wilderness, environment, and recreational opportunities are unmatched. I think Coach Stitt and Mrs. Stitt knew a good thing when they saw it.

You made the right decision, Coach! Enjoy the ride! We plan to!

kemajic said:
Silvertip said:

Agree. We usually don't agree but this is spot on.

Hammer said:
kemajic said:
Silvertip said:

Guess I was thinking it would've been nice if he'd left with a brighter memory from his UM tenure than the tragic loss of his son. Sentimental me...

Technically he's old news. He's been doing it for 15 years now. The new generation is probably someone young and upcoming, like Lubick at Oregon.

Silvertip said:
Hammer said:
kemajic said:
Silvertip said:

Guess I was thinking it would've been nice if he'd left with a brighter memory from his UM tenure than the tragic loss of his son. Sentimental me...

That tragedy is a personal issue really doesn't have anything to do with his professional job.

ordigger said:
Technically he's old news. He's been doing it for 15 years now. The new generation is probably someone young and upcoming, like Lubick at Oregon.
And Rollovich at Nevada, Smith at Udub.

Back