• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All but one conference profitable after CFP playoff

MrTitleist

Staff member
All but one conference made money from the new CFP format. MW the big winner.

https://collegeathleticsclips.com/news/collegefootballplayoffrevenuemadeeveryconferencericherexceptone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since it's the offseason, we haven't had a good move-up thread in a couple of weeks.

Great find, thanks for posting. Imagine how much more $$$ will be generated when the playoff moves to 8 teams, and possibly 16 teams. Granted, that will take more time than most of us would like. BCS football would be foolish not to expand the playoffs. I don't watch many of the bowl games. I would watch every bowl game that was part of an expanded playoff system.

As for the GRIZ and moving up. seeing this sure makes me wish the GRIZ had the foresight to do this years ago, like Boise State did.

Wait!!!! WHAT?!?!?! We've been told all along by those "in the know" (cough, cough) that there's no additional revenue at the FBS level. Certainly those people can't be wrong! They know everything. Just ask em.

Damn. If Boise would just move to a Big 5 like they should......

mtgrizrule........I agree with you. It seems that there are too many people with a can't do attitude.

WaitingForAcquisition-resized-600.gif

Nice money for MW. More than expected. See below quote from the MW commissioner a year ago. Also see his quote that an extra million doesn't go very far. And his quote saying MW isn't looking for more teams, and 12 teams is the preferred format. Note that annual money would decline if Boise didn't get into a big bowl. Didn't the MW tv network fold?

The extra $20 million divided by 12 teams is $1.67 million. Does Boise get a larger share, so the others get less? $1.67 million is great money, and it certainly helps, but it sure doesn't cover all of the additional expenses of trying to keep up with the big conferences.

"Thompson expects the Mountain West revenue to increase by about $10 million to $12 million in 2014-15 with the new College Football Playoff. The minimum payout for the five smaller conferences is $12 million. The maximum is about $18 million. And the conference that places its champion in one of the playoff bowls gets another $6 million. The windfall could help the Mountain West fund improved student-athlete benefits. “It can,” Thompson said. “I’m sure they’ve spent that (money) four times. You divide $12 million by 12 football institutions — everybody gets an extra million dollars and that’s gone overnight. But it helps.”

"On realignment: “I can speculate that most memberships are pretty set because of their long-term TV contracts. We’re not talking (to schools). This was the first year of 12 teams and two divisions and playing a conference championship game. We’re starting to settle in. Everything we have done in future scheduling is based on 12 teams and eight conference games.”

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/05/09/3177327/mountain-west-commish-on-competing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverettGriz said:
Wait!!!! WHAT?!?!?! We've been told all along by those "in the know" (cough, cough) that there's no additional revenue at the FBS level. Certainly those people can't be wrong! They know everything. Just ask em.

Are you saying that an extra $1.67 million in one year would cover the $5 million per year of operating expenses (in a study done 4 or 5 years ago, when expenses were lower), plus additional and upgraded facilities, that it would cost to move up? Your math has always been a problem.

PlayerRep said:
Nice money for MW. More than expected. See below quote from the MW commissioner a year ago. Also see his quote that an extra million doesn't go very far. And his quote saying MW isn't looking for more teams, and 12 teams is the preferred format. Note that annual money would decline if Boise didn't get into a big bowl. Didn't the MW tv network fold?

The extra $20 million divided by 12 teams is $1.67 million. Does Boise get a larger share, so the others get less? $1.67 million is great money, and it certainly helps, but it sure doesn't cover all of the additional expenses of trying to keep up with the big conferences.
"Thompson expects the Mountain West revenue to increase by about $10 million to $12 million in 2014-15 with the new College Football Playoff. The minimum payout for the five smaller conferences is $12 million. The maximum is about $18 million. And the conference that places its champion in one of the playoff bowls gets another $6 million. The windfall could help the Mountain West fund improved student-athlete benefits. “It can,” Thompson said. “I’m sure they’ve spent that (money) four times. You divide $12 million by 12 football institutions — everybody gets an extra million dollars and that’s gone overnight. But it helps.”

"On realignment: “I can speculate that most memberships are pretty set because of their long-term TV contracts. We’re not talking (to schools). This was the first year of 12 teams and two divisions and playing a conference championship game. We’re starting to settle in. Everything we have done in future scheduling is based on 12 teams and eight conference games.”

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/05/09/3177327/mountain-west-commish-on-competing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there any of the "little 5" conferences that are advocating trying to "keep up" with the Big 5?

