• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A quick reminder on social media & recruiting

BWahlberg

DONOR
Had someone send me a PM asking this - figured it's good info to get out on the main board.

Athletics boosters need to be careful on facebook and twitter with their interactions with recruits. I use myself as an example, I once sent a tweet to a recruit before LOI day saying, "congrats, welcome to Griz Nation!" and some keen observer notified athletics that I was a booster and made contact with a recruit via social media. I got an email about it from compliance and made a mental note not to do that again.

You CAN send "congratulatory" messages on twitter and facebook to a recruit AFTER they've signed their national letter of intent. However all other rules with booster contact still remain. So feel free to tell our future Griz congrats - just make sure to do it after national LOI day and once they're announced as signed with Montana.

And if you're wondering if you're a booster - as a Griz fan in most cases you probably are, if you've given money to support athletics or spent money on athletics (buying a game ticket even)... you're probably a booster.

In the case of Willie Pflug, being he is already signed and attending school, I believe interaction and congrats to him are perfectly fine now. Of the current class, I believe he is the only HS recruit a fan/booster can communicate with through social media.

Also another sticky point are rival fans representing themselves as a fan of the rivalry and communicating with the recruits in an effort to get the other school in trouble.

I feel as long as someone is not trying to sell or steer a recruit one way or the other, welcomes and congratulatory communications should not be a violation. I feel it is kind of stupid to restrict that.

If a player has enrolled in classes or started practice, then they are no longer a PSA. Until then they are still considered "prospective" even if they have signed a letter of intent (transfers included).

This doesn't just apply to boosters, but student athletes as well:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/p_priggs/status/560456991043100672[/tweet]

MrTitleist said:

WTH, why aren't the athletes supposed to post updates, decisions, etc? That is ridiculous. This must not be to known, because most recruits, regardless of school/program post updates.

mtgrizrule said:
MrTitleist said:

WTH, why aren't the athletes supposed to post updates, decisions, etc? That is ridiculous. This must not be to known, because most recruits, regardless of school/program post updates.

I would guess it means that if you know of a prospective student, or perhaps hosted when for a visit then you should not comment about it. Didn't we see on here that someone posted the guy they hosted was not committing? I'm betting thats what they mean.

ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:
MrTitleist said:

I would guess it means that if you know of a prospective student, or perhaps hosted when for a visit then you should not comment about it. Didn't we see on here that someone posted the guy they hosted was not committing? I'm betting thats what they mean.

It says student athletes, if they mean current players already attending school and on scholarship, then that makes sense. I interpreted that as meaning current HS student athletes/current recruits. I think that references current team members, not the recruits.

As the father of a verbally-committed PSA, can I recruit other PSAs on twitter to commit to the school to which my son has already committed? Just a hypothetical.

Back