• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Because someone had to do it...

ari gold

B.J. Kelley, Jamal Prater won't return for senior seasons with Oregon Ducks

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/03/bj_kelley_jamal_prater_wont_re.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When Oregon gathers Tuesday for the first of its 15 spring football practices, two Ducks won't be joining.

Offensive lineman Jamal Prater and receiver B.J. Kelley won't be back for their senior seasons in 2015, an Oregon spokesman confirmed to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Each was a backup at a deep position during his career and, at least for Kelley, the lack of opportunity prompted his departure.

"A lot of times I could have had an opportunity and I felt like I just didn't get it," Kelley said in a phone interview. "I don't regret being here at Oregon. There will never be another opportunity from what I've experienced. They can never take that back."

Prater was recruited out of Etiwanda (Calif.) High School as the country's No. 73-ranked offensive tackle by Rivals. He worked on the scout team in 2011 before playing in nine total games in his career, including five in 2014.

Kelley, a gregarious personality who built a following of thousands on social media, was recruited out of Fresno, California, as a four-star recruit with top-end speed. He played in 24 career games, appearing in fewer each season after catching six passes and two touchdowns in 11 games as a redshirt freshman in 2011.

"I'm kind of sad it didn't work out the way I wanted," said Kelley, adding it was his decision to leave the program. "I just wish it stayed on the course it was on for a little bit."

He finishes with seven career catches for 116 yards. He considered transferring after his redshirt freshman season, when then-coach Chip Kelly left for the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles, he said, and decided to leave the team last fall.

Kelley is still in Eugene and remains a few credits short of a general social science degree but is unsure whether he will stay in school at Oregon for the spring academic quarter as he considers his next plan. He has been in contact with Football Bowl Subdivision schools -- where he could play immediately without sitting out a year -- about a transfer but said he is leaving his options open.

"It's been a while coming," he said. "I'd love to play football where the opportunity comes."

Kelley also moonlighted as a sprinter for the Ducks' track and field program. In 2013, he ran on a 4x100 relay team that earned second-team All-American honors by running the sixth-fastest short relay (39.89) in school history.

Prater could be reached for comment Thursday.

Last fall, Kelley earned scout offensive player of the week honors for his work leading up to UO's victory against Michigan State.

"The guy has done a great job, not a good job, a great job, on scout team offense and special teams units," head coach Mark Helfrich said at the time.

Kelley and Prater are the latest Ducks choosing not to return to the team, following offensive lineman Andre Yruretagoyena (retirement), receiver Chance Allen (transfer), defensive backs Stephen Amoako (transfer) and Issac Dixon (transfer) and defensive lineman Sam Kamp (retirement).

Ducks players and coaches are currently on spring break, but will reconvene Tuesday at the start of the spring academic quarter. The program holds its annual intrasquad spring game May 2 in Autzen Stadium.

-- Andrew Greif
[email protected]
503-221-8100
@andrewgreif

I thought you had to have seasons of eligibility left (or have graduated) to transfer to FCS schools?

If we have a scholarship to spare, we could use the OL Jamal Prater. That would also give the GRIZ another Jamal/Jamaal. We really don't need any more WR's.

Fahque said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
These kids know nothing of commitment.
Why should they remain committed if all they do is get passed over?

The commitment part is an inside joke on egriz as of this recruiting class. Commit yourself to reading plenty of commitment posts on EGRIZ. :thumb:

Back