• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring camp players with rising stock

BWahlberg

DONOR
After 3 weeks (with 1 more to go) I thought I’d bring forth a few guys that have really made strides so far. Ones that have stood out to this fan who has been watching from the sidelines. This isn’t meaning to say there aren’t others that are having a good spring – but these guys seem to be making the most of their time and their efforts could equate into solid playing time this fall.

1. Ryan McKinley – Ryan was looked upon to be a promising contributor in the secondary in 2014 but an early injury cost him more than half of the season. He’s returned this spring with a vengeance. One of our taller and bigger corners at 6-1, 190 he’s stepped up to run with the 1’s while Nate Harris sits out this spring. JR Nelson opposite of McKinley has had a solid camp as well and with Ryan rising to the occasion it would seem that the cornerback position is suddenly deep and very talented (Garner, Sanders, and Parker also playing well). McKinley will presumably be used as the 3rd corner and will rotate with Harris and Nelson this season. He’s looking like he’s ready for the job. He plays very physically and goes after the ball when it’s in the air really well. He’s had a handful of picks this spring.

2. Manu Rassmussen – Manu, much like McKinley, has had the benefit of playing in the place of an injured starter. In his case it’s for Justin Whitted who is out recovering from an off-season surgery. Rassmussen is a hard hitter, an enforcer type of guy. He could benefit even more with 10-15 more pounds of muscle and I’ll bet he gets there (listed at 180 pounds). Rassmussen is playing out of his mind good this spring as a freshman. The future at safety is bright, and it gives hope that if Whitted has more injury issues in 2015 that we’ve got a rising star behind him.

3. Brady Gustafson – Brady appears to have cemented himself as the starting QB for the Griz. Barring a major melt-down that would have to carry all the way into fall camp that is. Brady started as #1 on the first day and hasn’t relinquished his role. He has a strong arm and is one of the few QBs that is better (but not great) about scanning the field and looking off coverage. He’s also shown more ability to attack downfield instead of just opting for check-downs. Gus has a long ways to go and the QB race isn’t over… but he’s in the lead and he’s showing that he could be the right guy for the job. Keep in mind too Griz nation, Stitt isn’t looking for the most mobile QB but one that can attack what the defense gives him, one that recognizes gaps in coverage, and one that can effectively manage long drives that take 12 or more plays. Brady’s the guy at this point.

4. John Nguyen – While egriz drools over the next incoming prospect or hypes up another guy they’ve been posting about for years it seems that Nguyen was getting passed over from the message board experts. John’s had an awesome spring camp and he showed it last night in the scrimmage. He’s the perfect fit for this offense. As we’ve read and seen with CSM teams, Stitt’s feature back will be 1000+ yards on the ground and 500+ yards receiving. John has shown the ability to be a powerful runner, a quick and shifty runner, and a good receiver (not as good as his brother yet but he’s getting there). If Nguyen stays on ST duty he could lead the league in all purpose yards this year.

5. Nate Bradley & Caleb Kidder – One name you expect, another you may not have. While Zach Peevey works his way back from some injury Bradley has stepped into his spot on the #1 interior d-line. He’s done really well. This was a scout team guy that I think scratched and clawed to stay on the team last spring. Now he’s going to be one of the three interior tackles that gets a lot of playing time this season. I expect a healthy Zach Peevey gets his job back but Bradley has shown some Ben Hughes-like traits as a D-tackle (if you recall Hughes was also a little forgotten as an undersized DT who had a great final year in 2011) Bradley’s difference is that he’s only a sophomore! Caleb Kidder I’m also listing because it seems that we’re finally getting the see the Caleb Kidder we’ve been expecting. He’s been pressuring the QB very well, tracking down runners, getting some sacks, and batting passes down. He’s the size of a DT but playing like a D-end, he’s going to be a handful for a lot of O-lines.

6. David Reese, Devon Dietrich, and Ben Weyer – While the left side of the O-line is testing out multiple LG’s and has its primary LT in sweats this spring (Schmaing) – the right side and center have shown good improvement. By no means is this group anywhere near where they probably want to be, but the right ride has (I believe) protected much better and allowed quite a few longer run plays. I recall a handful of Nguyen and Logwood runs on the right side going for good gains. I suppose it’s no surprise that these three guys would be looking better considering that Dietrich started every game last year and Weyer and Reese played in all but 1 or 2 games as starters.

7. Caleb Lyons & Zach Hollenbeck – Lyons has lead in receptions in both scrimmages and shown incredible ability to pile up “yards after catch”. He’s been doing kick returns as well. Caleb has a chance to get some time on the field this season. He needs to keep working on blocking and probably not grabbing negative 6 yard passes (ha) but he’s been one of the younger guys that’s really jumped out. The other is Zach Hollenbeck, who I’m going to presume is a walk-on. The first practice I saw I was wondering, “who is #20?” because he was getting a handful of throws his way with the younger squad. Hollenbeck has a bit of a road ahead of him to seeing the field, being a freshman in a very crowded position, but he’s making the most of his efforts and scored a TD last night and had over 50 yards receiving on 3 catches.

Like I said, it’s not just these guys… however these are some of the players that have stood out to me. It’s been a fun spring camp so far.

I give this report 5.5 ponies!

My-Little-Pony-Friendship-is-Magic-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-33207334-1097-620.png

Thanks Brint!

BW, your the only person here that I'll read the thread just cus you wrote it. Keep up the good work.

Glad to see one of the QB's stepping up and showing Stitt some things he likes to see. Even happier its a Montana boy. Sounds like none of the others have began to seperate themselves yet.

