• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Green Bay Packers

grizindabox

DONOR
The poster children for playing it safe and not stepping on the throats of the opponent. This is why I have no issue when teams run up the score. Offenses are suppose to score points and defenses are supposed to stop them from doing it...

And don't get me wrong, I am not talking when bottom tier FCS school is playing a FBS money game...but if you are playing a "like-kind" school...bury them

grizindabox said:
The poster children for playing it safe and not stepping on the throats of the opponent. This is why I have no issue when teams run up the score. Offenses are suppose to score points and defenses are supposed to stop them from doing it...

And don't get me wrong, I am not talking when bottom tier FCS school is playing a FBS money game...but if you are playing a "like-kind" school...bury them
We must have watched two different games cus I didn't see Green Bay letting up to not crush them. I seen a whole bunch of missed opputunites that Green Bay should have but didn't capitalize on. I did have my green and yellow shaded glasses on though.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizindabox said:

We must have watched two different games cus I didn't see Green Bay letting up to not crush them. I seen a whole bunch of missed opputunites that Green Bay should have but didn't capitalize on. I did have my green and yellow shaded glasses on though.
I'm a Packer fan also. Green Bay did not capitalize on Seattle mistakes, but the Seahawks sure did.

Green Bay was aggressive for a strong portion of the game. This is, historically, one of the best defenses in the NFL they were up against and they were doing enough to keep Seattle at bay. After Wilson's 4th pick the Packers continued failures in execution finally did them in.

I think that loss (saying this as a die hard Pack fan) is a mix of both a melt-down from playing it safe late in the game and the horrific amount of mistakes and failures in game-time execution by the Packers.

1. Twice having to kick fieldgoals from within the 3 yard line.

2. A pick in the end zone and a pick on the Seattle 30. At the very least that took 6 points off the board for Green Bay.

3. The 4th interception our safety (Burnett) could've run probably 30 or more yards back but instead he slides down on his butt. Massive error that's largely being over-looked.

4. Bostick was supposed to block the Seattle player - was even told to do so, but didn't. Jordy Nelson standing right behind him ready to basket-catch the ball.

5. Wilson was picked off 3 times by safeties yet in OT the Packers go with no safeties deep and it takes a handful of plays and they're burned.

-------

It wasn't just "playing not to lose" that cost them the game, but it was a part of it.

I think the biggest play in the game was that 3rd and I think 19ish, that the packers only rushed 3 and had no pass rush. Wilson had all day and threw that long pass. If they would have held there, game over.

BWahlberg said:
Green Bay was aggressive for a strong portion of the game. This is, historically, one of the best defenses in the NFL they were up against and they were doing enough to keep Seattle at bay. After Wilson's 4th pick the Packers continued failures in execution finally did them in.

I think that loss (saying this as a die hard Pack fan) is a mix of both a melt-down from playing it safe late in the game and the horrific amount of mistakes and failures in game-time execution by the Packers.

1. Twice having to kick fieldgoals from within the 3 yard line.

2. A pick in the end zone and a pick on the Seattle 30. At the very least that took 6 points off the board for Green Bay.

3. The 4th interception our safety (Burnett) could've run probably 30 or more yards back but instead he slides down on his butt. Massive error that's largely being over-looked.

4. Bostick was supposed to block the Seattle player - was even told to do so, but didn't. Jordy Nelson standing right behind him ready to basket-catch the ball.

5. Wilson was picked off 3 times by safeties yet in OT the Packers go with no safeties deep and it takes a handful of plays and they're burned.

-------

It wasn't just "playing not to lose" that cost them the game, but it was a part of it.

Thats numero uno right there..

There was nothing aggressive about kicking the first field goal...they let the Hawks off the hook by kicking

Green Bay's performance reminds me of that time the Griz and/or an FCS team played in the NFC championship. Three match points, and they couldn't even get a double play or a traveling call. Maybe the worst icing call I've ever seen.

Lifelong Packer fan. Any loss used to just about kill me. However, once you have kids, and live through their sports, these don't seem quite as important anymore. I have learned that the sun still rises the next day. However, this one kept me awake last night.

I wasn't for kicking the FG's in the 1st Quarter. But we got points.

Even the faked FG I can live with. Not sure why it didn't cross anyone on GB sidelines that this may happen. I guarantee you everyone at our table was talking about it before the ball was ever snapped. May want to have a couple of guys deep in that situation. 3 points doesn't hurt. 7 does.

#3 is where it all went bad.

He kneels down when he could have run for at LEAST 30 yds, had blockers in front of him, and the only players left to tackle him were the offensive linemen and Wilson. Then 3 straight runs up the middle. Lose yardage on every one of them. Shanked punt gives Seattle great field position. They have momentum and shove it down our throats. Breakdown on defense on the drive. Onside kick misplayed. Touchdown. Terrible secondary breakdown on 2 point conversion. Lose coin flip. Seattle scores. Game over.

Green Bay played not to lose, and it cost them. But a HUGE amount of credit to Seattle. They took advantage of every mistake in the 4th quarter. They couldn't afford a misstep, and didn't make one.

grizpack said:
Lifelong Packer fan. Any loss used to just about kill me. However, once you have kids, and live through their sports, these don't seem quite as important anymore. I have learned that the sun still rises the next day. However, this one kept me awake last night.

