• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sports Network preview fall 2015 NOT in Top 17

armonte

DONOR
Seems The Sports Network does not consider Montana to be in the top 17 for next years rankings, seems a little harsh!

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_01_13_2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly I can see their reasoning. New coach, new QB and a brutal schedule. Not saying I agree but I can see how they landed there.

The last paragraph does have Montana in consideration for the top 17:
Five others to consider: Harvard (10-0; No. 15), Montana (9-5; No. 13), South Dakota State (9-5; No. 12), Stephen F. Austin (8-5; unranked), Western Carolina (7-5; unranked).

As much as I want to believe Montana will be in the top 17 to start the season off, I can see why they don't have us in the top 17. New head football coach, new offensive system, new starting quarterback, losing Wags and others to graduation, etc... Montana will be top 25 to start the season no doubt, but will have to work their way to the top.

VERY early discussion and we all know it isn't how you start, but how you finish that really matters. :)

get'em_griz said:
Five others to consider: Harvard (10-0; No. 15), Montana (9-5; No. 13), South Dakota State (9-5; No. 12), Stephen F. Austin (8-5; unranked), Western Carolina (7-5; unranked).

As much as I want to believe Montana will be in the top 17 to start the season off, I can see why they don't have us in the top 17. New head football coach, new offensive system, new starting quarterback, losing Wags and others to graduation, etc... Montana will be top 25 to start the season no doubt, but will have to work their way to the top.
+1. Better to start low and work up, than to start high and fall down.

The Griz have 15 players who started at one time or another back (if you include kicker and punter). In addition to this, they have four other players in Henderson, Naccarato, Kidder and Schmaing who were prospective starters at the beginning of last season and didn't get to play much at all. Without a doubt, they have the talent to be in the top 15. Quarterback play and the adjustment to a new offense will be the keys. Talent is definitely not lacking though.

if you look around the country every good team has a great offense. any team with half a defense can win 10 games as long as the offense is getting things done. with stitt coming in i see this team having a lot of success and with the defense we have, we can win a lot of games. also watching college football if i have learned one thing it's that replacing a QB is not that hard. OSU for example won a championship with a 3rd stringer. FSU last year won it all with a RS FR. NDSU won it this year with a first year starter. no reason the griz should not be a top 17 team especially with the returning talent from last year.

'68griz said:
get'em_griz said:

+1. Better to start low and work up, than to start high and fall down.

As our feline friends can attest.

Griz took a huge step down when Coach Hauck left. Phflu tookus back a little more then Delany dropped us out of top 15 on a regular basis. My calculations are we will struggle to be in the top 25 and lose to the Cats on a semi regular schedule. Stitt will take the fight out of Montana football and Engstrom knows it. Most of you need to get ready to be northern arizona and not a top program like we once were when Coach Hauck was here.

Big G said:
Griz took a huge step down when Coach Hauck left. Phflu tookus back a little more then Delany dropped us out of top 15 on a regular basis. My calculations are we will struggle to be in the top 25 and lose to the Cats on a semi regular schedule. Stitt will take the fight out of Montana football and Engstrom knows it. Most of you need to get ready to be northern arizona and not a top program like we once were when Coach Hauck was here.

giphy.gif

If coach Hauck is so great , why is he sitting on his couch right now? He obviously is not pulling interest. Also word from some people at unlv was the football programs academic standards were taking a huge hit. I'm glad he's not back. I know a few players we not sure if they would stay of he was hired

Why would you want players afraid of hard work and trying to have a tough guy attitude? Griz team is as soft as a cow during calving season.

Big G said:
Why would you want players afraid of hard work and trying to have a tough guy attitude? Griz team is as soft as a cow during calving season.

Be a true Griz fan. Please post your picture here so that picture and this quote can be plastered on every wall and player locker in the locker room for spring and fall camps.

Big G, please go on permanent vacation, or quit letting us all know how you feel about Hauck not being hired!!! We know where you stand. There is nothing you or anyone can do to change the decision. So how about having an open mind and support it? I am sure there were doubters of you at one position or another throughout your life. I am sure when all was said and done, every bit of support helped. Please, for the sake of egriz, move on about this hire, and support coach Stitt, the players, and GRIZ NATION.

Consider:

1. New coaching staff

2. Loss of Jordan Johnson, TraVon Van, and Jordan Canada on offense

3. Loss of Zach Wagenmann, Tonga Takai, and Matt Hermanson on defense

4. Five of the 11 games booked for the 2015 season are against teams that finished in the top 25

5. NCAA penalties still in effect

Yeah... I can see why pollsters would be pessimistic on Montana. They'll be proven wrong, but I get it.

I hope we start the season in the 20's . When we upset NDSU. We will jump half the pack. Honestly give this team a reason to wanna play. We have top 10 talent walking o. The field next year.

mtgrizfankb said:
I hope we start the season in the 20's . When we upset NDSU. We will jump half the pack. Honestly give this team a reason to wanna play. We have top 10 talent walking o. The field next year.
we should beat the bison next year. they lost a ton to graduation and the game is here.

mtgrizfankb said:
I think you will need to score 40 to beat NDSU. 4-5 starting offensive lineman returning plus 2013 starter Zack Johnson back from injury. QB back. All but 1 WR back. Plenty of RB and TE talent. Top two FBs back. OC in his second year. The offense should be the strength early on.

westnodak93bison said:
mtgrizfankb said:
I think you will need to score 40 to beat NDSU. 4-5 starting offensive lineman returning plus 2013 starter Zack Johnson back from injury. QB back. All but 1 WR back. Plenty of RB and TE talent. Top two FBs back. OC in his second year. The offense should be the strength early on.

You will have to fall eventually. No matter how amazing NDSU has been, its only a matter of time that a team won't come together. You were beatable this year. However NDSU did what NDSU does and pull together and won. I just don't see it happening forever and I believe we will have a great shot starting next year.

westnodak93bison said:
mtgrizfankb said:

But what about the defense? That is the biggest weakness for the Bison going into 2015, whereas the defense for Montana next year looks to be just as good as it was in 2014 (that we hope for). With the game being in Missoula, I don't think the Griz will need 40 to win. 30 is the magic number.

Back