• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wagenman draft predictions.

rocklobster

I know ZW still has his pro day, but does anyone have a prediction where they think in the draft. Is the 4th or 5th round possible?

Unfortunately I feel Wags poor bench press performance may well hinder his draft stock and relegate him to UDFA status, unless he does much better at Griz Pro Day.

I predicted in several threads long ago, I believe 4th round to late 5th round. More likely the late 5th now. He will be drafted!

Might be later than 5th, but teams will want his kind of attitude and personality on their team.

AZGrizFan said:
Late 7th...possible fall to UDFA.
Yup. A case where he was hurt by his combine. If a team takes him, they may want him to be a LB. He showed his athletic ability but also a lack of nessesary strength to at DE at the NFL level. O'course Kroy put on about 20 lbs by the end of his rookie year so Wags might be able to do the same.

I guess it depends on where NFL people see him playing. IF they think he can be a DE then I don't think the bench will hurt him, he can get stronger. They would be looking at his 40 time and, more specifically, the 10 yard time as that is what is most important for an end. If they see him more as a LB then he may fall due to the lack of strength.

Three other d-lineman under 20 reps. 16, 19 and 19. Weight 275, 271 and 261. Played at Memphis, Florida and Michigan.

2 linebackers at 16, 1 at 17, 1 at 18, 6 at 19.

We know the Rams have him in their gun sights and da bears could sure use him. 5th round at best 6th & 7th likely. Such a great player I see him playing right away.

Late 7th or an early UFDA signing much like Coyle's projection and path is my guess. Scouts are more critical of small school players and while it's probably not fair that bench press number probably knocks him off a few boards.

BWahlberg said:
Late 7th or an early UFDA signing much like Coyle's projection and path is my guess. Scouts are more critical of small school players and while it's probably not fair that bench press number probably knocks him off a few boards.

As a Kevin Greene fan, do you see ZW as a 3/4 OLB?

The good news on strength is it can usually be fairly easy to improve--hit the weights more through a strong strength program.

If Zach could do 15-17 reps at 225 come UM's pro day, that should hopefully demonstrate to scouts he knows his weakness and is overcoming it, slowly but surely, through an excellent work ethic, in this case, in the weight room.

I feel Zach should be able to get his bench number to 17 reps. If he does not improve the number, then he is likely a 7th rounder or UFA. If he improves to 16 or more reps, then late 5th to late 6th is possible. I do feel the recent history of GRIZ players sticking on NFL rosters will allow him to be drafted, instead of UFA.

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:

As a Kevin Greene fan, do you see ZW as a 3/4 OLB?

That's how I see it, unless he wants to go the Biermann route and put on 30 more pounds.

After reading all you dorks rip his 14 bench reps, no way he even gets an UDFA opportunity.. Stupid. Dude can play and will represent UM very well in the league. Tape don't lie.

If one stat is all it would take to keep a player out of the draft, then I think the whole process is f*cked beyond belief.

'68griz said:
If one stat is all it would take to keep a player out of the draft, then I think the whole process is f*cked beyond belief.

Considering, quite a few analysts, scouts, and general prefer to use what they see on video. In my opinion, field production is more valuable than the combine. The combine is there to create extra interest for the league in the off season, get more eyes on their product, and to get to know NFL hopefuls. I feel it could be used as a better measuring tool if they added drills with pads on. For example run a set of 40's with the pad on too. Some guys have world class track speed without pads, yet with the pads slow down considerably. As for the bench press, how often will a player be asked to use that skill set on the field? It is possible for a player to be effective at avoiding and shedding blockers even with a weak bench total. Hell, how often does a defender get blocked more than 1 time on a given play? What is more important in tackling? Breaking down and squaring up, or how strong someone is? Some high motor guys fall short in repetition because they exude so much energy so quickly, instead of reserving the energy for more reps.

Seriously, I think the 40 yard dash and bench press are the most over hyped drills at the combine. Some decision makers put a lot of stock into these drills, some don't. I feel Zach's on the field performance, other drills, and recent GRIZ history will weigh heavier in his drafting than 1 lousy bench performance. We shall see. I will be surprised if he is not drafted. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back