• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Super Coyle

yellowstone60

good article on BC.....
http://www.nbcmontana.com/sports/brock-coyle-soaking-in-super-bowl-festivities/30977282?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QUESTION: "What's it like for you this season, your first season, to get to the Super Bowl?"

ANSWER: "I really can't put it into words. I mean when you grow up playing football, you dream of playing in the NFL and ultimately playing in the Super Bowl so for me to do it all in one year, it's amazing. It's a blessing for sure, I'm very fortunate to be here."
What a terrific experience for a fine young man and outstanding Griz.

IdahoGrizFan said:
there was on o-lineman who played for SF with for several years. Name escapes me. Starts with an S? LOL

Kirk Scrafford I believe?? I can't remember the years he played though.

That's awesome for Brock. I mean awesome as in "awesome"...just can't stop saying that. :lol:

Eat your heart out Bozeman citizens. One of your own ended up in the Super Bowl and he didn't need the Cats to get there.

Scrafford did not get a ring. The other ex-Griz with a ring, 2 I think, is Bob Beers. But he got his as a scout for the Broncos.

66volvo said:
That's awesome for Brock. I mean awesome as in "awesome"...just can't stop saying that. :lol:

Eat your heart out Bozeman citizens. One of your own ended up in the Super Bowl and he didn't need the Cats to get there.
Its more like he probably would not have made it to the NFL if he played in Bozo. Ash has a way of endings kids careers in college despite some great talent.

66volvo said:

To be fair, a Cat trains him in the off season.

grizchamp said:
66volvo said:

To be fair, a Cat trains him in the off season.

Who?

Former cat I guess would be more accurate. Chase Isle. It was on KPAX (or maybe KECI) news. The video clip is probably still out there somewhere.

grizchamp said:
Former cat I guess would be more accurate. Chase Isle. It was on KPAX (or maybe KECI) news. The video clip is probably still out there somewhere.
Jan 6, 2014 10:51 AM by Bobby Oler - MTN Sports

Cat-Griz football players set rivalry aside

BOZEMAN - A pair of college football players who were sworn enemies out on the field in this year's Cat-Griz game set their differences aside to stride for greatness together over winter break.

Brock Coyle is a Bozeman native who just finished up his senior season with the Griz, but over the weekend he was working out with Tanner Roderick - another Bozeman High School star - who now plays for the Cats.

"We try to work out together every winter break. He's someone who can push you really well, and it's awesome just to watch him progressing - having the success he did, and then go onto the next level," Roderick said.

This isn't about Cats vs. Griz - these two are high school buddies.

"We never really had that. We might've when we were playing each other. We're friends, and it's fun working out together," Coyle explained.

Leading the workouts is Chase Isle, who is walking a fine line.

"The goal is not to beat them up because they need to reserve energy for whatever we're going into next. I don't want to tax them physically. I want every single rep to be powerful and beneficial for what they're doing," Isle explained.

"Right now I'm trying to prepare for winter workouts and get faster and bigger. We have a strength program that Coach Wilcox - our strength trainer put us on so that helps a lot. Pretty much just get faster and get that fast twitch," Roderick said.

"Right now I'm training for the NFL combine. You're in football shape, now I'm getting into training shape, and getting ready for those types of tests they have. Really trying to get faster and more explosive - and Chase is doing a great job," Coyle told us.

They do play very different positions, so it's on their trainer to adjust for that.

"With Brock as a linebacker you work a little more lateral movement. His big thing is speed, Tanner. We're working a lot of speed, footwork, plyometrics, and strength - just all-around athleticism, getting them ready for their sport that they're getting trained for," Isle pointed out.

"You have to be big and bulky at times to protect yourself, but you also have to be fast and explosive, and that's what this does. This training helps you," Coyle concluded.
http://www.kpax.com/news/cat-griz-football-players-set-rivalry-aside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ex-Griz Brock Coyle savoring Super season with Seahawks

10 hours ago • By Bill Speltz
The way Brock Coyle sees it, he’s not just representing the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday night in the Super Bowl.

He’s got a reputation to uphold as a former Montana Grizzly.

“I just want the fans to know how much pride I take in representing the University of Montana and Montana in the National Football League,” the rookie linebacker told the Missoulian. “Their support means so much to me, truly it does.

“It helps me play harder when I know I have a great fan base behind me, amazing fans. Even in the NFL now I have a good fan base in the 12th Man. And I’ve got Griz Nation. I’ve got the best fan base in college football and the NFL supporting me, so I feel very blessed.”

For two seasons Coyle led Montana in tackles with his rare quickness and ball hawking at middle linebacker. But when draft day came last spring, his name was not called and many wondered how much of a shot the undrafted free agent would get when he was invited to join the most intimidating defense in the NFL.

With diligence and a little good fortune, he managed to earn the starting job for Seattle’s preseason opener against the Denver Broncos. That led to even bigger things.

