• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt Happens in Havre Today

George Ferguson

Stitt, Haslam and crew were in Havre today to talk to Griz fans and boosters. Here's a few key points from what was said. I did an interview as well that will be in tomorrows HDN.

Haslam: Said that the Academic Center is nearing completion. Also talked about the softball team and how they will finish their first season in the Top 20 in all of NCAA in attendance. Finally, talked about the Champions Center. The utilities phase of construction will begin the day after graduation ceremonies. Official groundbreaking will be the week after the last home game.

Stitt: Asked by many about the starting QB. Said Brady is awesome and while the race isn't over, he's closer to the finish line than the rest. Didn't even mention any other QB's except for when I asked about Pflug. He said Willy is an exciting prospect and as a QB, has what he likes. But he said he has LONG way to go from a physicality standpoint. He said Willy had some real rough days during the spring, and there were times when he told himself and the other coaches too ease up on him because "He should be thinking about prom right now, not playing football against a defense as good as ours". He said the best thing about him is they have lots of time to develop him. He said Willy will run the scout team this season.

Was asked about Ellis Henderson. He said there are zero questionmarks about his health and that coaches like Green say he's not back to full strength, but that he's already BETTER physically than he was before he got sick. Said EH IS the punt returner.

Was asked about what the champions center will do for recruiting, and he said actually, the first thing is, the players who are on the team now that will be here when it's done are who he's most excited for because he said they DESERVE better facilities. He said a football-only building will only help to enhance the team chemistry and bond that he's trying to create because he wants his team to spend as much time together as possible. All of them, together, as much as possible. He said they can't trust each other if they don't know each other and that the current facilities don't allow for that because they can't all condition and lift and hang out together at the same time.

He talked about NDSU quite a bit. He said all he's worried about is getting that first three and out on defense against them, and getting that first first down against them. That's all he's worried about and after those things happen, he'll go from there. He said he's extremely methodical and old school and refuses to look ahead.

He also talked about the tradition and culture at Montana. He told the players he doesn't want to change things but he does want to get back to Montana the way he first saw them when he was at Northern Colorado, and that was a team where 9-5 or just winning a Big Sky title wasn't anywhere good enough. Referenced last season and said how some players said "last year was a good season". He said that's fine, but now 9-5 isn't good enough anymore. He said the bar is, and has to be set much, much higher.

That's the nuts and bolts of the afternoon.

havgrizfan said:
Stitt, Haslam and crew were in Havre today to talk to Griz fans and boosters. Here's a few key points from what was said. I did an interview as well that will be in tomorrows HDN.

Was asked about Ellis Henderson. He said there are zero questionmarks about his health and that coaches like Green say he's not back to full strength, but that he's already BETTER physically than he was before he got sick. Said EH IS the punt returner.

That should make plenty of folks around here happy...

Two key things Stitt also said that I forgot to mention above: 1. He said EH does have work to do to be eligible in August. He also said that he really hopes Counts can come back, and that Counts told him in the exit interview that he's going back to his doctor in Texas after school is over to do more rehab and PT.

I like his comment on setting high standards and I hope he means academically as well as sports-wise. I'm an educator. I always say to students: "nobody rises to a low bar."

Can't wait.

havgrizfan said:
He said Willy is an exciting prospect and as a QB, has what he likes. But he said he has LONG way to go from a physicality standpoint. He said Willy had some real rough days during the spring, and there were times when he told himself and the other coaches too ease up on him because "He should be thinking about prom right now, not playing football against a defense as good as ours". He said the best thing about him is they have lots of time to develop him. He said Willy will run the scout team this season.

I truly hope it wasn't WILLY who was conveying this message.... :? :? :?

havgrizfan said:
He said Willy is an exciting prospect and as a QB, has what he likes. But he said he has LONG way to go from a physicality standpoint. He said Willy had some real rough days during the spring, and there were times when he told himself and the other coaches too ease up on him because "He should be thinking about prom right now, not playing football against a defense as good as ours". He said the best thing about him is they have lots of time to develop him. He said Willy will run the scout team this season.

Thanks for your whole post, havgrizfan. :thumb: :clap:

This snipit of it stood out to me, as I knew Willy was not going to come into UM as a potential starter or backup like some Egriz predicted.

It is a GIANT leap from hs to Div 1. :egriz:

Thanks HGF. Do I understand correctly that construction on Champions Center starts at the end of school? How about paying for the project, any mention of the status of the fund raising?

Thanks again.

Dan, Greg and Kent stopped by our Town Pump project today after the luncheon at Tilleman Motors and I had a nice visit with them. Headed for Glasgow tonight and Sidney tomorrow. Good people.

