• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krakauer getting defensive?

PlayerRep

Looks like a variety of people have already been getting ready to get on the offensive against Krakauer. From this article, Krakauer appears to be betting defensive--already.

"Paoli threatened a lawsuit, and Pabst sent Krakauer's lawyer a “thinly veiled threat” of libel in response to his questions, the author said."

"In an email, Pabst said she was not given adequate time to offer meaningful input, and she did not believe the author was interested in the facts."

This quote (below) made me laugh. The dean is the person who bungled the Saudi student sexual assault matter. Looks like Krakauer may have omitted the Saudi student incident in his book. Really great research Krakauer; no agenda. Ha. The guy's a joke.

"On campus, now retired UM Dean of Students Charles Couture was a swift and uncompromising investigator of student assaults, a man who delivered justice for young women more effectively than law enforcement, according to cases the book presents."

Credit to the Missoulian and Florio for prompting the DOJ investigation.

"“The Missoulian without a doubt deserves the credit for prompting the DOJ investigation and the reforms, which I think are significant,” Krakauer said."

http://missoulian.com/news/local/krakauer-discusses-missoula-rape-and-the-justice-system-in-a/article_d1938863-d0fc-5d02-a9cb-c0323fc792f1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Krakauer is messing with the wrong people in the wrong state. If he's made mistakes in his book, and/or makes some in his interviews, he's going to get a lawsuit or two--in a state where the law, judges and juries don't take kindly to out-of-staters saying untrue things.

The thing with Kristen is she was asked, at a very late hour to answer ONLY specific (loaded) questions. She wasn't asked for an interview while this work was in the early stages.

Krakauer only contacted her recently so he could say she refused to answer questions. (Lawsuit disclaimer)

The Missoulian is obviously as bad as Krakauer. They go after a non-story and make it big news that lead to a lot of damage to UM and to a college kid, yet pretty much let a judge have a pass on letting a child rapist-5 year old girl, get away with no jail time. I have not seen any follow-up story on the judges decision, maybe because it wouldn't sell papers like a UM QB accused of rape (but turns out to be a scorned girl after consensual sex.) http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_2c4bd0f5-91b4-5c56-82ab-e633980aa366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

signedbewildered said:
The thing with Kristen is she was asked, at a very late hour to answer ONLY specific (loaded) questions. She wasn't asked for an interview while this work was in the early stages.

Krakauer only contacted her recently so he could say she refused to answer questions. (Lawsuit disclaimer)

The Krakauer book's upcoming publication and its subject matter were announced on Feb. 9. Within a week or so, there was press that almost no one who was involved with what had occurred, i.e. the defense lawyers, county attorney, police, university, had been contacted by Krakauer. Then on Feb. 25, Krakauer emailed a list of questions to Pabst. Krakauer appears to be running a bit scared already. I like quote in the article in which Pabst referred to the Krakauer "novel".

PlayerRep said:
signedbewildered said:

The Krakauer book's upcoming publication and its subject matter were announced on Feb. 9. Within a week or so, there was press that almost no one who was involved with what had occurred, i.e. the defense lawyers, county attorney, police, university, had been contacted by Krakauer. Then on Feb. 25, Krakauer emailed a list of questions to Pabst. Krakauer appears to be running a bit scared already. I like quote in the article in which Pabst referred to the Krakauer "novel".
The Rolling Stone debacle had exposed the flashpoint of modern social justice reporting; that it was a permissible journalistic "tool" to be "sympathetic" to any given protaganist to the point of excluding, entirely, any effort at obtaining the points of view of others in any given story, and even at simply attempting to confirm various claims.

Sabrina Erdely was not a "one off" of a mistake. She is representative of something that has become not just acceptable in American journalism, but from a given political point of view, a requirement. That certain elements of society, defined by racial, class, and religious affiliation, do not deserve to have their stories told. In contrast, other elements of society, preferred racial, class and religious identities, deserve to have their stories told uncomplicated by references to facts and circumstances.

Erdely's only "sin" in that regard was that she got caught in a big and public way by a fabulist who unfortunately represents also the kind of self-appointed victim who ... isn't. Krakauer is very much of that view of reporting and of society. The timing and sequence of his belated efforts to "fix" his reporting very clearly relates to the similarity between his approach and the Rolling Stone approach, and his frantic efforts to distance himself from precisely the kind of reporting that led to one of the biggest debacles in American maintstream journalism.

What is interesting is that the eagle-eyed Missoulian coverage, basking in his praise, missed the real story there as well.

Krakhauer is an embarrassment. He wrote the book seeking only evidence in support of his position. In light of the Rolling Stone debacle, he now tries to save face by contacting Pabst. He is a joke. I'm embarrassed to have paid for and read some of his novels.

