• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Players You Expect to Step Up This Spring

bgbigdog

DONOR
Who will be the five step up standouts in spring practice? My five:

Zach Vis
Bo Harris
Tyrel Garner
Josh Buss
Mike Ralston - changes position

No insider info here, just my considerable gut on the topic.

Who you got?

Well, if we want to experience success this year we'd better have 5 from the following group step up:

Safety:
Jake Delasarra
Markell Sanders
Eric Johnson

QB:
Chad Chalich
Eric Prater
Makena Simis

DL:
Caleb Kidder
Josh Harris
Nate Bradley
Derek Crittenden

RB:
Treshawn Favors
Joey Counts
Lorenzo Logwood

O-Line:
Clint LaRowe
Ben Weyer
Max Kelly
Robert Luke

I've seen the idea of Wilson at DT thrown out there a lot...is 5'11 250 really big enough for that position? :?

Htowngriz said:
I've seen the idea of Wilson at DT thrown out there a lot...is 5'11 250 really big enough for that position? :?

About the size of Nate Bradley. Short isn't necessarily a handicap @ DT. Quicks,football smarts & strength are however, assets. You'll see Wilson on offense from time to time. Stitt has actually lined up a QB behind the center and run a back behind a fullback. May not be every series, but still think you'll see it when he feels he needs it.

bgbigdog said:
Htowngriz said:

About the size of Nate Bradley. Short isn't necessarily a handicap @ DT. Quicks,football smarts & strength are however, assets. You'll see Wilson on offense from time to time. Stitt has actually lined up a QB behind the center and run a back behind a fullback. May not be every series, but still think you'll see it when he feels he needs it.
That's my way of thinking. I think Wilson will be utilized a lot this coming season on both sides of the ball. If he has the right attitude and works hard I think he will see a lot of success.

brewskis said:
bgbigdog said:
Htowngriz said:

That's my way of thinking. I think Wilson will be utilized a lot this coming season on both sides of the ball. If he has the right attitude and works hard I think he will see a lot of success.

I don't think we ever have to question Wilson's attitude, he is pretty much the description of "unsung hero" and "team player". I would not be surprised to see him on the 50 yard line for the coin toss this season.

SaskGriz said:
brewskis said:
bgbigdog said:
Htowngriz said:

I don't think we ever have to question Wilson's attitude, he is pretty much the description of "unsung hero" and "team player". I would not be surprised to see him on the 50 yard line for the coin toss this season.
Just to clarify, I wasn't questioning his attitude, just saying that a guy in his position has the opportunity to really benefit if he could seize it. I like him helping us punch in TD's in goal line situations and using his blend of explosiveness+maneuverability to give the opposing offensive line hell on the defensive side of the ball. The guy could be an X-factor.

GoldStandardGriz said:
It would be pretty amazing if Josh Harris is one of the five to step up this spring.

Yes it would. How much additional eligibility does he have?

Reese Carlson - Lots of excitement about him this last fall, I was told the coaches almost didn't red shirt him. Tall and fast, good hands, I'm betting the last 6-7 months doing S&T has really helped him too. Without all of the new WR recruits here yet could be a great time for him to really make some strides.

McCauley Todd - The least experienced of our projected O-line starters when you look at starts and playing time. Played mean and imposing in high school and has been waiting for his time. With Schmaing, Weyer, Dietrich, and Reese the other projected week 1 starters it seems Todd will have the most to prove and show he belongs with these other experienced starters.

JR Nelson - JR's another guy that's been waiting on the depth chart for his chance and the time is now. The 3rd or 4th corner in the last two seasons he's going to be relied upon to help bring that experience and skill to the spot vacated by Josh Dennard. Nelson's had some shaky performances in the past but has shown continued improvement over each season and through practices. He's the tallest of our corners and we could really use a tall corner with good range and cover skills.

Eric Johnson - We usually see JuCo's need a year to adjust. We also see that sometimes the better contributors on ST make the most of a starting defensive position the next season. Johnson (as well as Tyrel Garner) could be another one of those guys. I assume he'll be battling for the Strong Safety position vacated by Hermanson and he'll be going against fellow senior Jake Dallaserra and some of the younger guys like Evan Epperly and Mick Delaney.

Caleb Kidder - This guy has been maligned with injuries for two seasons now. He's got tremendous talent, seeing him in practice when healthy you can tell just how disruptive of a force Caleb could be. With Takai and Rehm graduated it's time for Caleb to hopefully stay healthy and become that regular contributor we need him to be.

Not just in spring ball, but I'd expect one or more of the starting LBs to step up and be noticed on the national stage in 2015. Fans have been talking about how good this group is and how there wasn't a drop off" after the departures of Tripp and Coyle. It's time to see it. I'd be disappointed if HG, KV or JK were not all,at the very least, first team all BSC and one of of the three making an All-American push....

CV Griz Fan said:
Not just in spring ball, but I'd expect one or more of the starting LBs to step up and be noticed on the national stage in 2015. Fans have been talking about how good this group is and how there wasn't a drop off" after the departures of Tripp and Coyle. It's time to see it. I'd be disappointed if HG, KV or JK were not all,at the very least, first team all BSC and one of of the three making an All-American push....

The backers played well last year, especially as they got experience, but I'm not so sure about the no-drop off thing. I don't recall the posters who said that, but I know there were some.

CV Griz Fan said:

Don't know that there was a material drop off in production from the LB's last fall, even with the kinds of players they followed. It was Wags year, and rightly so. I think they'll be more recognized this year just because they'll be the focus of the defense. Hopefully they will stay healthy & help get their understudies ready to step in when needed.

Coach Stitt said that Markell Sanders will be a major contributor at Cornerback. He made that very clear at the recruiting event in Kalispell. Unless there are injuries at Safety we can stop putting Sanders in the mix safety. Great thread by the way.

Back