• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Unencrypted Griz Satellite Question

PhxGriz

DONOR
Just changed my service from Dish and I now have a dish mounted without a receiver.

Can I just buy a new receiver and align the dish to get Griz games?

PhxGriz said:
Just changed my service from Dish and I now have a dish mounted without a receiver.

Short answer: Almost certainly no.

Long answer: While both Dish (and DirecTV) and free-to-air (FTA) downlinks are all in the KU band, Dish and DirecTV opt for a really strong signal and satellites that are stationary (as far as those of us on the ground are concerned), so these services can get away with using relatively small, immovable dishes.

Most KU downlinks, including all of those involving Griz games, are much weaker signals, so they require larger dishes. Additionally, the broadcasters are not limited to a single satellite. If they can get a better deal on a different satellite they'll move the next broadcast to the other satellite. Thus, you have to have a dish you can move to track the arc of the satellite band (where the satellites live, in geosynchronous orbit, usually about 2 degrees separated from each other) to find games. So you need a motorized dish.

CrunchGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

Long answer: While both Dish (and DirecTV) and free-to-air (FTA) downlinks are all in the KU band, Dish and DirecTV opt for a really strong signal and satellites that are stationary (as far as those of us on the ground are concerned), so these services can get away with using relatively small, immovable dishes.

Most KU downlinks, including all of those involving Griz games, are much weaker signals, so they require larger dishes. Additionally, the broadcasters are not limited to a single satellite. If they can get a better deal on a different satellite they'll move the next broadcast to the other satellite. Thus, you have to have a dish you can move to track the arc of the satellite band (where the satellites live, in geosynchronous orbit, usually about 2 degrees separated from each other) to find games. So you need a motorized dish.

Cool, thank you for the informative reply. I have no problem buying a larger motorized dish.

Wasn't sure, but i knew someone on here would know.

What size dish would you recommend?

PhxGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

Cool, thank you for the informative reply. I have no problem buying a larger motorized dish.

So size does matter??? Damn it! I hate being lied to, but I am used to it. Just so you guys are aware, if you tell her in metric it sounds way more impressive.

Can we get the feed from the Root broadcast with the appropriate dish?

Typically the other games are available online via either ESPSN or BigSky TV

Griz!ron said:
Can we get the feed from the Root broadcast with the appropriate dish?

Typically the other games are available online via either ESPSN or BigSky TV

Root games--No. Encrypted.

BigSky TV games--pretty much always yes, and much more reliable than BigSkyTV.

ESPN games--No, but they're more infrequent than we'd like. ;)

PhxGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

I have a 3 meter dish but not everyone wants a behemoth like that. I have been told the 30 centimeter dish will work. The signal it receives will be weaker and maybe more susceptible to poor atmospheric conditions (like rain or snow) but from your alias I am guessing you live in Phoenix and so those would be almost a non-issue.

Grisly Fan said:
PhxGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

I have a 3 meter dish but not everyone wants a behemoth like that. I have been told the 30 centimeter dish will work. The signal it receives will be weaker and maybe more susceptible to poor atmospheric conditions (like rain or snow) but from your alias I am guessing you live in Phoenix and so those would be almost a non-issue.

As GF notes, being in Phoenix helps (less weather issues, slightly closer to the signals), but I'd never heard that a 30 cm dish could bring in the signals. That's only about a foot wide, so you'd need to be really adept at aiming to be successful. I think most of the commercial (Dish, DirecTV) satellite dishes are much larger than this, anyway. And you'd still need to be able to track multiple satellites to be on the safe side. My dish is a one-meter dish, FWIW.

CrunchGriz said:
Grisly Fan said:
PhxGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:

As GF notes, being in Phoenix helps (less weather issues, slightly closer to the signals), but I'd never heard that a 30 cm dish could bring in the signals. That's only about a foot wide, so you'd need to be really adept at aiming to be successful. I think most of the commercial (Dish, DirecTV) satellite dishes are much larger than this, anyway. And you'd still need to be able to track multiple satellites to be on the safe side. My dish is a one-meter dish, FWIW.
Yeah, oops, I meant 100 cm or 1 M. Not sure where 30 came from. The "fog of brain" I guess.

Latest posts

Back