• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt discusses the Offense

brewskis

DONOR
Ty had his own thread for the defense so I figured this would wrap it up nicely. Plus it would be nice to see something being discussed other than Krakauer.

I find it interesting that Stitt wasn't impressed with the depth at WR. He even alluded to working some of the true freshmen into the rotation this fall, would be interesting to see how that plays out going into the fall. If he needs the outside receivers like Rooks, bigger ones like Bingham, the quicker guys like Daum or Justin Calhoun.

It is good to see he's happy with the progress at O-line, if there was one position we really needed good news that was it.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041715aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for posting that, brewskis.

Have to wonder if Jeremy Calhoun will get some carries if Counts or Favors isn't healthy come fall.

Agree on the OL - good to hear that Stitt likes what he sees there.

And then there's the receiving "core"... :roll: It may be tough for Stitt to keep Daum and Rooks and Calhoun off the field.

AllWeatherFan said:

Have to wonder if Jeremy Calhoun will get some carries if Counts or Favors isn't healthy come fall.

And then there's the receiving "core"... :roll: It may be tough for Stitt to keep Daum and Rooks and Calhoun off the field.
Several points. First, while I liked the "good side" of his comments about the OL, it is worrisome that he doesn't think we have the kind of two-deep line that's really required by his super-fast offense.
Receivers: The videos of his Mines team don't really let you see the whole field that well ... but I get the impression that most plays have a least one guy running his a** off on a deep pattern. It would make sense that he would want to always have a fresh receiver for that option.

That is some great insight. Here is to hoping a few WR's emerge for depth, the OL continues to improve, and a 2nd QB can emerge before Aug 29. I honestly was not expecting the GRIZ to have found a #1 QB during the spring. I am glad one emerged though. Congratulations to Brady Gustafson for separating himself from the pack. I do hope either Simis, Prater (my preference), or Chalich improve to close the gap between themselves and Gustafson.

I like how complimentary Stitt is of Nguyen and Logwood. However, it would be nice for Counts and/or Favors prove to be just as good or better and earn significant playing time. I am excited to see what Jeremy Calhoun brings to the team as well. His recruiting highlight video was impressive.

Kind of unusual, the play that has me most excited about our QB future was an incomplete pass. The deep pass Gustafson made against a heavy wind in the final spring scrimmage really showed how much arm strength he has. Cannot wait to see Brady and hopefully Prater show off their arm strength under normal weather conditions. Prater does need to learn to throw with touch when needed though. Then again if the WR's develop more quality depth, maybe the touch won't be as big of a deal.

Now the hard part, the wait until practices start again.

AllWeatherFan said:

Don't forget the Penn St transfer Tyler Lucas. He has one year of football left. Gotta make a splash with it!

IdaGriz01 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Several points. First, while I liked the "good side" of his comments about the OL, it is worrisome that he doesn't think we have the kind of two-deep line that's really required by his super-fast offense.
Receivers: The videos of his Mines team don't really let you see the whole field that well ... but I get the impression that most plays have a least one guy running his a** off on a deep pattern. It would make sense that he would want to always have a fresh receiver for that option.

you are correct in that there is a "go" route in every pass play, the reason for so many receivers is that depending on what gus calls at the line it could be the same guy several times in a row,,,,,all receiver positions have this route, ie motion man, slot, wideouts....so that may be why he is concerned about depth....it would seem to me we have more depth at receiver than we have had in a long time....but what do I really know, just my opinion .....

I had expected Josh Horner (TE,WR,IR) to begin to make an impact this spring, but he was seldom mentioned. Anyone know if his story is?

I think if any Calhoun sees the field this year it will be Justin, i think we're set for the year at RB but we may need the receivers.

The depth at O-line is a concern, we may have games where they have 3 good quarters then one weak one. At least until the 2nd crew shapes up.

IdaGriz01 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Lot's of Stitt "Hoping" for things in that interview. Hoping to find a backup QB, better 2nd string receivers, O line depth, players buying in and "getting it", working hard over the Summer, etc.

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.

Lot's of Stitt "Hoping" for things in that interview. Hoping to find a backup QB, better 2nd string receivers, O line depth, players buying in and "getting it", working hard over the Summer, etc.

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.[/quote]

Who says there won't be any Griz "magic" next year? The season hasn't even started. How in the hell does your buddy know this already? Of course you're hoping they'll struggle, look at your screen name. I know plenty of avid, "reasonable" Griz fans that have high expectations for THIS year's Griz. You do realize that last year's Griz went to the quarterfinals, and this year's Griz should be better offensively, better O-line, and perhaps just as good on defense? We kept our best performing coaches and grabbed an innovative head coach/OC, who is a perfectionist, to lead the charge. I think high expectations are pretty "reasonable," and are in line with Stitt's. And in case I'm missing something, Stitt seems very pleased with Brady.

