• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Points/Plays Per Game

NLGrizFan

How many of you guys (and ladies) think that Coach Stitt will have his offense installed by the time the season opener rolls around? And also do ya think he has the right players to get it all going and run 80+ plays per game? I'm still questioning the O line. Seems like they didn't recruit a lot of O linemen. The Griz are gonna need to score more then 10 points (unless they copy what UNI did to them last year) to beat the BiSon this time.

NLGrizFan said:
How many of you guys (and ladies) think that Coach Stitt will have his offense installed by the time the season opener rolls around? And also do ya think he has the right players to get it all going and run 80+ plays per game? I'm still questioning the O line. Seems like they didn't recruit a lot of O linemen. The Griz are gonna need to score more then 10 points (unless they copy what UNI did to them last year) to beat the BiSon this time.

The coach will have his offense installed by the opener. Though I think the players will need time to completely adapt to the new scheme. It's probably around mid season before it's fully clicking. You're right in being concerned how the o-line will handle the pace of play. Hopefully spring and autumn practices will have ALL of them ready to contribute as it's likely they'll need to be rotated throughout the game. So each and every lineman better be ready to play a minimum of a series or two. They, and the QB, are the two positions which need to adjust the most in the new offense.

We will have our hands full when we play Western Minnesota State U. They're not facing the changes our kids are. While they'll have the advantage of bringing a well oiled machine into the game, our guys have the advantage of being smarter, tougher, and frankly better looking than the typical Fargo-ite football boy. Advantage still goes to the Beefalos, yet I have faith the Grizzlies will shock them and get 2015 off to a great start. :ugeek:

Watch the NDSU vs Coastal Carolina game. The Blue Roosters appear to play in a offense similar to what Stitt will have us running. They put up over 30 points on the Bison. Once the team figures out the scheme, we should be able to give anyone a good game. But we won't win the first game vs the Bison in 2015, maybe we'll the second game.

My guess is that the Bison will attempt to stay in their base Tampa-2 defense, and force us into the short passing game. They'll wait for us to make a mistake, which we will in a new scheme. I'm calling it now 14 to 23 Bison. With another frustrating 4 qtr of watching ball control power running game. If

Griz!ron said:
Watch the NDSU vs Coastal Carolina game. The Blue Roosters appear to play in a offense similar to what Stitt will have us running. They put up over 30 points on the Bison. Once the team figures out the scheme, we should be able to give anyone a good game. But we won't win the first game vs the Bison in 2015, maybe we'll the second game.

My guess is that the Bison will attempt to stay in their base Tampa-2 defense, and force us into the short passing game. They'll wait for us to make a mistake, which we will in a new scheme. I'm calling it now 14 to 23 Bison. With another frustrating 4 qtr of watching ball control power running game. If

I'm an optimist as well, and predict a major battle, with the Griz coming out victorious.

But that W will depend majorly on if the Griz spend all this off-season in the weightroom, getting A LOT stronger than they were last season in the Fargo Dome. if not, the Griz O and D will get pushed around again.

The Bison out-gained the Griz 280 to 68 yards rushing, and had 24 first downs, compared to UM's nine. NDSU had almost 20 more minutes of possession than Montana (39:06 to 20:54).

I'm an optimist as well. Our O line wasn't that great last year and the Griz didn't really pick up any O lineman this year or last year so it's kinda spooky. Even if the numbers are a bit unbalanced, I'll say GRIZ 23 - NDSU 20. And the party will begin in Missoula and just get better and better as the season rolls along. And we slaughter EWU 42-17.

Beating NDSU will be epic. If you can suspend disbelief until then, Stitt will have them ready to play. He knows how important 8/29 is to rebooting this program.

On the other hand, the first run of three is going to be incredibly challenging, but were they to emerge 2-1 @ the end of that trifecta, I'd be awfully impressed.

"Our O line wasn't that great last year and the Griz didn't really pick up any O lineman this year or last year so it's kinda spooky...."
Umm... actually the Griz did "pick up" an O-lineman in John Schmaing who will start at left tackle and likely be 1st team all conference by the end of the season...am I missing something?
If you assume our O-line will look the same as last year by this fall, you are underestimating the fact that most lineman don't really come into their prime until they are upperclassmen, and we finally have a bunch of those, including Reese and Luke who are studs. If you need tangible evidence, wait until fall and compare or 1st string's size versus last year's. My guess is that you'll be surprised. Also, the Griz picked up 3 O-linemen this year so far that we know of.

Alaska Griz said:
"Our O line wasn't that great last year and the Griz didn't really pick up any O lineman this year or last year so it's kinda spooky...."
Umm... actually the Griz did "pick up" an O-lineman in John Schmaing who will start at left tackle and likely be 1st team all conference by the end of the season...am I missing something?
If you assume our O-line will look the same as last year by this fall, you are underestimating the fact that most lineman don't really come into their prime until they are upperclassmen, and we finally have a bunch of those, including Reese and Luke who are studs. If you need tangible evidence, wait until fall and compare or 1st string's size versus last year's. My guess is that you'll be surprised. Also, the Griz picked up 3 O-linemen this year so far that we know of.
Yes, Schmaing is back and it's huge. I'll patiently wait to see where the O line ends up at the start of the season. Maybe I'm so used to there not being any DOLA over the past few years that it hasn't registered that the Griz may actually have an outstanding O line in 2015.

Back