I wasn't for kicking the FG's in the 1st Quarter. But we got points.

Even the faked FG I can live with. Not sure why it didn't cross anyone on GB sidelines that this may happen. I guarantee you everyone at our table was talking about it before the ball was ever snapped. May want to have a couple of guys deep in that situation. 3 points doesn't hurt. 7 does.

#3 is where it all went bad.

He kneels down when he could have run for at LEAST 30 yds, had blockers in front of him, and the only players left to tackle him were the offensive linemen and Wilson. Then 3 straight runs up the middle. Lose yardage on every one of them. Shanked punt gives Seattle great field position. They have momentum and shove it down our throats. Breakdown on defense on the drive. Onside kick misplayed. Touchdown. Terrible secondary breakdown on 2 point conversion. Lose coin flip. Seattle scores. Game over.

Green Bay played not to lose, and it cost them. But a HUGE amount of credit to Seattle. They took advantage of every mistake in the 4th quarter. They couldn't afford a misstep, and didn't make one.

They had a couple run,run, pass, punt drives in the early 3rd quarter also..

If a team throws 4 interceptions and is rewarded with a trip to the Super Bowl. its safe to say their opposing team did a lot more wrong than let the gas up...........

tnt said:
If a team throws 4 interceptions and is rewarded with a trip to the Super Bowl. its safe to say their opposing team did a lot more wrong than let the gas up...........

You must give credit to the Seattle defense. Only allowing 6 points on 5 turnovers is crazy...but I believe Green Bay's offense is on the hook for their approach.

tnt said:
And for all the missed opportunities, they had one last chance to ice the game. They had the "hands" team out there for the "obvious" onside kick -- as they should have. Then the GB guy (#86, I think) goes up to grab the ball and lets it go right through his hands. He makes that play, the Packers get the ball near midfield and have a chance to run out the clock. Might have taken at least one first down, since Seattle had one TO and the Two-Minute-Warning stoppage ... but still. Even if they went three-and-out, they could have burned a minute or so and pinned Seattle deep.

Instead, the Seahawks have the ball near midfield and are all charged up ... and the rest is history.

As a Hawk and Vikings' fan, I have shed no tears for Green Bay.

I was mystified why McCarthy didn't go for the TD's in the first quarter, first half when GB was down close to Seattle's goal line. He probably thought 3 points were better than a goose egg, but he also probably knew or at least should have that he wasn't going to beat The Hawks at home in Seattle with field goals.

The great news for GRIZ Nation is Brock Coyle has a chance as a member of The Hawks to win a ring a year after starting for us as our MLB--how cool is that ?

For that to happen, though, Seattle is going to have to play two good halves, not just one, and Wilson can't throw 4 int's again, and the Hawk D is going to have to get a good rush on Tom Brady. If that doesn't happen, Brady will pick apart The Hawk D, and it is going to be a long afternoon and early evening for The Hawks !!!

Sure Ha Ha's play on the two point conversion was bizarre. He just seemed to freeze. Probably from shock that it was happening. But the kid had two picks and nearly had a third. Ha Ha played well. You can't come down on him too hard.

That hit Wilson took was unbelievable. I think that was why he played so poorly......

grizindabox said:
There was nothing aggressive about kicking the first field goal...they let the Hawks off the hook by kicking

I take the other side. I am a Seahawk fan and I agreed with his call. You have Aaron Rogers at QB. Give him as many points to work with on the road as you can and it was working. 16-0 lead in the first half and 19-7 lead with 5 minutes to go is usually enough for GB to win their games.

billingsgriz said:

I was mystified why McCarthy didn't go for the TD's in the first quarter, first half when GB was down close to Seattle's goal line. He probably thought 3 points were better than a goose egg, but he also probably knew or at least should have that he wasn't going to beat The Hawks at home in Seattle with field goals.

The great news for GRIZ Nation is Brock Coyle has a chance as a member of The Hawks to win a ring a year after starting for us as our MLB--how cool is that ?

For that to happen, though, Seattle is going to have to play two good halves, not just one, and Wilson can't throw 4 int's again, and the Hawk D is going to have to get a good rush on Tom Brady. If that doesn't happen, Brady will pick apart The Hawk D, and it is going to be a long afternoon and early evening for The Hawks !!!

The last 2 QB's Tom Brady has faced in the SB and won was Jake Delhomme and Donovan McNabb...... :D

putter said:
billingsgriz said:

The last 2 QB's Tom Brady has faced in the SB and won was Jake Delhomme and Donovan McNabb...... :D

Hmmm.....McNabb the greatest Eagle qb of all time, and one of the best of his generation in his prime, and Delhomme who that year had a damn good year. Poor attempt at a knock.

putter said:
grizindabox said:

I take the other side. I am a Seahawk fan and I agreed with his call. You have Aaron Rogers at QB. Give him as many points to work with on the road as you can and it was working. 16-0 lead in the first half and 19-7 lead with 5 minutes to go is usually enough for GB to win their games.

As am I, and I felt pretty good about the decision...but definitely not an aggressive decision by the Pack.

Back