Think this will be in Krakhauer's book?
According to the figures, MSU handled 63 forcible sexual assault reports between 2002 and 2012 compared with 59 at Washington State University. UM handled 31 reports while Idaho State handled 25 and the University of Idaho handled 21.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/msu-reports-more-campus-crime-than-um-but-some-say/article_e2ca5e40-548e-11e3-b5e4-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UM and University of Colorado at Boulder (Krakauer lives in Boulder) both show, for 2013, a sexual assault rate of 1.1/1,000 female students. Statistically identical.

Pabst is one heck of a good person, lawyer and prosecutor in most people's opinions. For kracker-Krakauer to report she was less than that is pure sham. He also goes on to state he no longer likes football and I can feel for him because if he does not like it good for him.
Krakauer mentions his friend that was "raped" by another friend was the root of his hate for "friendly" rape. I get it. He mentions driving drunk "before MAD" became a cause against it. Good for him.
In the end I think he is a wimpy guy that probably did a vile thing to a young drunk woman during his early years and now thinks he is leading the charge against date friendly rape? OK.

His connection with football players and having sex with women agreed and/or consenting is short of amazing. Painting a football player in such a way leaves out the remainder of us 99% males. What makes us male non-football players such good guys?

Krakauer is full of crap and like Player mentions is afraid. His mention and credit to Florio and the Missoula rag caps it all off.

PlayerRep said:
I think Krakauer is messing with the wrong people in the wrong state. If he's made mistakes in his book, and/or makes some in his interviews, he's going to get a lawsuit or two--in a state where the law, judges and juries don't take kindly to out-of-staters saying untrue things.

I hope the civil suits start flying. There should be plenty. There's a lot of wrongs to be righted in the events of the last three and a half years. With UM being dragged into this, Royce and Co. will, hopefully, get a taste of justice.

UMGriz75 said:
According to the figures, MSU handled 63 forcible sexual assault reports between 2002 and 2012 compared with 59 at Washington State University. UM handled 31 reports while Idaho State handled 25 and the University of Idaho handled 21.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/msu-reports-more-campus-crime-than-um-but-some-say/article_e2ca5e40-548e-11e3-b5e4-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UM and University of Colorado at Boulder (Krakauer lives in Boulder) both show, for 2013, a sexual assault rate of 1.1/1,000 female students. Statistically identical.

This article may only serve to support Krakauer given that you didn't include this portion of the article in your post:

They also may be as simple as a university’s “culture of reporting,” something MSU officials say they’ve worked hard to establish over the past decade. That culture wasn’t always present at UM, some believe, and it ultimately attracted the attention of the Department of Justice.

Krakauer isn't a hack. He is depicted on this forum as a hack because he is exposing this "university" (and I use university VERY loosely) and football program for the stinking pile of shit that it is. I applaud Krakauer. UM deserves all the poor publicity that he can shovel on it.

I like the content but whoever decided to put an iconic picture of UM's campus looming in the rape ridden wasteland that is missoula is a fuking genius! :clap:
635590820521456528-Missoula-Krakauer-cover_zpsuwl0wls9.jpg

MT Head Guy said:
UMGriz75 said:

This article may only serve to support Krakauer given that you didn't include this portion of the article in your post:

They also may be as simple as a university’s “culture of reporting,” something MSU officials say they’ve worked hard to establish over the past decade. That culture wasn’t always present at UM, some believe, and it ultimately attracted the attention of the Department of Justice.

UMgriz75 is typical griz fan douche bag. Cherry picking stats to help save what little face um has left. Misery loves company.

IroneagleXP said:
Krakauer isn't a hack. He is depicted on this forum as a hack because he is exposing this "university" (and I use university VERY loosely) and football program for the stinking pile of shit that it is. I applaud Krakauer. UM deserves all the poor publicity that he can shovel on it.

You can try to tear down our rich tradition and history for I know you are jealous of it, why else are you here. For the lowest preforming College in the BSC you certainly don't want to throw stones. Maybe one day you might understand but probably not, takes a UNIVERSITY to promote education and sports not a small community college.

fanofzoo said:
IroneagleXP said:

You can try to tear down our rich tradition and history for I know you are jealous of it, why else are you here. For the lowest preforming College in the BSC you certainly don't want to throw stones. Maybe one day you might understand but probably not, takes a UNIVERSITY to promote education and sports not a small community college.

2506/iron eagle is a kitty fan. He's just too embarrassed to admit it. Which, frankly, is likely the most intelligent thing he's ever done in his sad, pathetic life.

IroneagleXP said:

Primarily because I doubt I have read such self-serving tripe. And the reporter, oddly, failed to ask anything about it, like "and how do you do that?"

I've been on the MSU campus plenty. In 2004, while setting up an "awareness" program at UM, I checked at several peer institutions to see what they were doing to encourage awareness and reporting for sexual assault. MSU had a couple of pamphlets, which was about the same as most peer institutions. We set up a program far superior, frankly, as it actually engaged students.

The ludicrous explanation is just as stupid as "the reason we have twice as many murders as anyone else is because more people report them." It was likely the most egregiously self-indulgent explanation for having twice as many rapes as could be thought of; in particular because no one at Bozeman seemed to be aware of any "culture of reporting."

Back