• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

5 biggest position battles going into spring ball

BWahlberg

DONOR
We're about 3 weeks out on spring camp getting started and there's some wide-open position battles brewing. Here's what I'll be watching for as spring camp unfolds.

1. Quarterback. No surprise that this would top the list. We've got a new offense and a new system. In his press conference Coach Stitt said he's looking for a QB that will make smart reads and be able to attack defenses quickly. His system has shown some need for a mobile QB but that's not the key factor. Brady Gustafson, Makena Simis, and Will Weyer all return from last years team. Willy Pflug is a true freshman and on campus. Chad Chalich and Eric Prater come to Montana as transfers. Of the roster only Chalich brings game-time experience to the table, having started in 7 games in 2013 for Idaho. Beyond that Gustafson was 0-2 passing in junk time blowouts last year. Looking at experience one might wonder if Chalich has a bit of an inside track. There's also Gus and Simis who have been with this team for a few years now and probably are much more synced up with our WR corps. We can speculate all we want and go off all of these guys high school highlight reels but we'll just have to see what happens once the practices get started.

2. Safety. Matt Hermanson, starter since 2012, has graduated leaving a very important spot on the defense wide open. Veteran player Justin Whitted will presumably hold his role but who will step up to fill Hermey's shoes? Jake Dallaserra brings some experience as he backed up and started I believe one game for Whitted. Beyond them there's a lot of youth, Epperly, Delaney, and Eric Johnson who is a senior (transferred in last year). Josh Sandry and Jerrin Williams are safety recruits coming in, but I don't think they'll be here until the fall. Also there's the message board talk that Manu Rassmussen is here and participating as well.

3. Interior Offensive Line. The Hines brothers have graduated and presumably John Schmaing, a tackle, returns. That gives the Griz some options here. Ben Weyer is one of our most experienced linemen, he's played two years at guard but I'm hearing word he might be rolling over to center as his experience, smarts on the field, and leadership is readily recognized. Regardless of where Weyer goes he's presumably going to start. That leaves two jobs open for McCauley Todd, Devon Dietrich, Robert Luke, Max Kelly, and Roscoe Alley. I'm listing Dietrich because while he played tackle last year with the return of Schmaing I could see him coming back to his natural position at guard. Luke is a bulldozer with his size, I'll be interested to see if his conditioning has helped him to be ready for an offense of this pace. Obviously if he wins the job that would put Weyer at guard and leave one more spot open. Todd finished the Wyoming game and started in the CWU game. I think he pretty much did ST and mop-up duty the rest of the season. Dietrich started and played in every game, at tackle. Kelly and Alley don't bring that in-game experience but Kelly's got great size to him. Alley's a freshman, we'll have to see how he shapes up.

4. Running Back. Unlike other positions we've got experienced players returning - we're replacing a durable workhorse RB in Jordan Canada and a playmaker in TraVon Van. John Nguyen and Joey Counts seem to be the two lead options. Good pass catchers, quick runners, not the highest speed but not slow by any means. Nguyen was the #3 back last year, Counts was the #3 back in 2013 before an ankle injury sidelined him and forced him to RS in 2014. Beyond those two there's Lorenzo Logwood and Tre Favors - both showed some skill and improvement playing late in blowout games. I'm a little more unsure on Logwood and Favors as pass catchers. If you look at CSM's stat books their feature back would usually have over 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving. Jeremy Calhoun could be another option, he'll be here in the fall. Carl Johnson and Nate Hanser are on the roster too as RS Frosh. I think Johnson is a FB convert.

5. Cornerback. Nate Harris has his job locked in. Beyond him there's JR Nelson who brings two years worth of experience playing as a 4th or 3rd CB on the field. Nelson's had ups and downs and would presumably be the guy for the 2nd starting spot. However he's going to have some competition hot on his heels. ST standout and transfer Tyrel Garner comes to mind as does the RS Soph Ryan McKinley. Beyond them there's sophomores Chris Parker and Shane Moody - both I don't think did much outside some special teams work last year. There's also transfer Markell Sanders who I believe is here and will be playing in spring ball.

----------

I was debating about going with D-line as well since 3/4's of the D-line graduates... however my gut feeling is that the D-line has it's progression in pretty good order with Crittenden, Peevey, and Kidder rising to the starting spots and Owen, Harris, and Bradley backing up.

Should be a fun one to watch unfold this spring!

Thanks Brint! I have been impatiently waiting for some football news from you. Hopefully, our new coach will allow you to visit Spring training so you can give us up to date status reports. This way I can kind of know what to look for when I attend the Spring scrimmage this year in Helena. I think our O-Line will be much improved and with their size, I believe they will be more mobile and fit right in. Tre Favors is a beast and will have an unbelievable year! The only thing I don't know about with him is his pass catching ability? I am really excited about this year, 1st time in four years!
Thanks again Brint!

I'd posted a guess on 2-deep but based on these battles my opinion before spring ball would go:

QB: Simis / Chalich

RB: Nguyen / Counts

S: Johnson / Epperly

CB: (opposite of Harris) Nelson / McKinley

Interior OL:

G: Todd / Kelly
C: Weyer / Luke
D: Dietrich / Kelly or Alley

position number 6: internet cheerleader/legal defender/closetotheprogram position.

my take is that greenie leads the pack, thanks to his clipping of re/berg in the heels by having a dartmouth buddy buy his company. the crowd has come to expect tweets, and when they don't come due to re/berg's required h.r. training...

bill will get it, if he checks in.

