• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This fan's guess at a post-spring 2-deep depth chart

BWahlberg

DONOR
It’s been a busy few weeks but I wanted to put together my observational depth chart. This is simply based upon what this one fan saw and my own opinions. I caught 6 practices and all 3 scrimmages. Here’s how I feel we’ll see the team emerge for fall camp. Just going 2-deep here.

QB – Brady Gustafson / Eric Prater

Possibly the most “wide open” battle entering spring it appears to be about sewn up. Gus’s adaptation to this offense has been quite the fast process. His ability to improvise and build off the base system in the 3rd scrimmage is a great sign. Simis, Chalich, and Prater battling for depth at this point. Good news is we can RS Pflug as that dude is the future, really excited for him in 2017.

RB – John Nguyen / Lorenzo Logwood

Yes Favors and Counts could make this interesting come fall but both Nguyen and Logwood look ready for this offense. Neither are big “top speed” guys but they’re quick, hard to get a clean hit on, and protected the ball incredibly well the whole spring.

WR1 - Ellis Henderson / Reese Carlson
WR2 - Jamaal Jones / Josh Janssen
WR3 – Chase Naccarato / Caleb Lyons
WR4 – Ryan Burke / Zach Hollenbeck

This list is fluid, we’ve got at least one plus I’m hearing rumor on another transfer coming in, plus our huge freshman class of WRs. What’ll be interesting to see is how the new WRs that arrive impact this list. Stitt wants 8-10 WRs in the rotation, so all 8 of these guys plus also Nico Graham and Josh Horner who also made the roster could remain in the mix. I think the 4 starters of Hendu/Jones/Naccarato/Burke could be fairly locked in. Carlson had a great spring as did Lyons. Hollenbeck was the lone walk-on survivor of the freshman class that was mostly cut the other week. I’m expecting in fall camp we’ll see some movement with this depth chart

T – John Schmaing / Jared Clark
T – David Reese / Jackson Thiebes
G – Max Kelly / Clint LaRowe
G – Devon Dietrich / McCauley Todd
C – Ben Weyer / Robert Luke

There’s still some things up in the air with the O-line. Todd and Kelly appear to be close in the battle for the starting guard job, at this point Kelly holds it though. Also there’s been steady rotation with Reese and Thiebes at tackle as well. Dietrich / Weyer / Schmaing represent the solid veterans and will lead this O-line. Depth is “iffy” – should be interesting to see how they look come fall camp.

DE – Tyrone Holmes / Austin Chadderon
DE – Derek Crittenden / Tucker Schye
DT – Caleb Kidder / Jamaal Wilson
DT – Zach Peevey / Nate Bradley

It’s an interesting comparison of DT to DE. D-end is light on experience, Chadderon is a good speed rusher but rush defense isn’t there just yet. Schye is a converted MLB and looked good but I think some injuries slowed him in the 2nd half of spring. Ryan Johnson also in the mix at DE. Meanwhile DT is breaking in two new starters but Kidder, Peevey, and Bradley will all play a ton. Wilson has looked pretty good and there’s also Kyle Davis and Bo Harris that could contribute.

OLB – Herbert Gamboa / Connor Lebsock
OLB – Kendrick Van Ackeren / Addison Owen
MLB – Jeremiah Kose / Connor Strahm

Some changes to depth but otherwise the starting 3 stay intact. These guys are the heart and soul of the defense and will be relied upon for leadership and motivation this season. While it’s not a flashy bunch of guys our linebackers are hard workers, tough players, and will need to have the best season of their careers this year. Of this group I believe 5 are seniors with only Strahm returning next year. However there’s some emerging talent in the younger ranks. Watch for Buss, Vis, and Thomas to rise up in 2016.

CB – Nate Harris / Ryan McKinley
CB – JR Nelson / Markell Sanders

I would venture that Chris Parker could also be a CB we see a bit as well – him and Garner will probably pull a lot of ST duty. This group should be much more physical than starting groups of CBs we’ve seen in a while. McKinley had an incredible spring and Sanders showed his potential once returning from injury. I expect a lot of rotation. Nelson is one of the fastest guys on the team and has a bit of height to him as well, Harris is the long-time starter but missed most of camp with a bad ankle sprain.

