• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Then there was 2 - QB race to Gus and Chalich?

BWahlberg

DONOR
Based on what Stitt is saying at this point it's Gus and Chalich. Like he says Makena isn't out but it would seem that tomorrow night's scrimmage will mostly be reps for Gustafson and Chalich.

http://grizsports.com/griz-practice-quick-kicks-wednesday-325/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Potent Quotables

“It’s just one of those things where we’ve got too many quarterbacks and not enough reps. Makena’s not out of thing by any means, but we’ve got to make plays in the scrimmages and he didn’t make ‘em. We’ve got to look at these other guys and see if they can make ‘em tomorrow night.”

— Head coach Bob Stitt, when asked why sophomore Makena Simis did not draw any live reps in Monday’s practice. Simis, who started the spring as the No. 3 QB, was back at No. 4 Wednesday and will still likely see action during Thursday’s second spring scrimmage at 6 p.m.

What is curious to me is AJ's observational depth goes:

QB: Brady Gustafson, jr., Chad Chalich, jr., Eric Prater, fr., Makena Simis, so.

But if he's going off scrimmage performance I'm surprised to see Prater ahead of Simis. Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Perhaps Prater is starting to get re-accustomed to the speed of real time. From the practice notes it sounds like he was making a few good plays. I'm excited about Gus though, it sounds like he's learning quickly. The receivers seem to have caught on very fast, with guys like Hendu and Jones players like Jansen, Naccarato, and Lyons will have the chance to benefit from possible weaker coverage.

I love the question mark thread. That's how AJ posited that Simis was out and the qb race was down to 3, now apparently 2? Stirs the pot.

I heard the QB depth chart goes: Gustafson, Chalich, Prater, Simis.

*One of my egriz "insider" favorites. Someone reports what they "have heard" within the same thread that it was published in.

BTW, all four of these kids come from really strong families.

A few months ago, when Stitt was hired, it was a near certainty (as far as the message boards go) that Gus would be transferring out. Now, he appears to have the inside track on being the starting QB come fall. Good for him. Stitt must've given him a helluva pep talk when he came on board. And Selle coming on as QB coach may not have hurt either. That is, if Gus was even seriously considering a transfer.

I find it very interesting how different a head coach sees things as opposed to our panel of experts.

cclarkblues said:
I find it very interesting how different a head coach sees things as opposed to our panel of experts.

Yeah Coach Stitt, what's up with that? :punch:

griz5700 said:
I called it....

1. Gus
2. Chalich

:thumb:

images

Based only on seeing the first scrimmage, it looks like Gus to me. When Chalich was in everything went slower. It took longer to get the play off and he didn't get off passes quickly and too often ended up running around for time. He improved in his later reps, but things seemed to move briskly along when Gus was in. And, as I understand it, that is the point of Stitt's game.

In an offense the requires QB mobility and quick, reaction-type throws, it seems counter-intuitive that a 6'7" guy could be the best choice. Either BG is a remarkable athlete -- or just the best of what there is to choose from.

Grisly Fan said:
In an offense the requires QB mobility and quick, reaction-type throws, it seems counter-intuitive that a 6'7" guy could be the best choice. Either BG is a remarkable athlete -- or just the best of what there is to choose from.

Where are some assuming Stitt's offense requires a mobile QB and/or good runner?
Stitt has said from the get go, qb mobility/running is not a high priority for this offense. He has said a few times, the top traits are: quick decision making, good passing fundamentals, and accurate passing. Stitt has said this offense is more like the West Coast system, not the spread option system. Arguably the best ever at the West Coast system was Joe Montana, who was not mobile.

mtgrizrule said:
Grisly Fan said:

Where are some assuming Stitt's offense requires a mobile QB and/or good runner?
Stitt has said from the get go, qb mobility/running is not a high priority for this offense. He has said a few times, the top traits are: quick decision making, good passing fundamentals, and accurate passing. Stitt has said this offense is more like the West Coast system, not the spread option system. Arguably the best ever at the West Coast system was Joe Montana, who was not mobile.

I agree Gus doesn't fit the mold we assumed the QB would look like. However, look at the ndsu qb, Wentz, or something like that. He's a big, tall qb like Gus. Smart, with a great arm and has good enough legs to keep the defense honest. Sure, it's a different kind of offense, but i believe Stitt would take a guy like Gus if he can run the O and keep the D honest. He might not be the "take it to the house" guy but give him room and he'll make you pay. Can't ask for much more than that.

Just an observation: How many QBs on the roster now, seven? We end up with a starter, and a baclkup. Five with no purpose, redshirt some, and probable future transfers. Seems like misplaced emphasis when handing out scholarships, partial or full.

brootgrizr said:
Based only on seeing the first scrimmage, it looks like Gus to me. When Chalich was in everything went slower. It took longer to get the play off and he didn't get off passes quickly and too often ended up running around for time. He improved in his later reps, but things seemed to move briskly along when Gus was in. And, as I understand it, that is the point of Stitt's game.

When Chalich was in the second string center was putting a rotation on the ball that made everything a half second off. Never saw a center do that but leeds credence to the above statement.

statler & waldorf said:
Seems like misplaced emphasis when handing out scholarships, partial or full.

What is the breakdown on scholarships? Who are on full scholarships and who are on partials? Prater has no scholarship, but has military assistance, right?

In discussing the prime attributes of a QB we need to remember that Stitt developed this offensive to score despite inferior athletes.

statler & waldorf said:
Just an observation: How many QBs on the roster now, seven? We end up with a starter, and a baclkup. Five with no purpose, redshirt some, and probable future transfers. Seems like misplaced emphasis when handing out scholarships, partial or full.

Seems like a clueless post to me.

Grisly Fan said:
When I read this the first person I thought of was Brock Osweiler. Very tall, but yet still very mobile and known as a guy that can run the ball well.

Back