• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Key position battles, 2 weeks in

BWahlberg

DONOR
OK we're two weeks into Spring Ball. Here's this observational fan's opinion of current position battles that are ongoing.

Quarterback - Written off by message board users, all Brady Gustafson has done is come in as the starter on day 1 and improve quicker than all of his competition in this new system. Gus has had a pretty good first two weeks. Today's scrimmage showed he's got moving the ball up and down the field going. His RZ performance wasn't great but I saw a Stitt quote in the post-scrum write up pointing out they've not even practiced much RZ stuff and will wait until fall camp to fine tune that. Simis and Chalich are improving though and this battle isn't over. Prater took a step back today and Pflug/Trent/Weyer are in group 2 for now.

Left Guard - It largely appears that the one spot on the O-line that remains open is LG. It started with McCauley Todd last week, turned into Max Kelly this week, and even showed a bit of Robert Luke today as well. What's not overly helping is that LT John Schmaing appears to be out for most if not all of spring ball so the whole left side of the line is a little suspect with a less experienced Thiebes pulling LT duties. Luke looked the most out of place of the three in the scrimmage today. Kelly is holding his own while Todd now on the 2nd string line appears to be doing what is asked of him as well. Going to be tough to tell how this shapes out, it doesn't seem one or the other has emerged of Todd and Kelly.

Punter - As last season ended I mused that Shaw may not have his starting job handed right back to him when he returns. While I don't know if he's 100% or not (I'd guess not?) Shaw didn't match Lider's hangtime. Lider did have more punt opportunities with a longer field to kick and he smashed a few towering shots with great hang time. Shaw, meanwhile, had 2 punts to try to pin the returner - so it's tough to tell on his range compared to Lider since he had a shorter field. Shaw did not have the hang time though on his punts like Lider did. A plus to Lider as well is that he's a big guy that can handle kickoff duties on the road and get in the mix and make a tackle if needed (don't think Sullivan is really that kind of a guy). Intangibles like that tip to Lider here.

Running Back - The much anticipated stable of backs has two pulled up lame right now with Favors and Counts out for most all of spring ball. That's helped cement Nguyen as the #1 guy. He's caught Stitt's eye too who has talked about his smarts, his quickness, and his ability to make guys miss. It's helped Logwood as well who is looking to become more of the Jordan Canada-type of back. Logwood needs to improve his pass catching from what I've seen. Nguyen looks to be "the man" for now as this offense seems perfectly designed for him.

Wide Receiver - Stitt wants at least 8 WRs right? Locks are Henderson, Jones, Naccarato, Janssen, and Burke. That leaves at least 3 others who could be on the roster now or who could be here in the fall. Caleb Lyons made a great case to be one of those three today. Carlson and McGuire are in the mix too. Graham also making a case in practice.

Cornerback - Nate Harris returns as a starter but has missed all of spring camp with a sprained ankle. That's actually been a blessing for the depth as it's allowed the other corners to work out and give the coaches full looks. JR Nelson is playing his best football I've seen him play. He's always been good in practice and needs to keep showing that he can carry it over to game-day. Ryan McKinley is also looking great to be the 3rd / nickel corner. I saw he lead in tackles today. Parker & Garner are improved as well. Corner looks surprisingly deep all of the sudden.

Safety - This one is going to get interesting. Whitted is out this spring as he is recovering from something, he's done some light drills but no contact stuff. Meanwhile that's paired Jake Dallaserra and Manu Rasmussen. They've worked well together. Rasmussen has really impressed me, this guy does not play like a freshman, he's a hard hitter and good in coverage - although he hasn't been tested that much as this offense hasn't gone deep on him too often yet. So what happens when Whitted comes back? Who gets bumped back? At this point I don't honestly know. What we do know is that Whitted has battled injury most of his career so having these options is a good thing.

Sanders is listed as wearing #1 as a corner on the roster. I've not seen a #1 playing defense so I assume he's hurt/out. Ralston I think is also hurt.

BWahlberg said:
Sanders is listed as wearing #1 as a corner on the roster. I've not seen a #1 playing defense so I assume he's hurt/out. Ralston I think is also hurt.

Sanders was wearing JR Nelsons jersey in the scrimmage yesterday.