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Are you saying that an extra $1.67 million in one year would cover the $5 million per year of operating expenses (in a study done 4 or 5 years ago, when expenses were lower), plus additional and upgraded facilities, that it would cost to move up? Your math has always been a problem.

I'd say we've already got the upgraded facilities that are coming in the next few years covered.

Player makes very good points regarding finances and has done considerable research in this area.
I keep thinking that if there is a will, there is a way, however, there may not be a will.

I'm pretty sure USU gets more than $1.67 million from being the MWC. I will pose that question to the board over there to see if anyone can tell me what the OVERALL value to being a MWC member is.

EDIT: I see that is $1.67 million MORE than we were getting, but I am still curious to see how much TOTAL we are getting.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Are there any of the "little 5" conferences that are advocating trying to "keep up" with the Big 5?

I think all of the little 5 are trying to keep up in some respects. Cost of attendance stipends, for example. And isn't the MW sort of trying to keep close or get close to the Pac-12?

NavyBlue said:
I'm pretty sure USU gets more than $1.67 million from being the MWC. I will pose that question to the board over there to see if anyone can tell me what the OVERALL value to being a MWC member is.

EDIT: I see that is $1.67 million MORE than we were getting, but I am still curious to see how much TOTAL we are getting.

Doesn't the initial linked article answer that question?

Spanky said:
Player makes very good points regarding finances and has done considerable research in this area.
I keep thinking that if there is a will, there is a way, however, there may not be a will.

In terms of finances and other things, the MW would be attractive. I can't see UM getting an invite from the MW anytime soon. Also, why would the MW want to dilute their monetary interests for UM. I suppose a slot could open up sometime, but BYU or others might be more likely to fill a slot. Even with an invite from the MW, I would still see attractive things about the Big Sky (assuming it and FCS were still fairly strong), but the MW would obviously be way more attractive and appealing than the lesser conferences. At this point, I have my doubts that UM could be very competitive in the MW. As I said in the past, I would support an invite to the PAC-12. See, I can be as unrealistic as some of the move up crowd.

get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

I'd say we've already got the upgraded facilities that are coming in the next few years covered.

Yes, good progress on facilities, but what about facilities for other new sports, an indoor practice facility, upgrades to or expansion of football stadium, etc.? Indoor practice facilities are very helpful for northern tier/cold weather schools. Also, UM's recent fund-raising for facilities has probably tapped out a number of the bigger donors, and not hiring Hauck has probably cut off a few funding sources, at least for awhile.

PlayerRep said:
At this point, I have my doubts that UM could be very competitive in the MW. As I said in the past, I would support an invite to the PAC-12. See, I can be as unrealistic as some of the move up crowd.

Why settle to be the doormat of the MWC, when UM could be the doormat of the PAC 12? If you are going to dream, dream big.

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Yes, good progress on facilities, but what about facilities for other new sports, an indoor practice facility, upgrades to or expansion of football stadium, etc.? Indoor practice facilities are very helpful for northern tier/cold weather schools. Also, UM's recent fund-raising for facilities has probably tapped out a number of the bigger donors, and not hiring Hauck has probably cut off a few funding sources, at least for awhile.

We just built a brand new women's softball facility. We will very soon have a world-class academic center. We are a go for the world-class locker rooms, weight rooms and training rooms. I have it on very good authority that the next thing in the hopper is an indoor practice facility.

Why would we need to add onto the stadium? We'd be middle of the pack in attendance ALREADY in the MWC.

2013:

Fresno St: 36,917
Boise St: 34,366
San Diego St: 33,224
Air Force: 32,652
Hawaii: 30,989
Montana: 25,552 (Regular Season)
Nevada: 24,939
New Mexico: 23,537
Utah St: 23,263
Wyoming: 19,476
Colorado St: 18,600
UNLV: 17,212
San Jose St: 16,362

And not hiring Hauck opened up my pocket book. I'm sure there are other much bigger donors than me who felt the same.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky said:

In terms of finances and other things, the MW would be attractive. I can't see UM getting an invite from the MW anytime soon. Also, why would the MW want to dilute their monetary interests for UM. I suppose a slot could open up sometime, but BYU or others might be more likely to fill a slot. Even with an invite from the MW, I would still see attractive things about the Big Sky (assuming it and FCS were still fairly strong), but the MW would obviously be way more attractive and appealing than the lesser conferences. At this point, I have my doubts that UM could be very competitive in the MW. As I said in the past, I would support an invite to the PAC-12. See, I can be as unrealistic as some of the move up crowd.

Most people who follow and care about the Mountain West would be happy to dump San Jose State in favor of just about literally anyone else.

Back