S – Justin Whitted / Manu Rassmussen
S – Jake Dallaserra / Eric Johnson

It will be interesting to see how Whitted fares in fall camp once fully healthy. He missed spring camp as he recovered from a surgery. He’s the one experienced player of the group, he’s got great range, he’s quick, and he can hit hard. Manu Rassmussen is one of the more exciting young players I’ve seen in a long time. He looked ready to start this spring. Dallaserra is a hitter as well, kind of a quiet spring for the senior but I assume his job is safe. Johnson was kind of hot and cold this spring.

K – Dan Sullivan / Chris Lider

Don’t think much happened this spring to jostle up the kicker depth. Honestly I didn’t see a lot of kicking. Greenberg and Lider made their kicks in the 3rd scrimmage. Lider brings the interesting possibility of dual duties as punter as well.

P – Chris Lider / Stephen Shaw

This one is actually a toss-up and could be anyone’s job. Shaw looked to still be recovering from surgery (knee I think) and still has that slower wind-up/kick motion. Lider gets the ball away quicker and had some towering punts. The wind in the 3rd scrimmage wrecked both guys punts or made both look super human. Lider’s ability to do kickoffs might make him a more intriguing pick. A healthy Shaw (and maybe a little lighter too – overheard people wondering if he was an OT in the scrimmage) should make this position battle far more interesting in the fall.

KR – Ellis Henderson / Caleb Lyons
PR – John Nguyen / Ellis Henderson

Roll out the egriz bashers but I thought Nguyen showed the best potential as the PR. Stitt may just opt for Hendu to pull both duties which is just fine as well. Lyons had a few longer returns and I thought I’d mix it up – it very well could be Nguyen who is the other KR as well. It’s pretty obvious when needing a long return and a top-speed guy that Hendu is our man.

BWahlberg said:
It’s been a busy few weeks but I wanted to put together my observational depth chart. This is simply based upon what this one fan saw and my own opinions. I caught 6 practices and all 3 scrimmages. Here’s how I feel we’ll see the team emerge for fall camp. Just going 2-deep here.

QB – Brady Gustafson / Eric Prater

Possibly the most “wide open” battle entering spring it appears to be about sewn up. Gus’s adaptation to this offense has been quite the fast process. His ability to improvise and build off the base system in the 3rd scrimmage is a great sign. Simis, Chalich, and Prater battling for depth at this point. Good news is we can RS Pflug as that dude is the future, really excited for him in 2017.

RB – John Nguyen / Lorenzo Logwood

Yes Favors and Counts could make this interesting come fall but both Nguyen and Logwood look ready for this offense. Neither are big “top speed” guys but they’re quick, hard to get a clean hit on, and protected the ball incredibly well the whole spring.

WR1 - Ellis Henderson / Reese Carlson
WR2 - Jamaal Jones / Josh Janssen
WR3 – Chase Naccarato / Caleb Lyons
WR4 – Ryan Burke / Zach Hollenbeck

This list is fluid, we’ve got at least one plus I’m hearing rumor on another transfer coming in, plus our huge freshman class of WRs. What’ll be interesting to see is how the new WRs that arrive impact this list. Stitt wants 8-10 WRs in the rotation, so all 8 of these guys plus also Nico Graham and Josh Horner who also made the roster could remain in the mix. I think the 4 starters of Hendu/Jones/Naccarato/Burke could be fairly locked in. Carlson had a great spring as did Lyons. Hollenbeck was the lone walk-on survivor of the freshman class that was mostly cut the other week. I’m expecting in fall camp we’ll see some movement with this depth chart

T – John Schmaing / Jared Clark
T – David Reese / Jackson Thiebes
G – Max Kelly / Clint LaRowe
G – Devon Dietrich / McCauley Todd
C – Ben Weyer / Robert Luke

There’s still some things up in the air with the O-line. Todd and Kelly appear to be close in the battle for the starting guard job, at this point Kelly holds it though. Also there’s been steady rotation with Reese and Thiebes at tackle as well. Dietrich / Weyer / Schmaing represent the solid veterans and will lead this O-line. Depth is “iffy” – should be interesting to see how they look come fall camp.

