• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New BSC football member in 2016?

txrider

Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports columnist, is saying this season is Idaho's last in FBS. Since Dodd is no shock jock sports writer and has written often about Idaho, he may be on to something. Check out his most recent piece and scroll down to the last part.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25089469/spring-thoughts-chasing-ohio-state-cfp-year-2-parity-is-real" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some time within the next decade, college football alignment will be so much different than it is now. I feel it will be a good change from mid level FCS through mid level BCS programs.
The more interesting topic will be which conferences survive, and which programs will be part of every conference?

A lot of the realignment will happen after the Big 5 conferences get their television contracts in hand. The networks that will not be part of their TV package will be attractive to take on the mid level conferences/programs. What it is called then, I have no idea. I feel Montana will have a much better conference alignment than what we currently have.

FCS teams with a lack of support and/or facilities better be busting ass hard to improve those things, or there will be schools being in a worse position.

mtgrizrule said:
Some time within the next decade, college football alignment will be so much different than it is now. I feel it will be a good change from mid level FCS through mid level BCS programs.
The more interesting topic will be which conferences survive, and which programs will be part of every conference?

A lot of the realignment will happen after the Big 5 conferences get their television contracts in hand. The networks that will not be part of their TV package will be attractive to take on the mid level conferences/programs. What it is called then, I have no idea. I feel Montana will have a much better conference alignment than what we currently have.

FCS teams with a lack of support and/or facilities better be busting ass hard to improve those things, or there will be schools being in a worse position.

Bingo!

There is a lot of outside pressure for Idaho to return to the FCS, including from the Big Sky power's that be. UI has been getting lobbied for quite some time about this. But Idaho's President and AD remain steadfast that the Vandals absolutely will not drop back into the Big Sky Conference in football. Articles as recent as last fall quote Spear and others as saying there's a zero percent chance of that happening. And quite frankly, I could care less if Idaho returns to the Big Sky. In some respects, I feel like they've made their messy bed in football and deserve to sleep in it. And have since looked down their noses at the Big Sky, even when Montana was still beating them regularly. Not to mention, the Big Sky has too many damn teams as it is, and Fullerton is not going to kick any current members to the curb in order to woo Idaho. That wouldn't be part of the deal.

mtgrizrule said:

....Ten years later *crickets*

Thought I read somewhere that the Bobcats are scheduled to play them sometime in the near future. Is that accurate?

It's not out of the question for Idaho to just drop football. They have gruesome facilities while alumni, students and townspeople show little interest. I hope they do rather than come to the Big Sky and stink it up.

mtgrizrule said:

I totally agree with everything you said. Great post.

biga75 said:
Thought I read somewhere that the Bobcats are scheduled to play them sometime in the near future. Is that accurate?

Possibly in 16? Who knows. They aren't even certain who they are playing this fall.

With their recent Bowl Ban being lifted I doubt now would be the time to transition (in their viewpoint)

signedbewildered said:
biga75 said:

Possibly in 16? Who knows. They aren't even certain who they are playing this fall.
:D :clap: still waiting to see how committed Idaho is before they sign?

mtgrizrule said:

I think it depends on basketball. Some history is helpful. Idaho has been true DI for most of their history. They didn't get kicked out of the PCC until 1960, and refused to accept being college division. Even after they were forced to join the BSC they remained University Division, while the rest of us were DII. The only reason the BSC and most of what is now FCS is division I is because of basketball. If they continue to allow any school to play DI in football regardless of scholarship levels, and everyone is still eligible March madness, the football revolution we are waiting for will never happen.

Grizbeer said:
mtgrizrule said:

I think it depends on basketball. Some history is helpful. Idaho has been true DI for most of their history. They didn't get kicked out of the PCC until 1960, and refused to accept being college division. Even after they were forced to join the BSC they remained University Division, while the rest of us were DII. The only reason the BSC and most of what is now FCS is division I is because of basketball. If they continue to allow any school to play DI in football regardless of scholarship levels, and everyone is still eligible March madness, the football revolution we are waiting for will never happen.
Agree; what mtgrizrule is talking about now has already been talked about for ten years now.

mtgrizrule said:

What happens if the P5 tells the drill rods in the NC2A to pound sand and goes off to form their own Cabal? That may be as likely as the scenario you're talking about, including the basketball world. My worry is where is the money coming from for what's left? Will ESPN, CBS, et.al, pony up the dollars for the undercard?

bgbigdog said:
mtgrizrule said:

What happens if the P5 tells the drill rods in the NC2A to pound sand and goes off to form their own Cabal? That may be as likely as the scenario you're talking about, including the basketball world. My worry is where is the money coming from for what's left? Will ESPN, CBS, et.al, pony up the dollars for the undercard?

That could happen as well. Either way, I am not to worried about Montana. I feel Montana is one of the schools that will benefit with a better conference alignment than current.

It will be interesting to see how basketball plays into the equation. I doubt the power 5 will want to sacrifice the money made from the tournament. The opening round of 64 (I don't count the play in games as round 1) is one of the greatest events in all of sports. For this the power 5 really do need the other conferences. People are not tuning in those 2 days to watch power conference against power conference. People tune in to watch the David verses Goliath match ups. Without David, Goliath has nothing of interest to offer the public.

Is it possible that schools realign for basketball only? Maybe have the likes of Montana and Weber State be added to the MWC for basketball only? Maybe have the best of the WCC, Big West, WAC, and the Big Sky all join forces for a deeper and better conference out west? Something similar to how the Big East and AAC did a few years ago. In my opinion, that move was pure genius and made sense.

As for Montana, I feel it would make sense to build stronger relationships in the midwest, such as the Dakota schools and Northern Iowa. Those schools/programs will likely be in the same boat as this all plays out.

Hate to even think or say it. Worse case is the arms race in college football gets too expensive to be part of any longer, and more smaller schools focus on building better basketball programs. I doubt it will play out like that for Montana, but for some small schools, it very well could for some football programs to fold. It could force North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana to support only 1 division 1 football program for each of those states, if those states want to compete at the highest level of college football.

Stay tuned, it will continue to get interesting in college athletics. :thumb:

Bertram said:
With their recent Bowl Ban being lifted I doubt now would be the time to transition (in their viewpoint)

I thought they self-imposed a bowl ban by having really shitty teams???

We've been reading Idaho to FCS stories ever since Big West football collapsed. Nothing has happened and nothing will as long as there are teams in the market for an out of conference body bag game against a shitty FBS opponent.
Idaho fills a need in FBS. They're not going anywhere.

mtgrizrule said:
As for Montana, I feel it would make sense to build stronger relationships in the midwest, such as the Dakota schools and Northern Iowa. Those schools/programs will likely be in the same boat as this all plays out.
I've never figured out why we wouldn't have a home and home with UNI.

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
I've never figured out why we wouldn't have a home and home with UNI.

Wasn't UNI talking about dropping football as recently as two years ago? Why on Earth would we hitch our wagon to that donkey?

Back