• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our TE's and FB's

alabamagrizzly

So with all the Woody drama going on, I started to wonder what was going to happen with the rest of our guys that don't quite fit the offense. I know I focused on TE's and FB's but they're not the only ones.

If you look at Col SofM roster, there are no TE's or FB's on it. I'm sure they're plays that require or could use a FB/TE type of guy but they're probably limited. I've heard(either eGriz or Go Griz) that Stitt was going to shuffle some of these guys that don't quite fit. There's a couple I sure will transfer but there's some I'm hoping will find a new position, or rather go back to an old position. I want to look at each guy and see if there might be a better fit fir them.

1st the FB's
Jamal Wilson will be a 5'11" 250 RSSr next year. Any play in Stitts play book that calls for a lead blocker had damn well better have Wilson's name on it. As far as a defensive switch, that might be a tuff move. He excelled at MLB in high school but I think he might be too slow at the 1-AA level. One eGrizzer jokingly suggested DT but it might be a better fit. He's deffenetly strong and stout and has enough time to physically prepare a little more. It would be cool to have a two way player also. :)

Austin Chadderdon redshirt last year with the hopes of earning the starting FB spot his So year. Now that he has to find a new position, DE might be his best bet. 6'2" and 240(Go Griz says 200 but I think that's wrong cus his hudl vid says 230 and all the 2014 signing class reports have him at 240), he should be a decent size. His Sr year at Coeur d'Alene, he led the state of Idaho with 14.5 sacks while his team won its third straight state title. He also started at center for them.

Riley Kack will be a RSFr and at 6'1" 240, the offensive line might be his future home. At Bozeman he finished his career fifth in school history with 82 knockdowns. Of Coure both him and Chadderdon are walk ons and may decide to transfer to another school also though I think Chadderdon would be a good addition to our D line.

The TE's
Mike Ralston is a bit too big for the type of TE Stitt is looking for at 6'5" and 245. He is the perfect size for the deffensive line where he excelled in high school. As a DT his Sr year he had 8 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss. That's alot of RB's stuffed up the middle for a loss. He might not be big enough for the tackle spot but if he dosnt bulk up, he could play just as well, if not better at DE.

Josh Horner is one of the few that should keep his position. The soon to be RSSo is 6'4" and 205 and very athletic which he proved his Sr year of high school when he was forced to play QB and ran for only 27 touchdowns and throwing another 10 while totaling over 2400 yards of offence. He will fit the big inside receiver mold very well.

Cooper Sprunk will probably move to the O line i think. At 6'4" and 250, I remember a brief mention of him expeirimenting at the line in spring last year but I don't think it lasted long so mabey not.

Jermaine Jones also may stay at the TE spot. The RSJr is 6'2" and 225 and watching his video, he is deceptively fast and makes some tuff catches. I think when a bigger receiver is needed, he will be the one called on.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1815497/jermaine-jones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reggie Tilleman should also stay at TE. The RSFr is 6'4" and 195 and while in high school, he excelled at receiver earning all-leauge his Sr and Jr year. He was also all-leauge in b-ball as a Jr and a Sr which is something Stitt looks for. If he did decide to switch, he earned all-leauge as a Sr at DE also.

Kole Swartz may have already made his switch. Recruited as a TE, I beleive the RSFr switched to DE in fall camp. The 6'5" 225lber earned state recognition as a Jr(hon ment) and a Sr(2nd team).

The QB's?
Brady Gustufson and Will Weyer are both rumored to transfer or position change. It's pretty obvious that neither one fits Stitts style for QB. Hopefully they choose whats best for them.

Alabama, your take is far from mine but after I check your info I will give it a comment.

To me, the guy who gets screwed the most in this deal is Wilson. As a Senior, it's pretty difficult to ask him to move to the other side and be effective with zero experience there over the past 4 years, and there's not really a place for him on the offensive side. Everybody else really has time to adjust/move on (hopefully adjust though).

AZGrizFan said:
To me, the guy who gets screwed the most in this deal is Wilson. As a Senior, it's pretty difficult to ask him to move to the other side and be effective with zero experience there over the past 4 years, and there's not really a place for him on the offensive side. Everybody else really has time to adjust/move on (hopefully adjust though).