DE – Tyrone Holmes / Austin Chadderon
DE – Derek Crittenden / Tucker Schye
DT – Caleb Kidder / Jamaal Wilson
DT – Zach Peevey / Nate Bradley

It’s an interesting comparison of DT to DE. D-end is light on experience, Chadderon is a good speed rusher but rush defense isn’t there just yet. Schye is a converted MLB and looked good but I think some injuries slowed him in the 2nd half of spring. Ryan Johnson also in the mix at DE. Meanwhile DT is breaking in two new starters but Kidder, Peevey, and Bradley will all play a ton. Wilson has looked pretty good and there’s also Kyle Davis and Bo Harris that could contribute.

OLB – Herbert Gamboa / Shawn Lebsock
OLB – Kendrick Van Ackeren / Addison Owen
MLB – Jeremiah Kose / Connor Strahm

Some changes to depth but otherwise the starting 3 stay intact. These guys are the heart and soul of the defense and will be relied upon for leadership and motivation this season. While it’s not a flashy bunch of guys our linebackers are hard workers, tough players, and will need to have the best season of their careers this year. Of this group I believe 5 are seniors with only Strahm returning next year. However there’s some emerging talent in the younger ranks. Watch for Buss, Vis, and Thomas to rise up in 2016.

CB – Nate Harris / Ryan McKinley
CB – JR Nelson / Markell Sanders

I would venture that Chris Parker could also be a CB we see a bit as well – him and Garner will probably pull a lot of ST duty. This group should be much more physical than starting groups of CBs we’ve seen in a while. McKinley had an incredible spring and Sanders showed his potential once returning from injury. I expect a lot of rotation. Nelson is one of the fastest guys on the team and has a bit of height to him as well, Harris is the long-time starter but missed most of camp with a bad ankle sprain.

S – Justin Whitted / Manu Rassmussen
S – Jake Dallaserra / Eric Johnson

It will be interesting to see how Whitted fares in fall camp once fully healthy. He missed spring camp as he recovered from a surgery. He’s the one experienced player of the group, he’s got great range, he’s quick, and he can hit hard. Manu Rassmussen is one of the more exciting young players I’ve seen in a long time. He looked ready to start this spring. Dallaserra is a hitter as well, kind of a quiet spring for the senior but I assume his job is safe. Johnson was kind of hot and cold this spring.

K – Dan Sullivan / Chris Lider

Don’t think much happened this spring to jostle up the kicker depth. Honestly I didn’t see a lot of kicking. Greenberg and Lider made their kicks in the 3rd scrimmage. Lider brings the interesting possibility of dual duties as punter as well.

P – Chris Lider / Stephen Shaw

This one is actually a toss-up and could be anyone’s job. Shaw looked to still be recovering from surgery (knee I think) and still has that slower wind-up/kick motion. Lider gets the ball away quicker and had some towering punts. The wind in the 3rd scrimmage wrecked both guys punts or made both look super human. Lider’s ability to do kickoffs might make him a more intriguing pick. A healthy Shaw (and maybe a little lighter too – overheard people wondering if he was an OT in the scrimmage) should make this position battle far more interesting in the fall.

Roll out the egriz bashers but I thought Nguyen showed the best potential as the PR. Stitt may just opt for Hendu to pull both duties which is just fine as well. Lyons had a few longer returns and I thought I’d mix it up – it very well could be Nguyen who is the other KR as well. It’s pretty obvious when needing a long return and a top-speed guy that Hendu is our man.
Boy, I wish we still had Shawn.....

Thanks BW. Believe you'll see a handful of the inbound group in the mix, due to talent & depth concerns. The receivers have been the story, and for good reason, but I think it might be that guys like Ena, Sims & Villanueva who get their chances early as well.

Also hopeful that some of the other defenders like the young linebackers you mentioned can make an impact on ST.

Looks right to me.

I wouldn't count Simis out yet but Prater deffenetly has the edge in maturity.

I've loved Logwood since his 1st run from scrimmage last year. Runs hard and hits the whole fast and is strong.

We'll see alot of rotation at the receiver. I think the Calhoun bros will have a defanete say in the depth chart when they get here.

Kelly/Todd better have what it takes. Would love to see Luke get more time at the gaurd unless he's not mobile enough for what Stitt needs.

Still not sure I like the idea if Schye switching to the line but he should see more time on the feild.

BW, what do you think of Rassmussen playing with Whitted in the backfield. Would give us more athleticism back there.

alabamagrizzly said:
Looks right to me.