Hammer said:
Dan, Greg and Kent stopped by our Town Pump project today after the luncheon at Tilleman Motors and I had a nice visit with them. Headed for Glasgow tonight and Sidney tomorrow. Good people.

The Town Pump is turning out pretty damn nice Hammer. Well Done :thumb:

biga75 said:
Hammer said:

Michael John Tilleman. Griz legend. Sounds like a perfect day.

biga75 said:
Hammer said:

Thanks. Its actually TCCGRIZ's project, but somehow he talked me into going to Havre to give him a hand LOL!!!!

havgrizfan said:

Haslam: Said that the Academic Center is nearing completion. Also talked about the softball team and how they will finish their first season in the Top 20 in all of NCAA in attendance. Finally, talked about the Champions Center. The utilities phase of construction will begin the day after graduation ceremonies. Official groundbreaking will be the week after the last home game.

Stitt: Asked by many about the starting QB. Said Brady is awesome and while the race isn't over, he's closer to the finish line than the rest. Didn't even mention any other QB's except for when I asked about Pflug. He said Willy is an exciting prospect and as a QB, has what he likes. But he said he has LONG way to go from a physicality standpoint. He said Willy had some real rough days during the spring, and there were times when he told himself and the other coaches too ease up on him because "He should be thinking about prom right now, not playing football against a defense as good as ours". He said the best thing about him is they have lots of time to develop him. He said Willy will run the scout team this season.

Was asked about what the champions center will do for recruiting, and he said actually, the first thing is, the players who are on the team now that will be here when it's done are who he's most excited for because he said they DESERVE better facilities. He said a football-only building will only help to enhance the team chemistry and bond that he's trying to create because he wants his team to spend as much time together as possible. All of them, together, as much as possible. He said they can't trust each other if they don't know each other and that the current facilities don't allow for that because they can't all condition and lift and hang out together at the same time.

He talked about NDSU quite a bit. He said all he's worried about is getting that first three and out on defense against them, and getting that first first down against them. That's all he's worried about and after those things happen, he'll go from there. He said he's extremely methodical and old school and refuses to look ahead.

He also talked about the tradition and culture at Montana. He told the players he doesn't want to change things but he does want to get back to Montana the way he first saw them when he was at Northern Colorado, and that was a team where 9-5 or just winning a Big Sky title wasn't anywhere good enough. Referenced last season and said how some players said "last year was a good season". He said that's fine, but now 9-5 isn't good enough anymore. He said the bar is, and has to be set much, much higher.

Old school or new school, no credible coach looks past NDSU. Stitt may want to look past the
first series though...

havgrizfan said:

Old school or new school, no credible coach looks past NDSU. It might be prudent for Stitt to look past the first series and first down though...

CV Griz Fan said:
havgrizfan said:

Old school or new school, no credible coach looks past NDSU. It might be prudent for Stitt to look past the first series and first down though...

Where did it say Stitt was looking "past" NDSU? Reading comprehension problem??

Hammer said:
CV Griz Fan said:
havgrizfan said:

He said he is "old school" and doesn't look past anybody including NDSU. My comment is what credible coach would look past NDSU? Kinda goes without saying no? Coach speak. Nothing to see here.......

CV Griz Fan said:
Hammer said:
CV Griz Fan said:
havgrizfan said:

He said he is "old school" and doesn't look past anybody including NDSU. My comment is what credible coach would look past NDSU? Kinda goes without saying no? Coach speak. Nothing to see here.......

"past" is your word, not his. You interpret his statement way different than I do. So be it.

I think we are gonna find that there's a little BH in him. The way he talks about getting a three-and-out and a first down on our first defensive and offensive possessions, respectively, sounds a lot like BH's halftime adjustment mentality. Stitt wants to set the tone and grab momentum right away.

Kent did speak to athletic fundraising. He said it's at an all-time high right now. He said the Academic Center will eventually be named for the person who gifted them $1 million to start the project, but that the naming won't happen for a couple of years and then will be low key because that's how the donor wanted it.

Yes, he said the Champions Center will have an official groundbreaking after the 2015 season is in the books. But construction will begin as the day after graduation is over. He said they have to literally take apart a portion of the corner of SEZ in order to allow NW Energy and whoever else to come in and do all of the utility work that has to be done there. Ironically, he said that it was Tilleman's private box that has to be literally removed in order for that work to be done, but that everything would then be put back together in time for the NDSU game.

Off the record, I asked Kent about a night game this season, and he said he doesn't know which game will be at night, but that one of the non Root TV games will be at night as long as the road team agrees to it. I actually asked him if that's how it usually works and he said no. Most schools dictate to the Griz whether a game is at night or not, but he then said he likes to be as accomodating as he can be when the Griz host. But he said he doesn't see any reason why there won't be one night game this season.

Back