“It’s been amazing, it really has,” he offered. “My first preseason game, my first NFL game ever against (Broncos QB) Peyton Manning starting for the Seattle Seahawks at middle linebacker while Bobby Wagner was hurt …

“Then to end up starting two games as a rookie against the Raiders and the Giants and then being a contributor on special teams … It’s just been an amazing journey that I feel throughout my football career God has prepared me for these moments, for a season like this when these opportunities arise. I was prepared to take advantage of them and it’s led me to this point.”

Coyle’s rookie season hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows. He had a gluteus injury that sidelined him from practice in November. He played through it in a starting role against the Giants, earning the respect of his teammates and coaches.

"He's strong, and he's a guy that you know that he's going to do everything, look at all the details, he's going to dot all your i's and cross all your t's,” linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. told ESPN 710 Seattle. “He's really, really sharp in that fashion.”

While Coyle is not above making a rookie mistake every now and then, even the best of his peers have gained an appreciation for his skill set.

“He’s a guy who has a knack for the ball,” Seahawks second team All-Pro safety Kam Chancellor told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. “He shows want-to. He shows that he wants to learn and he’s learning every day.”

If Coyle’s No. 52 is called against the New England Patriots, it will most likely come on special teams. Of his 11 tackles this season, six have come in kick coverage situations, including an assist in the Seahawks’ memorable playoff win over the team he pulled for as a college student, the Green Bay Packers.

Seattle trailed Green Bay 19-7 in the fourth quarter before rallying to win in overtime, 28-22.

“It’s a mind set of this team, a mind set of our head coach, a mind set of our leaders on this team just to finish -- always finish and compete,” Coyle said. “That’s truly what we did and that’s a lesson about never giving up that I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

“We were down 12 points with five turnovers, just the resiliency of the team and everything. It was just as much that we never gave up. We’re never out of the fight and we all just plugged away and we came out victorious and we’re playing in the Super Bowl.”

Coyle honed his mental and physical toughness on the ski slopes as a kid. Growing up in the shadow of Big Sky Mountain in Bozeman, he was heavy into downhill racing.

One NorAm event he remembers vividly was held near Whitefish on Big Mountain’s legendary Big Ursa run.

“It’s the fastest race you can do,” he said of his downhill discipline. “When you see it in the Olympics they can get up to I’m sure like 70 mph.

“I remember (Big Ursa) because I was probably the most nervous with the danger factor. You can get severely hurt. I had to mentally get prepared to race this dangerous course, get intense and focused. I would replay the course in my mind so that when I raced I had already gone over it multiple times. I do that with football, too, when I visualize a play and what’s coming.”

Coyle’s evolution as a linebacker took time. As a young Grizzly he was forced to redshirt after shoulder surgery in 2010. The humbling experience made him even more determined to play at a high level and he credits former teammates Zack Wagenmann and Jordan Tripp with pushing him to dig deep in the weight room.

These days Brock has a long list of teammates that push him on a daily basis. The Seahawks are notorious for stretching NFL mandates in their full-contact practices, so coasting is hardly an option.

“It’s very intense,” Brock said. “We practice at full speed and it’s highly competitive.

“We compete all the time. I mean every single drill we do is a competition. We’ve got the music playing. It’s a high-energy environment. That rolls over to the games.”

Coyle’s approach to tackling hasn’t changed much since his days in maroon and silver.

“You have to take your shot and wrap up and be physical,” he said. “That’s the biggest thing. You have to make sure you hit him and he doesn’t hit you. You have to bring that physical nature and violence to defense.”

Reaching the Super Bowl took days to sink in for Coyle. One reason is that he and his teammates were walking on air for a while after their epic comeback against the Packers.

“Just that game, to be a part of one of the greatest, if not the greatest comeback in NFL playoff history,” Coyle said, “and to win the NFC championship, to go to the Super Bowl and just to play for such a great organization in the Seahawks, I just feel very blessed to be a part of this team.”

Brock says it starts at the top with head coach Pete Carroll.

“You hear the quote 'attitude reflects leadership' and I think you absolutely see that in our team” Coyle said. “The way we approach the game of football and our jobs, it reflects the leadership of Coach Carroll.

“He comes in every single day with high energy and enthusiasm. He makes you want to play football for him. He makes you love the game every day. It’s a grind of a season but every single day he makes it fun. He makes it a game you want to play and play hard for him.”

The Seahawks may need to be at their best to beat the Patriots on Sunday. The Seattle defense in particular has a tall task, pitted against arguably the best clutch quarterback in NFL history in Tom Brady.

“Obviously they’re a great team with arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time in (Bill) Belichick and one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in Tom Brady,” Coyle said. “It’s just a storied franchise and I’m looking forward to playing a great football team.”
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/ex-griz-brock-coyle-savoring-super-season-with-seahawks/article_47ac0eb4-f055-5242-9451-fc1a0ec0a3af.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back