I wouldn't count Simis out yet but Prater deffenetly has the edge in maturity.

I've loved Logwood since his 1st run from scrimmage last year. Runs hard and hits the whole fast and is strong.

We'll see alot of rotation at the receiver. I think the Calhoun bros will have a defanete say in the depth chart when they get here.

Kelly/Todd better have what it takes. Would love to see Luke get more time at the gaurd unless he's not mobile enough for what Stitt needs.

Still not sure I like the idea if Schye switching to the line but he should see more time on the feild.

BW, what do you think of Rassmussen playing with Whitted in the backfield. Would give us more athleticism back there.

They gave Luke a try at guard and it didn't go well. Kid's a center through and through - at least he seemed to be this whole spring.

Schye could turn into another Wagenmann at DE. Time will tell. Good speed, good strength. Pass defense was his issue at 'Mike and who knows, maybe the coaches moved him because of that as well.

I could see Manu and Whitted going side by side this year. Not to take anything away from Dallaserra but I could certainly see that. On the other hand Whitted has had injury issues, maybe the plan is to platoon the two?

AZGrizFan said:
Lucas at WR?

Brint, you mentioned, "This list is fluid, we’ve got at least one plus I’m hearing rumor on another transfer coming in, plus our huge freshman class of WRs."

Is Tyler Lucas the "atleast one" transfer coming in that you are referring to?

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Lucas at WR?

Brint, you mentioned, "This list is fluid, we’ve got at least one plus I’m hearing rumor on another transfer coming in, plus our huge freshman class of WRs."

Is Tyler Lucas the "atleast one" transfer coming in that you are referring to?

Yup - sure is. He's the confirmed one. Hearing of another as well.

AZGrizFan said:
Lucas at WR?

Haven't seen him play a single snap. No way I'd just insert him into a depth without seeing what he can do - and no I don't mean just off his highlight reel.

IntuitiveGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
WaGriz4life said:
Boy, I wish we still had Shawn.....

There's like... 500 Lebsock kids and they all played for the Griz at some point, c'mon man. haha

And they all have BUTTE blood, there dad is from the Mining City. :cool:

As is Wags, since his birth mother is a Butte girl.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Lucas at WR?

Haven't seen him play a single snap. No way I'd just insert him into a depth without seeing what he can do - and no I don't mean just off his highlight reel.

Lucas is a pretty safe bet to be a big contributor this season. Despite him not practicing as a GRIZ yet, he will be somewhere in that depth chart you listed, barring injury. I already like his desire to be the best by the little I've followed him. He has his eyes on making this 1 year as an opportunity for the NFL. I hear he is pretty committed to a shot at the NFL. Only time will tell how likely that will be, but take that as you'd like. To me, it sounds like that is his motivation to hold himself accountable. :thumb:

thanks b/w for the thread and thought.....I like what im seeing.....exciting time to be a griz fan.....

rocklobster said:
Brint, will Daum and the rest of the freshmen wr redshirt?

I don't think even Stitt could answer that question at this point. Fall camp will answer that question. I would think most if not all will RS, unless they really "get it" in fall camp and coach thinks they are ready.

Your kicker analysis is interesting. No mention of Sullivan. Are you saying you think Lider has passed him up and will be the kicker?

I sure hope not. IMO Sullivan is miles ahead of Lider in the kicking department. Better mechanics and the ball comes off of his foot with more power than it does with Lider.

Brint,

I'm not a Nguyen basher at all, actually really like both of the brothers. My question is, why in the world if you have someone of Henderson's caliber who has the potential to break one at any moment, would you not put him back there. I can remember the days of Heidelberger, Segars, Mariani, sp? etc... If you have a weapon, use him, I will be shocked if Stitt does anything different.

Thanks for all of the write ups, really appreciate everthing.

Stitt's write-up on gogriz.com had LaRowe as the starter at RG and Reese/Schmaing competing for LT. Depth is lacking on the d-line - only six guys with playing time.

Fahque said:
Your kicker analysis is interesting. No mention of Sullivan. Are you saying you think Lider has passed him up and will be the kicker?

I sure hope not. IMO Sullivan is miles ahead of Lider in the kicking department. Better mechanics and the ball comes off of his foot with more power than it does with Lider.

Ummmmmm, he has Sullivan projected as the starter :roll:

Back