• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2nd scrimmage wrap up

BWahlberg

DONOR
The offense showed some good improvement and while nowhere near ready for the season to get rolling - they're showing positive signs. Today Gustafson had two good drives, Prater had one, and Simis had one. Gus and Simis both threw a TD and Gus and Prater lead the team on fieldgoal drives. You can see that the offense is starting to "get it".

As I'm told this is a shell of the actual complexity of the total offense. The team needs to get this down and can build from there.

Some general thoughts:

1. Brady Gustafson remained the clear choice as the starter but Prater and Simis showed improvement and maybe closed the gap on him. Gus was possibly robbed of at least 1 TD pass when JR Nelson held Ellis Henderson who burned him on a deep route. A few series later another play that would've been a long gain and maybe a TD was also stopped by a PI - that wasn't flagged but drew jeers from the crowd. Guff on the PA even said he was "throwing the flag from the booth."

2. Eric Prater had a long drive as did Makena Simis. Prater's long drive was almost blown up twice on near picks. One play Markell Sanders just missed a for sure pick 6 and it went for a 20 yard gain instead. Simis's drive for a TD was choppy but he got it going and tossed a nice TD.

3. John Nguyen is our starting RB. Logwood is improving but I can't imagine anyone in attendance today thought that anyone other than Nguyen is our best RB out there. Good strong running, a catch or two I believe, hard to tackle, followed blocks well.

4. We got to see some depth on defense make a few plays. Mick Delaney had a few nice breakups, Lebsock picked a pass on the last play of the game. Nate Bradley and Jamaal Wilson had some good plays as interior d-tackles.

5. The 1st string D-line won the day against the 1st string O-line. Tyrone Holmes rushed past both Thiebes and Reese for multiple sacks. Caleb Kidder had a sack and a few breakups. Derek Crittenden had at least 1 pass breakup and a sack I think.

6. Great pick by Eric Johnson. It was 4th and 10 and Gus tossed a deep ball up the sideline in the face of a heavy blitz. The corner was right on the WR and Johnson played it perfectly for a very nice toe-tapping pick on the sideline.

7. The speed on the offense was certainly an effective weapon. The defense was caught off guard more than once with quick snaps. Sometimes converting 4th downs even on quick run plays.

8. Sullivan and Lider both made fieldgoals, Greenberg a PAT. Most kickoffs were landing between the 5 and goal line. Shaw punted just once I think, Lider took the rest and punted well.

9. While Henderson is working his way back in Jamal Jones is playing like a legit #1 WR. Good quickness and hands.

10. 1st string O-line remained Luke-Dietrich-Weyer-Kelly-Thiebes. The left side of Kelly and Thiebes was suspect.... granted they were matched up largely against Kidder and Holmes.

------------

Concerns and issues that I saw: O-line concerns remain, especially on the edge. Gus with pressure and on the run wasn't very good at all - inaccurate and rushed passes. Simis and Prater were staring down their targets and sometimes threw right at defenders with no actual WR in the area. A few drops - one turned out ok as Naccaratto had one go through his hands and Jones pulled it down for a first. DBs were holding and interfering. It got one flag, could've got 1 or 2 more.

Helena in a few weeks should be fun, looking forward to it!

I've been out of the loop for a bit... Where is Counts during all this? I thought he was healthy and returning??

NLGrizFan said:
I've been out of the loop for a bit... Where is Counts during all this? I thought he was healthy and returning??

Out for now, not sure if it's a new injury or recovery still.

BWahlberg said:
NLGrizFan said:

Out for now, not sure if it's a new injury or recovery still.
I was really hoping to see him again. He'd probably be a huge help in the offense.

Is going for it on 4th down part of Stitt's philosophy or was that just something for the scrimmage?

DPGriz said:
Is going for it on 4th down part of Stitt's philosophy or was that just something for the scrimmage?

Goes for it a lot, he did that at CSM too, he doesn't punt that often.

NLGrizFan said:
Oh. I didn't know that. What's the story with Carl Johnson? (Looking at the roster)

Wasn't he listed as a fullback last year? Making the most of his opportunity, IMO.

Thanks for the report! My felling is our D line will actually be better with Kidder and Holmes. I know that's a bold statement but time will tell and I'm confident this Defense will be much better than last year with the Db's being better and more deep.

BWahlberg said:
The offense showed some good improvement and while nowhere near ready for the season to get rolling - they're showing positive signs. Today Gustafson had two good drives, Prater had one, and Simis had one. Gus and Simis both threw a TD and Gus and Prater lead the team on fieldgoal drives. You can see that the offense is starting to "get it".

As I'm told this is a shell of the actual complexity of the total offense. The team needs to get this down and can build from there.

Some general thoughts:

1. Brady Gustafson remained the clear choice as the starter but Prater and Simis showed improvement and maybe closed the gap on him. Gus was possibly robbed of at least 1 TD pass when JR Nelson held Ellis Henderson who burned him on a deep route. A few series later another play that would've been a long gain and maybe a TD was also stopped by a PI - that wasn't flagged but drew jeers from the crowd. Guff on the PA even said he was "throwing the flag from the booth."

