• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Which Qualities Are Most Important For A QB?

Atlanta Griz1

I would be interested in reading what other posters think about the most important qualities for a QB to posses, to be a great QB. Please rank these qualities in order of importance, in your opinion, with #1 being the most important, etc. Here are my rankings.

1) accuracy
2) intelligence
3) leadership
4) running/scrambling ability
5) ability to pass accurately while moving
6) touch on shorter routes
7) arm strength

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I would be interested in reading what other posters think about the most important qualities for a QB to posses, to be a great QB. Please rank these qualities in order of importance, in your opinion, with #1 being the most important, etc. Here are my rankings.

1) accuracy
2) intelligence
3) leadership
7) arm strength

Great subject. There really is not definitive answer for this being more needs defined. The qualities will vary in importance from coach to coach, system to system, etc. Also coach Stitt is known to be an offensive mind who is likely to adjust his offensive schemes based on his offensive talent and opponents. Meaning, unlike some coaches (Delaney for example) who try to fit square pegs in rounds holes, or round pegs in square holes, and force an offense on their players, Stitt will be versatile with his game plans. How long did it take Delaney to finally spread things out to best utilize JJ and the offensive personnel? It took until the last month of Delaney's final season!!!! Also Stitt in time will give his QB's options to audible. Every play apparently is open to audibles presnap and during play. Stitt's qb's will have much more freedom to react to what is really happening on the field.

Based on what Stitt has said, and/or hinted here are the qualities I feel most important to Stitt. Again these things may change from game to game.
(1) Intelligence
(2) Quick decision making
(3) Leadership
(4) Pass accuracy/ability to make all the throws consistently
(5) Discipline
(6) Proper pocket mechanics/footwork (not running ability), which Stitt explained well at the recruiting banquet. Stitt talked about that for a good 5 minutes, and could have went forever breaking things down.
(7) Arm Strength
(8) Running ability outside of the pocket.

The top 6 on my list, I feel are crucial qualities with Coach Stitt. Meanwhile 7 and 8 are nice luxuries, but not must haves. In other systems, Quick decision making would be a lower quality. Quick decision making was a very low priority in Delaney's offense. I feel most coaches will rate Intelligence, leadership, discipline, and accuracy as a consistent top 4 and interchangeable depending on coach and system. Leadership is the hardest trait to find. Otherwise the likes of Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Russell (the LSU QB drafted by the Raiders), Todd Marinovich, name your all time bust QB's here, etc would be all time greats.

As for this GRIZ fan, it is a nice refreshing feeling to know the GRIZ head coach is diverse with making on the fly offensive adjustments. That alone will be a huge change for GRIZ NATION to get used to. I really am not as concerned as I thought I would be with a new coach, qb, and offensive system. Will there be growing pains? Hell yes. I feel the growing pains will not last as long as it took with prior GRIZ head coaches and QB's.

CV Griz Fan said:
Gotta include toughness and a quick release somewhere on that list.....

I thought of those 2 things as well. I really did not pick up on those things listening to Stitt so far. I do feel quick release in Stitt's system is a combination of quick decision making and in pocket mechanics. As for toughness, that is a hard trait to define, considering there is mental and physical toughness. I 100% know and feel JJ had toughness. :thumb:

I have not seen any of Stitt's offense, and did not attend the spring scrimmages. But from what I have read, I think that many of the passes in his offense require the QB to pass on the move, rather than in the pocket. Am I correct? If so, then Gus's problem with accuracy when passing on the move could be a problem.

I still love what Simis brings, with his mobility, ability to run, and athleticism. I can not believe that he has accuracy problems, from what I heard about him as a high school QB.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I have not seen any of Stitt's offense, and did not attend the spring scrimmages. But from what I have read, I think that many of the passes in his offense require the QB to pass on the move, rather than in the pocket. Am I correct? If so, then Gus's problem with accuracy when passing on the move could be a problem.

I still love what Simis brings, with his mobility, ability to run, and athleticism. I can not believe that he has accuracy problems, from what I heard about him as a high school QB.

Where have you read/seen that Gus has problems with accuracy when passing on the move?

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Where have you read/seen that Gus has problems with accuracy when passing on the move?

Sure didn't have any issues in Helena spring game!

Atlanta Griz1 said:

1) accuracy
2) intelligence
3) leadership
7) arm strength

Check out http://www.aol.co.uk/video/boomer-top-5-quarterbacks-under-30-518841198 Thinking about what Boomer says I'd say 7 (arm strength) and 1 (accuracy) are equal. 5 (ability to pass accurately while moving) seems like part of that package. While I love a QB who can scramble, 4 (running/scrambling ability seems to depend a lot on what other weapons you've got and your offensive scheme.) However, think about Boomer's #1 and #2 (Luck and Wilson) - intelligence really counts. He obviously likes leaders and so do I. so, I'd say.....

1/7/5
2 (doesn't matter if you're smart if you can't throw)

My .02

If you don't have running ability aren't you making the defense work less. If you aren't a threat then the defense has less to worry about.

AllWeatherFan said:
1. Swagger
2. DOLA
3. From a good family.
4. Fire

5. From Montana
6. Not from Montana
7. Good skill set
8. Pac-12 hips
9. Has played the game before
10. Responds well to egriz criticism
11. Gritty
12. Educated
13. Full of piss and vinegar
14. Plays with his hair on fire (not literally... maybe)
15. From Butte
16. Plays Madden on the "All-Madden" difficulty level
17. Has a Nissan Murano with good snow tires

BWahlberg said:
AllWeatherFan said:
1. Swagger
2. DOLA
3. From a good family.
4. Fire

5. From Montana
6. Not from Montana
7. Good skill set
8. Pac-12 hips
9. Has played the game before
10. Responds well to egriz criticism
11. Gritty
12. Educated
13. Full of piss and vinegar
14. Plays with his hair on fire (not literally... maybe)
15. From Butte
16. Plays Madden on the "All-Madden" difficulty level
17. Has a Nissan Murano with good snow tires

Ideally the ability to be "best in space"

Decision making.

The poster boy for bad decision making is Jay Cutler.

Cue bull Durham. "You've got a million dollar arm and a ten cent head."

Back