• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Injuries concern?

66volvo

Is it just me or are others confused as to why so many of our players are either 1) injured 2) not medically cleared to play 3) not available to practice 4) standing two deep on the sideline in sweats 4) unable to suit up for spring ball 4) nursing last year's dings, etc. etc.

How does that speak to conditioning? How does a new coach possibly assess talent when so many are "platooned" in the medical ward? I mean, none of these players have even been through a complete season of full contact yet and the list seems to keep growing. Im puzzled why so many are not playing when spring ball is riddled with "sweats only" "light contact" "walk throughs" and "lots of standing around" moments. Can someone shed some light...? :roll:

There are several people recovering from post season surgery and they will be cautious with them to ensure they can heal correctly for next fall. With the graduation of seniors and the off-season surgeries there are always a few positions we are thin at and a few people that may play out of position to fill depth. This is also the time that players are tested at other positions for possible changes to find the right fit. You can add in an ankle injury or two and this is pretty standard every spring.

Pretty common for spring ball, lots of guys held out as a precaution or recovery from surgery.

BWahlberg said:
Pretty common for spring ball, lots of guys held out as a precaution or recovery from surgery.

Exactly. How is this any different than any other spring practices in previous years? Or any other college's spring practice??? Offseason surgerys take place right after the season is over and it's not uncommon for several fall starters to miss spring ball.

Yup, agree w9ith Hammer and BW, nothing new here. Nothing to be concerned or confused about. Tons of guys have injuries that didn't get taken care of until the season was over because they battled through them and left it all on the field DURING the season. If they miss some spring ball to get better, than so be it. They deserve the time to heal up after laying it all on the line for the Griz and all of us paranoid fans, SOME of whom always seem to be looking for the next "Problem" with the football program.

SAMSDAD said:
BWahlberg said:

Joey Counts?

Yup, he's one of them. I believe there's 12 or so guys out due to injuries or recovery from surgeries.

BWahlberg said:
SAMSDAD said:
BWahlberg said:

Joey Counts?

Yup, he's one of them. I believe there's 12 or so guys out due to injuries or recovery from surgeries.

Are these guys not doing any practicing at all or are they really limited to what they can do and are doing some things? I have had a lot of surgeries, and usually the Dr. gets me back in action ASAP.

reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
SAMSDAD said:
BWahlberg said:

Joey Counts?

Are these guys not doing any practicing at all or are they really limited to what they can do and are doing some things? I have had a lot of surgeries, and usually the Dr. gets me back in action ASAP.

It depends on the injury and the status of rehab for each player. Usually players participate in drills that are no contact. It is also very common for those players to spend that time learning the playbook and their responsibilities. :thumb:

reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
SAMSDAD said:
BWahlberg said:

Joey Counts?

Here's what I've seen - when the team breaks to individual unit drills where each group does individual work with their coaches. The players that are out usually are in a group together on the sideline. They're usually doing workouts/lifts/stretches the whole time. There's not a lot of standing around for them. With other coaches injured guys would usually be inactive. It seems with this staff they're doing what they can to keep them conditioned - within the limit of the injury/recovery of course.

When they go to 11 on 11 stuff or some 7 on 7 about half of the time the guys will make their way over and observe and work with the coaches. Other times though they continue to do some sort of conditioning/cardio work.

No one wants to see anyone injured, but there are guys getting reps that need the work & it gives the coaches a chance to take a longer look @ them.

Back