2. Eric Prater had a long drive as did Makena Simis. Prater's long drive was almost blown up twice on near picks. One play Markell Sanders just missed a for sure pick 6 and it went for a 20 yard gain instead. Simis's drive for a TD was choppy but he got it going and tossed a nice TD.

3. John Nguyen is our starting RB. Logwood is improving but I can't imagine anyone in attendance today thought that anyone other than Nguyen is our best RB out there. Good strong running, a catch or two I believe, hard to tackle, followed blocks well.

4. We got to see some depth on defense make a few plays. Mick Delaney had a few nice breakups, Lebsock picked a pass on the last play of the game. Nate Bradley and Jamaal Wilson had some good plays as interior d-tackles.

5. The 1st string D-line won the day against the 1st string O-line. Tyrone Holmes rushed past both Thiebes and Reese for multiple sacks. Caleb Kidder had a sack and a few breakups. Derek Crittenden had at least 1 pass breakup and a sack I think.

6. Great pick by Eric Johnson. It was 4th and 10 and Gus tossed a deep ball up the sideline in the face of a heavy blitz. The corner was right on the WR and Johnson played it perfectly for a very nice toe-tapping pick on the sideline.

7. The speed on the offense was certainly an effective weapon. The defense was caught off guard more than once with quick snaps. Sometimes converting 4th downs even on quick run plays.

8. Sullivan and Lider both made fieldgoals, Greenberg a PAT. Most kickoffs were landing between the 5 and goal line. Shaw punted just once I think, Lider took the rest and punted well.

9. While Henderson is working his way back in Jamal Jones is playing like a legit #1 WR. Good quickness and hands.

10. 1st string O-line remained Luke-Dietrich-Weyer-Kelly-Thiebes. The left side of Kelly and Thiebes was suspect.... granted they were matched up largely against Kidder and Holmes.

------------

Concerns and issues that I saw: O-line concerns remain, especially on the edge. Gus with pressure and on the run wasn't very good at all - inaccurate and rushed passes. Simis and Prater were staring down their targets and sometimes threw right at defenders with no actual WR in the area. A few drops - one turned out ok as Naccaratto had one go through his hands and Jones pulled it down for a first. DBs were holding and interfering. It got one flag, could've got 1 or 2 more.

Helena in a few weeks should be fun, looking forward to it!

I get the impression you are not exactly blown away by the offense. Concerned?

Not concerned in the least. This is a shell of the entire thing. The team has another week of spring ball, summer workouts, and fall camp. Long ways to go.

The defense is still way ahead of the offense, or way better.

Any offense or qb going against the top D wasn't going to look very good.

The 4 qb's looked good, fine and not so good, depending on the series and play. Didn't think any stood out. Gus has a strong arm and throws a nice ball, but sometimes it didn't seem to end up where the receiver was. This wasn't necessarily accuracy. Not many passes thrown to the running backs.

If there was a standout on the O, it was John Nguyen. Looked very quick and shifty, with nice acceleration.

Receivers caught the ball well. Corners knew how to hold Henderson when he was going long, and saved some big plays. Lyons caught everything, all short, except one--that I noticed. Hollenback had several nice catches, including a 25 yarder from Prader that looked like a late throw to the sideline that was going to get picked.

Lider had several very nice and long punts. Nguyen and Henderson caught the punts when I was watching. Placekickers kicked the ball fairly well and long.

A safety, maybe Johnson?, made a tremendous interception on a long pass down the sideline. Nice catch, but better play to be over to the sideline to make the play. Didn't notice any fumbles. Several picks. Multiple bad throws that could have been picked.

Brint, were there any blitzes at all? I don't recall any. D-line put pretty good heat on the qb's a number of times.

Didn't notice any injuries during the scrimmage.

griz4life said:
Was there a third string offense? Might that be why Chalich had a rough time?

Nope, they're going 1's and 2's. Chalich had 2 series, only completed pass was a wobbly one that was in the face of pressure, went for a loss of 6 yards. Stitt was wondering why the WR would even catch that pass.

BWahlberg said:
NLGrizFan said:
Oh. I didn't know that. What's the story with Carl Johnson? (Looking at the roster)

Wasn't he listed as a fullback last year? Making the most of his opportunity, IMO.
That's kinda what I was wondering. I thought the Griz recruited 4 FBs altogether but not 100% sure on that. He's only listed at 180 tho. So maybe I'm thinkin of someone else??

BWahlberg said:
DPGriz said:

He's following Rob Ash's philosophy of playing the odds on 4th down by going for it. Becoming more the norm than ever before.

Catsrback76 said:
BWahlberg said:
DPGriz said:

He's following Rob Ash's philosophy of playing the odds on 4th down by going for it. Becoming more the norm than ever before.

Don't you dare mention Stitt with the likes of Mr .500, I bite my thumb at you sir!

Back