Hammer said:
BWahlberg said:

Really? Nelson was credited for all of the plays

From one of Ty G's defensive player's who was on the field:

Markel Sanders did not play Saturday, he only did warm-ups, he has not been cleared medically to play, he has not really practiced in a week, and he did not play at all in the scrimmage

Nelson was #1 in warm-ups because he needed a new jersey and the trainers went and got one from the locker room for the scrimmage, thus he was #18 on the field

BWahlberg said:
Hammer said:
BWahlberg said:

Really? Nelson was credited for all of the plays

FWIW, AJ Mazzolini tweeted that Markell Sanders got the blocked FG.

FWIW, this is just another example about spring scrimmages - there is always confusion of some sort and everyone should "lighten up" a bit on all of the things that happen during them

gogriz.com listed the blocked FG to JR Nelson, Missoulian has it for Sanders, but then it is just a spring scrimmage

Hammer said:
BWahlberg said:

That's what I was told.

Sanders might be able to play in the near future and Nate Harris will probably not be back until at least after the spring break is over, let's hope we get a lot of hurting guys back after the spring break

Hard to believe I am posting this, after his inconsistent kicking. I am relieved that Chris Lider is still a GRIZ. He gives the GRIZ a lot of special teams versatility. I really liked the job he did as a punter after Shaw was injured last season. He is also solid at kick offs. He gets his punts off much quicker than Shaw. Shaw has a great leg, but takes too long to get them off.

so what's everyone's take on the transfer QB's, seems like you guys have around 10 QB's on the roster, with Gus leading the pack ATM. Will the Transfer QB's sit around and be back-ups if they don't win the starting QB spot? Although if they didn't it doesn't seem like the end of the world if they don't, The griz snagged a few good frosh Qb's from the look of it.

SeattleBobcat said:
so what's everyone's take on the transfer QB's, seems like you guys have around 10 QB's on the roster, with Gus leading the pack ATM. Will the Transfer QB's sit around and be back-ups if they don't win the starting QB spot? Although if they didn't it doesn't seem like the end of the world if they don't, The griz snagged a few good frosh Qb's from the look of it.

I think it makes sense that Gus is leading the pack right now based on his year-over-year experience with the Griz. Knowing nothing else, I think the coach is inclined to go with his "senior" guy. I also think Chalich will eventually take over. Not sure if guys will be happy as back-ups...but many believe Pflug is the future. We'll see.

SoldierGriz said:
SeattleBobcat said:

I think it makes sense that Gus is leading the pack right now based on his year-over-year experience with the Griz. Knowing nothing else, I think the coach is inclined to go with his "senior" guy. I also think Chalich will eventually take over. Not sure if guys will be happy as back-ups...but many believe Pflug is the future. We'll see.

Other than seeing the Cats D get fixed next season, I definitely cant wait to see Stitt's new O, very intriguing. If anything you guys will have a lot of speed on the field next fall.

SeattleBobcat said:
SoldierGriz said:
SeattleBobcat said:

Other than seeing the Cats D get fixed next season, I definitely cant wait to see Stitt's new O, very intriguing. If anything you guys will have a lot of speed on the field next fall.

The main QB transfers are Chalich and Prater. I am pretty confident Prater will be staying no matter how thing play out in the QB competition. His wife is from MT. They came to Missoula as a family. He also has his schooling taken care of using his military benefits. I am sure it would be icing on the cake if he also was offered a football scholarship, then he could later use his military benefits. As things look now with scholarships, I doubt he will be offered a scholarship until 2016 academic year.

I really am not sure how Chalich would react to being a FCS back up. I hear a lot of good things about him, on and off the field. The GRIZ have 4 solid qbs (Gustafson, Prater, Chalich, Simis) who will be ready to play this season, and another QB (Pflug) who will likely redshirt.

Ideally, Stitt's offense finds itself sooner than most expect and they all get playing time this year. It will remain interesting how Stitt manages the QB and WR positions, with so much depth at those positions. In my opinion, that is a good problem to have. :thumb:

#18 was beaten badly on Josh Janssen's 40 yard grab.

Janssen was probably mad at Gustafson for not giving him a better ball, it would have been a walk-in touchdown if he hit him in stride. (even Gustafson said this on the news)

But then again, if Janssen was one step faster it would have been a walk-in TD as well.

So it goes both ways. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back