BWahlberg said:
2. Safety. Matt Hermanson, starter since 2012, has graduated leaving a very important spot on the defense wide open. Veteran player Justin Whitted will presumably hold his role but who will step up to fill Hermey's shoes? Jake Dallaserra brings some experience as he backed up and started I believe one game for Whitted. Beyond them there's a lot of youth, Epperly, Delaney, and Eric Johnson who is a senior (transferred in last year). Josh Sandry and Jerrin Williams are safety recruits coming in, but I don't think they'll be here until the fall.

Is Manu Rassmusen no longer with the team? Delaney mentioned him last year and I thought there was some conversation about him here recently.

bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
2. Safety. Matt Hermanson, starter since 2012, has graduated leaving a very important spot on the defense wide open. Veteran player Justin Whitted will presumably hold his role but who will step up to fill Hermey's shoes? Jake Dallaserra brings some experience as he backed up and started I believe one game for Whitted. Beyond them there's a lot of youth, Epperly, Delaney, and Eric Johnson who is a senior (transferred in last year). Josh Sandry and Jerrin Williams are safety recruits coming in, but I don't think they'll be here until the fall.

Does Manu Rassmusen no longer with the team? Delaney mentioned him last year and I thought there was some conversation about him here recently.

I think that's been discussed on here that he is... I'll add his name to it.

Brint, thanks for the thoughtful football-related post and analysis. What a refreshing change of pace on this board.

argh! - stay weird and incomprehensible. The world is more interesting with folks like you in it. Just be sure not to bogart that j.

BW, Markell Sanders is expected to be a major contributor this season. In Kalispell, Stitt said he expects Sanders to play a lot this season. He also said, he will definitely be playing CB. Sanders was really the only new player he gave any indication of playing time this season. By the way Stitt spoke of Sanders, I would be putting him starting at the other CB spot.

HB is a crap shoot. Personally, I hope Nguyen is not our main HB. I am pulling for a healthy Counts to be the main man. It would be awesome of Calhoun can be a major contributor this year. He looks like he has some great potential.

:thumb:
mtgrizrule said:
BW, Markell Sanders is expected to be a major contributor this season. In Kalispell, Stitt said he expects Sanders to play a lot this season. He also said, he will definitely be playing CB. Sanders was really the only new player he gave any indication of playing time this season. By the way Stitt spoke of Sanders, I would be putting him starting at the other CB spot.

HB is a crap shoot. Personally, I hope Nguyen is not our main HB. I am pulling for a healthy Counts to be the main man. It would be awesome of Calhoun can be a major contributor this year. He looks like he has some great potential.

You and I played in the days when there were halfbacks, the dark days before the nation.

argh! said:
position number 6: internet cheerleader/legal defender/closetotheprogram position.

my take is that greenie leads the pack, thanks to his clipping of re/berg in the heels by having a dartmouth buddy buy his company. the crowd has come to expect tweets, and when they don't come due to re/berg's required h.r. training...

what?????????????

I expect we'll see a rotation on the OL. Keeping those guys fresh through out the game will be important, especially in tight games.

krammer said:
argh! said:

what?????????????

Seconded. WTF is this about?

CDAGRIZ said:
krammer said:
argh! said:

what?????????????

Seconded. WTF is this about?
Mostly straightforward, except who is bill? Greenie, sunny, Citay, dim sum, spacemon - all logical, straightforward handles. Bill? I'm perplexed. Is there a congressman on board?

BWahlberg said:
3. Interior Offensive Line. The Hines brothers have graduated and presumably John Schmaing, a tackle, returns. That gives the Griz some options here. Ben Weyer is one of our most experienced linemen, he's played two years at guard but I'm hearing word he might be rolling over to center as his experience, smarts on the field, and leadership is readily recognized. Regardless of where Weyer goes he's presumably going to start. That leaves two jobs open for McCauley Todd, Devon Dietrich, Robert Luke, Max Kelly, and Roscoe Alley. I'm listing Dietrich because while he played tackle last year with the return of Schmaing I could see him coming back to his natural position at guard. Luke is a bulldozer with his size, I'll be interested to see if his conditioning has helped him to be ready for an offense of this pace. Obviously if he wins the job that would put Weyer at guard and leave one more spot open. Todd finished the Wyoming game and started in the CWU game. I think he pretty much did ST and mop-up duty the rest of the season. Dietrich started and played in every game, at tackle. Kelly and Alley don't bring that in-game experience but Kelly's got great size to him. Alley's a freshman, we'll have to see how he shapes up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that leave THREE jobs open between those 5? One tackle position and two guards?

Assuming Schmaing is back he will start at LT. Reese and Weyer also have starting spots locked up at least going into spring. That leaves the two guard spots open assuming Weyer starts at C.

havgrizfan said:
Assuming Schmaing is back he will start at LT. Reese and Weyer also have starting spots locked up at least going into spring. That leaves the two guard spots open assuming Weyer starts at C.

OK, I see Brint specified INTERIOR O-line...and didn't mention Reese. So the two spots he's referring to are the two guard positions...

Sam A. Blitz said:
I expect we'll see a rotation on the OL. Keeping those guys fresh through out the game will be important, especially in tight games.

Stitt is on record saying that he doesn't expect to sub much at o-line.

I totally believe we will actually be better at Qb this year because of the scheme. I think our backs will be fine, but not even close to what we had with Van and Canada. Our OL will be greatly improved with Shmaing and the new/old OL coach. The DL will be just fine with the LB's being lights out, the DB's will be a surprise and do very well. I'm not worried one bit about any aspect of this team.

I must go with Logwood as the next surprise at running back. I see his shifty moves and if he can catch a pass he will be da man!

Latest posts

Back