Agreed. That kid/young man has brought his lunch pail to work every outing. Never showing up in the stat sheet and continues to show up to work.
I hope Justin and the staff recognize this and make it work for him. Id love to see him as a short distance and down back that catches or carries the rock!

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agreed. That kid/young man has brought his lunch pail to work every outing. Never showing up in the stat sheet and continues to show up to work.
I hope Justin and the staff recognize this and make it work for him. Id love to see him as a short distance and down back that catches or carries the rock!

Yes, I agree.
If Stitt is the coach we think he is then he will see the talent of "big" Jamal and find a place for him.

I feel like he needs to be used inside the 5...make him our pound it man...but that of course would force us to slow down the game to get him on the field...IDK really what the plan is when we get down close....my biggest fear with this offense is how we score when we're on the goaline.

You can't bench athletes without limiting your ability to win, especially in FCS. Coach has to use what he's got as much as possible.
That said, there wasn't a lot of hand wringing when Joe Glenn started putting tight ends on the field in 2000, even though it cut down on the number of receivers involved in plays.
There were also players disadvantaged by Delaney's decision to abandon the Pflufense for the pro style offense.
Change isn't without consequence. Hopefully this one works out and the Griz stick with it.

griz4life said:
You can't bench athletes without limiting your ability to win, especially in FCS. Coach has to use what he's got as much as possible.
That said, there wasn't a lot of hand wringing when Joe Glenn started putting tight ends on the field in 2000, even though it cut down on the number of receivers involved in plays.
There were also players disadvantaged by Delaney's decision to abandon the Pflufense for the pro style offense.
Change isn't without consequence. Hopefully this one works out and the Griz stick with it.

Understood 100%....doesn't change the fact that Jamal is the one getting the short end of the stick in this "consequence".

fanofzoo said:
Dmontanagrizzlies said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes, I agree.
If Stitt is the coach we think he is then he will see the talent of "big" Jamal and find a place for him.

Jamal, like everyone else mentioned here is a football player and unless they determine Montana is no longer a fit, all of them will be looking for ways to contribute to the teams success - whatever that turns out to be.

If you have 4 receivers spread wide would you want a heavy running back? Simply because of his extra weight wouldn't he be a better pass blocker. The heavy RB would be better as a lead blocker for a QB run, a key threat in the spread.

I'd give him the ball too; The beauty of a spread formation is that if forces the defense to switch to a lighter, faster set of defenders. They can't stack the box with 7-8 heavy bodies to stop a power runner. If the defense want to stop the pass and plays man coverage with 2 safeties over the top (6 players dedicated to stopping the pass) that leaves just 5 players in the box! I'd something up the gut every time they lined up in that coverage. A 250lb FB with a bit of momentum running into the crashing safeties. Now who is going to win that battle.

Put the scat backs out in the slot, run the reverse, fly sweep etc. Keep the big back in the backfield.

Smatter? Royces boy not living up to expectations? We're stuck with him, come hell or high water. Gotta give him a chance, though. Its up to Stitt to prove he's right. Or wrong. :D

statler & waldorf said:
Smatter? Royces boy not living up to expectations? We're stuck with him, come hell or high water. Gotta give him a chance, though. Its up to Stitt to prove he's right. Or wrong. :D

I've noticed a few negative posts by you regarding Stitt's hiring. Why are you negative on this hire? Not trying to start anything, just am curious. Are you buying into Big G's crap?

mtgrizrule said:
statler & waldorf said:

I've noticed a few negative posts by you regarding Stitt's hiring. Why are you negative on this hire? Not trying to start anything, just am curious. Are you buying into Big G's crap?

I don't recall him ever having anything positive to say about anything. If the worst thing that happens is that Jamal has less playing time, but ends up with a degree from the University of Montana that was paid for by someone else, then I think he probably got the better end of the deal.

Personally I really think Horner is going to have a break out season. Fits the mold. As far as Wilson is concerned he is to good not to have on the field and I think Stitt will have some plays to showcase it. Gonna be fun!

Back