• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?

NavyBlue

USU's AD was just hired away By Pitt of the ACC. Scott Barnes no doubt, did more than any USU AD ever has, so he will be hard to replace. I thought it was interesting that a couple of people on the USU board mentioned Kent Haslam, as a possible replacement. What is the general thought of AD Haslam among UM fans?

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he likes UM too much. He's done well in the circumstances. Maybe USU should go after O'Day.

I think Scott Barnes was making a little over a half million a year (worth every penny), I will try to verify. He was also University VP.

I assume he would go to USU in a heartbeat. He attended the Y. Worked in SLC several times, both before and during the Olympics. Don't know where he grew up, but is LDS. Has kids coming into college age and perhaps already there. I assume some of them would like to college in the SLC area. Would be a huge salary increase. Continuing pressure on budget at UM. He probably doesn't want to be around Missoula to see how the new outsider coach he hired, against the wishes of many top UM supporters and former players, starts the season against NDSU, Cal Poly and Liberty. Ha. I think most Griz fans think positively of Haslam. I could be critical but won't.

Pretty sure that he would seriously look at this. Deep roots in Utah. It would be a huge loss for UM.

PlayerRep said:
He probably doesn't want to be around Missoula to see how the new outsider coach he hired, against the wishes of many top UM supporters and former players, starts the season against NDSU, Cal Poly and Liberty.

He made the right decision to hire an outsider. Im glad they didnt hire back one of the "good ole boys".. Bobby Hauck and Jim O'Day created this shit storm over Montana's football program. Fvck those guys!

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
He probably doesn't want to be around Missoula to see how the new outsider coach he hired, against the wishes of many top UM supporters and former players, starts the season against NDSU, Cal Poly and Liberty.

He made the right decision to hire an outsider. Im glad they didnt hire back one of the "good ole boys".. Bobby Hauck and Jim O'Day created this shit storm over Montana's football program. Fvck those guys!

Jim O'Day is a stand-up guy and was great for this program.

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:

He made the right decision to hire an outsider. Im glad they didn't hire back one of the "good ole boys".. Bobby Hauck and Jim O'Day created this shit storm over Montana's football program. Fvck those guys!

No, the shit storm was created by missteps by Engstrom and his failure to exercise proper leadership, Florio and the Missoulian, two big mouth accusers, and now Krakauer. Regarding the sexual assault aspect, the net result is Donaldson and one player (who didn't get a lawyer) expelled. Had Hauck been hired, the rest of the money for the Performance Center would probably be committed by now, and, had Hauck asked for money to cover full-cost stipends, certain donors may have committed for that. I hope Stitt is successful, and successful relatively fast. But if he isn't, Haslam may be running towards Utah, whether he has a job there or not.

Kent Haslam has done a first rate job at Montana. If offered by USU, I will be very surprised if he doesn't accept.

If we are going to lose him now is the time, now that we have Stitt hired and on a contract. If we had lost him 6 months or a year ago THEN we would have really been in trouble.

get'em_griz said:
grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:

Jim O'Day is a stand-up guy and was great for this program.

Agree. JOD is a good guy. :thumb:

The issues in Montana's athletic department are very modest compared to the big schools, and are not new and not directly attributable to guys like Hauck or O'Day or Engstrom. I can think back to a Sports Illustrated article about Michael Ray's summer job, and I can think back to Mornhinweg's test-taking, etc.

Didn't a successful Montana Head Football Coach go to USU ? Didn''t I see dozens of knowledgeable and opinionated eGriz people skewer Griz head coaches for going off to MWC programs like UNLV, Wyoming, and Utah State ? Those Traitors ! Greedy ! Ego maniacs !

But seriously now, Kent has done great work and benefitted UM in his relatively short tenure. If Kent believes that the pay raise and Logan-lifestyle is better: than I thank him and wish him the best.

When Kent was hired, I wasn't excited. Now, I think he represents UM well and I would like to see him stay a few years.That said, it wouldn't hurt us should we decide we would like to schedule Utah State on a regular basis if Kent becomes their AD.

Haslam has done an excellent job as AD. If the pastures appear greener to him in Logan and he is so inclined, best of fortunes to him and his family.

Willie said:
I think he likes UM too much.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let's see; work for Engstrom in Left City or work for anyone else at 3X the salary in home territory. A real tough decision for him if the offer comes.

Spanky said:
When Kent was hired, I wasn't excited. Now, I think he represents UM well and I would like to see him stay a few years.That said, it wouldn't hurt us should we decide we would like to schedule Utah State on a regular basis if Kent becomes their AD.
On a regular basis all at Logan? USU cannot play at an FCS venue.

Back