• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vernon Adams transferring to Oregon?

grizcountry420

http://fishduck.com/2015/01/ewu-qb-...to-oregon-huge-risk-or-huge-reward-for-ducks/

Who is Vernon Adams? Maybe the next quarterback for the Oregon Ducks. Daily rumors are swirling as to potential candidates to become the next quarterback at Oregon. Monday, Head Coach Mark Helfrich said, “We’re going to exhaust every path to find the right guy, the right fit, but we certainly believe in who’s on campus and what’s to come.” One intriguing “path” — Eastern Washington’s junior quarterback, Vernon Adams.

Adams is scheduled to graduate this spring and still has one year of eligibility remaining, making a transfer to Oregon possible. Can this kid play? Husky fans know. Back in September, Adams lit up Husky Stadium for 473 yards passing and seven touchdown passes in the near upset of the heavily-favored Huskies.

Following the UW game, likely first-round NFL Draft choice Shaq Thompson said of Adams, “The quarterback was better than I thought; he can throw on the run, scramble and he can run.”

In another Pac-12 showdown last season against Oregon State, Adams led the Eagles to an upset victory with 518 total yards (411 passing, 107 rushing) and six touchdowns (four passing, two rushing).

For the Eagles, Adams finished his junior season with nearly 3,500 yards passing and 35 touchdowns as compared with only eight interceptions, despite missing four games with a broken foot (an average of 350 yards and 3.5 touchdowns per game).

Upon graduating from Bishop Alemany High School in Mission Hills, California, Adams held only two scholarship offers, from Eastern Washington and the Portland State Vikings. Generously listed as 5’11” and 180 lbs, size definitely played into Adams’ lack of interest from FCS schools.

However, Ducks fans remember another vertically-challenged signal caller in Jeremiah Masoli, who took the Oregon program to the Rose Bowl in 2010. NFL.com‘s Charles Davis compared Adams to Johnny Manziel and others to Vikings great Fran Tarkenton.

Pac-12 analyst and NFL great Ronnie Lott said of Adams, “The guy is special. Sometimes you see special and recognize special . . . this kid is special.”

It remains to be seen if Oregon coaching staff has interest in Adams or visa versa but this story is definitely something to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

CDAGRIZ said:
I've heard some rumblings that this is very close to being almost a done deal.

Wow. It had crossed my mind he would go with Baldwin if Baldwin went to OSU but had forgot about it since. I too vote yes.

Personally I want him to stay an Eagle and take his medicine this year. I absolutely don't want this guy to spend the rest of his life saying he never loss to the Griz. He comes back, and we smoke them this year. End of story.

If VA has higher aspirations and a better shot at the NFL, transfering to the ducks might be a good move for him.

However he knows he is the starter at EWU. Going to Eugene is he a shoe in as starter? Surely has more playing time at the college level than any current Duck QB and has show he can compete against Pac 12 talent! Also to note he competed against Pac 12 talent on an FCS team. Imagine what he could do with 3 or 4 Cooper Cup type recievers?

Give it a shot VA!!

ordigger said:
Personally I want him to stay an Eagle and take his medicine this year. I absolutely don't want this guy to spend the rest of his life saying he never loss to the Griz. He comes back, and we smoke them this year. End of story.
This. I want the Griz to beat him so bad. I wonder how many QB's who have played two or more games against us that have never lost against us. I know Lulay was 3-1 and Vernon's now 3-0.

alabamagrizzly said:
ordigger said:
This. I want the Griz to beat him so bad. I wonder how many QB's who have played two or more games against us that have never lost against us. I know Lulay was 3-1 and Vernon's now 3-0.
4-0 (including the playoff game this year)

alabamagrizzly said:
ordigger said:

Just an FYI, Adams is 4-0 against the Griz...

Gotta love the rumor mill...no doubt Adams will be on the field in Eugene next season...

Marc, I can promise you this is more than just Egriz rumor mill. I'm not by any means saying VA will leave EWU, but I know for a fact Washington would take him in a heartbeat, and he will be eligible to play FBS next fall if he indeed walks through graduation this spring.

havgrizfan said:
Marc, I can promise you this is more than just Egriz rumor mill. I'm not by any means saying VA will leave EWU, but I know for a fact Washington would take him in a heartbeat, and he will be eligible to play FBS next fall if he indeed walks through graduation this spring.

Hav - I don't disagree and if Adams has the chance to start for a good Pac 12 school then he'd be crazy not to take it. He is on track to graduate this spring so he can enroll at a school after that as long as it offers a degree EWU doesn't. But...the likelihood of this actually happening is extremely small...

grizfnz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ordigger said:
4-0 (including the playoff game this year)
Sorry, I had honestly blocked that out of my memory. Add that to the stuff my memory loses on its own and I ain't got much memory left. :D

Either was he plays in Eugene next year. If he left his first fbs game would be vs EWU. How ironic. I doubt VA does this. His draft stock will already be very high. However if he went to Oregon it would make or break him. At EWU he is lock to get drafted next year in a mid round. At Oregon he could move up to a first round or drop out all together. I think he stays because he already has proved he has the talent and its less of a risk for him to play at EWU. He of course loves EWU as well.

mtgrizfankb said:
Either was he plays in Eugene next year. If he left his first fbs game would be vs EWU. How ironic. I doubt VA does this. His draft stock will already be very high. However if he went to Oregon it would make or break him. At EWU he is lock to get drafted next year in a mid round. At Oregon he could move up to a first round or drop out all together. I think he stays because he already has proved he has the talent and its less of a risk for him to play at EWU. He of course loves EWU as well.

I think that's right. As a Christian father, I doubt he would uproot his family like that.

mtgrizfankb said:

He won't go 1st round with as critical the NFL is regarding QB height. Even a good year in the PAC 12, I am guessing at best 3rd or 4th round pick. Brees and Wilson were not even 1st rounders because of their height.

mtgrizrule said:
mtgrizfankb said:

He won't go 1st round with as critical the NFL is regarding QB height. Even a good year in the PAC 12, I am guessing at best 3rd or 4th round pick. Brees and Wilson were not even 1st rounders because of their height.

Tell that to Mr.Winston. he is what 5 ft 11?

Back