Well said alaskagriz. New coach or not, at worse I expect the GRIZ to make the playoffs. The only exception is major injuries and/or circumstances out of a coaches control, like everything Delaney had to deal with his 1st year. Even that year, I felt the GRIZ should have done slightly better. I would not wish those circumstances on any coach though .

To be honest, with EWU losing Adams and still having a questionable at best Defense, MSU collapsing every November, I expect the GRIZ to be challenging for the conference championship this season, and getting to the quarter finals (final 8 teams) in the playoffs. Some will hang we to dry for those expectations, others will say I/we should expect better. I feel those expectations are realistic and happy median. In a few years, I will likely expect nothing less than a championship, if Stitt is as great as I believe he will be. :thumb:

Alaska Griz said:

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.

Who says there won't be any Griz "magic" next year? The season hasn't even started. How in the hell does your buddy know this already? Of course you're hoping they'll struggle, look at your screen name. I know plenty of avid, "reasonable" Griz fans that have high expectations for THIS year's Griz. You do realize that last year's Griz went to the quarterfinals, and this year's Griz should be better offensively, better O-line, and perhaps just as good on defense? We kept our best performing coaches and grabbed an innovative head coach/OC, who is a perfectionist, to lead the charge. I think high expectations are pretty "reasonable," and are in line with Stitt's. And in case I'm missing something, Stitt seems very pleased with Brady.[/quote]

Unlike a lot of egriz posters, he just realizes the huge challenges going into 2015. A lot of posters here don't understand that installing this new scheme on O is going to take awhile. He needs to get his players in the system, and get all the players already in the system on board with this drastic change. Couple that with your brutal schedule and the quality of some other teams in the Sky and it's going to be a steep uphill battle for you guys. Yes you could make the playoffs, and it's possible that you could even win the Big Sky but I wouldn't put a lot of $$ on that. Lastly, of course he's pleased with Brady, and it sounds like he has grasped the new system much better than any of the other QB's. But don't kid yourself, Stitt would absolutely love to have a QB there now that could process info like Brady, throw well, AND have the ability to run the ball. He'd kill to have Dakota Prulop on that team right now.

Coach Sitt saying (after spring ball) " We're probably going to play some new guys at the receiver position this fall." shouldn't surprise anyone. Because before even that, on signing day in early Feb, he mentioned that some true freshman receivers would probably play, depending on the depth that shows itself or doesn't in spring ball. Spring ball came and went, he said he was disappointed in the depth, and reiterated some true freshman will probably play. No suprise.

Back in Feb, receiver Kobey Eaton, who had an offer from Air Force, even stated in the news that it was his understanding that he would play right away.

Coach Stitt got the job, he evaluated his receivers, and then recruited in 7 pass catchers. :idea:

grizcountry420 said:
I agree poorgriz..

Would you rather he guarantee that we're going to blow the doors off of every team we play? Of course there's a lot of unknowns with a major coaching change and a brand new QB. You two, I swear. :roll:

HookedonGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Don't forget the Penn St transfer Tyler Lucas. He has one year of football left. Gotta make a splash with it!

Can't wait to see this athlete. I think he's going to help (directly and indirectly) win games for the Griz. And because of him, that's one less true freshman that will have to play.

Htowngriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
I agree poorgriz..

Would you rather he guarantee that we're going to blow the doors off of every team we play? Of course there's a lot of unknowns with a major coaching change and a brand new QB. You two, I swear. :roll:

obviously, you have never played the game....

:coffee:

brewskis said:
I think if any Calhoun sees the field this year it will be Justin, i think we're set for the year at RB but we may need the receivers.

The depth at O-line is a concern, we may have games where they have 3 good quarters then one weak one. At least until the 2nd crew shapes up.

While I LOVE Nguyen, Logwood, Counts, and Favors, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jeremy Calhoun play a role too as a true freshman. Coach still called those guys, "really solid". But Jeremy Calhoun is "explosive". And coach Stitt has said in the past that he does not want to wait to play his guys. Will be interesting for sure to see if Jeremy is called upon or not in 2015.

IntuitiveGriz said:
... While I LOVE Nguyen, Logwood, Counts, and Favors, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jeremy Calhoun play a role too as a true freshman. Coach still called those guys, "really solid". But Jeremy Calhoun is "explosive". And coach Stitt has said in the past that he does not want to wait to play his guys. Will be interesting for sure to see if Jeremy is called upon or not in 2015.
Totally off the wall, but it just occurred to me when I read your remark. I don't know about Mines, but even WAY BACK in my day many engineering degrees took five years to complete ... even for non-athletes. There were/are just too many required courses.

Perhaps Stitt is "programmed" to want to get the most (all their eligibility) out of his athletes ASAP -- before they have to make a final push to get their degrees.

Back