One positive side to injuries is the playing time for the younger guys in spring. Gives us a chance to see who's next in line.

It is encouraging seeing young DB's step up. I feel Markell Sanders will be a major contributor as well. Coach Stitt sounded pretty confident Sanders would be an impact xfr this season. How will the depth chart will look when Sanders gets healthy? It is a good problem to have. I hope we see nickel and dime packages be more prevalent against better passing teams and passing situations.

alabamagrizzly said:
BW, your the only person here that I'll read the thread just cus you wrote it. Keep up the good work.

Glad to see one of the QB's stepping up and showing Stitt some things he likes to see. Even happier its a Montana boy. Sounds like none of the others have began to seperate themselves yet.

One positive side to injuries is the playing time for the younger guys in spring. Gives us a chance to see who's next in line.

I call BS on your first comment, I am a must read and I know that you read or at least click on every thread I start..................do not bother denying it as I know you would be lying and I dont want to have to call you out for that as well.

I'm not on the Gus boat.... Disappointing if he is the best QB... Even more disappointed in some of the other QB's to get beat out by him.... He has never impressed me in Games, scrimmages or practice. I would hope Simis or Chalich pass him for the first start and hold onto it.

AlaskaGriz said:
I'm not on the Gus boat.... Disappointing if he is the best QB... Even more disappointed in some of the other QB's to get beat out by him.... He has never impressed me in Games, scrimmages or practice. I would hope Simis or Chalich pass him for the first start and hold onto it.
So apparently in your mind the first impression is all that is necessary and there can never be maturity and growth.

It was my opinion, he has been on the team for three years and I have not seen much. If his commitment to the weight room is any example of improvement over time than I would so NO.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I call BS on your first comment, I am a must read and I know that you read or at least click on every thread I start..................do not bother denying it as I know you would be lying and I dont want to have to call you out for that as well.
Your correct but I guess I should have clarified. BW is the only one I read as far as football content and anyone else would be because of their thread title. Your like a train wreck. I know it's there and I know it's gonna be awful but I just can't look away.

alabamagrizzly said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Your correct but I guess I should have clarified. BW is the only one I read as far as football content and anyone else would be because of their thread title. Your like a train wreck. I know it's there and I know it's gonna be awful but I just can't look away.

I can tell you this, AG1 would never embarrass his 5th grade English by incorrectly using "your" instead of the
proper "you're". Twice.....

CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I can tell you this, AG1 would never embarrass his 5th grade English by incorrectly using "your" instead of the
Well luckily for me I could give a shit about his 5th grade English teacher, my 5th grade English teacher, your 5th grade English teacher, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm posting on a fan message board, not writing a thesis on molecular biology.

Sorry, had to vent. I'm sic of people correcting people's English on here. It's almost as annoying as big g or playerreps constant negative posts. I relize my eng ain't great but I DON'T CARE. Sorry, if that's too much to deal with then I guess y'all will have to continue to be my grammar checker and don't 4get to check out the football content in my posts also. Thnx.

alabamagrizzly said:
CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Well luckily for me I could give a shit about his 5th grade English teacher, my 5th grade English teacher, your 5th grade English teacher, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm posting on a fan message board, not writing a thesis on molecular biology.

Sorry, had to vent. I'm sic of people correcting people's English on here. It's almost as annoying as big g or playerreps constant negative posts. I relize my eng ain't great but I DON'T CARE. Sorry, if that's too much to deal with then I guess y'all will have to continue to be my grammar checker and don't 4get to check out the football content in my posts also. Thnx.

Let's go back & correct the whole thing. No one in Montana had a 5th grade English teacher, did we? We all had a 5th grade teacher who likely taught you most every subject. Come on, we all rode horses or walked to school & back, uphill both ways. When hunting season came, it was like Christmas, because we were out of school for the two weeks of the early season. So busy being bad asses, which ta my mind, is the reason ur grammar & spellin isn't what it shoulda oughtn't ben.

CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Me thinks someone missed the joke here... :lol:

alabamagrizzly said:

normally, i'd let this go, but the irony of misspelling "sick" as "sic" is too delicious. couldn't help myself.

AZGrizFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

My apologies Alabama. My post was intended to be more of a defense of Alpha's provocative posting style then a "dish" of your grammatical ability. Alpha is good at what he does on Egriz. If YOUR going to take him on, make sure that you take your vitamins, breath slow and deliberate and have your "ducks in a row". One of the many posters that "high jack" Alpha's Egiz account from time to time is certainly always on the prowl to get a reaction out of unprepared posters....

CV Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

My apologies Alabama. My post was intended to be more of a defense of Alpha's provocative posting style then a "dish" of your grammatical ability. Alpha is good at what he does on Egriz. If YOUR going to take him on, make sure that you take your vitamins, breath slow and deliberate and have your "ducks in a row". One of the many posters that "high jack" Alpha's Egiz account from time to time is certainly always on the prowl to get a reaction out of unprepared posters....
Sorry CV. Didn't mean to go off on you, just tired of all the nit picking around here on grammatics and people missing the point on good football posts. I see it all the time to other posters too. I relize most of you are college grads but I feel the grammatical corrections are an insult to those of us that can only check some college on our job applications.

BW, sorry for completely derailing this post. Do you think Luke will lock down the gaurd spot?

Here comes my frustration......why the hell are we now 3 seasons into the same situation of concern regarding the offensive line. Schmaing missed an entire season and is now side lined with an injury? Last years left tackles were owned most of the season and here we are in a patch work 2015 o- line. It's no surprise the defense is seeing so much success.....they have no competition up front. Carry on :coffee:

Back