• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Discussion: Wide Receiver

BWahlberg

DONOR
It’s been one of the busier summers of my career and I’ve fallen way behind on position discussions. We’ve got 1 spot left on offense, a topic of a lot of debate – wide receiver. Let’s get this discussion going! Being that there’s a heavy rotation of WR’s I’m going to list 4 starters and 4 backups. Based on what we’ve heard time and time again Stitt intends to use around 8 WRs per game. Considering the fullback and tight end position is gone our starting roster should regularly list 4 starting WRs.

Starting 4
Jamaal Jones
Ellis Henderson
Chase Naccarato
Josh Janssen

Backups
Ryan Burke
Reese Carlson
Caleb Lyons
Tyler Lucas

Depth
Zach Hollenbeck
Nico Graham
Josh Horner

Massive Group of incoming freshman
Keenan Curran
Holden Ryan
Justin Calhoun
Dalton Daum
Kobey Eaton
Jerry Louie-McGee
Donovan Rooks
Colin Bingham

--------------

While it’ll be a moving and rotating group our starting 4 could be one of the more formidable group of WR’s to defend in the Big Sky. It does come with some question marks and unknowns though. Ellis Henderson is back after having to leave last season for medical reasons, also there’s some academic rumors swirling. Naccarato has had bad luck with injury issues and is returning after missing practically a whole season. Jamaal Jones is the steady work-horse that’s been very reliable the last two seasons and while he’s had the occasional issue with drops he’s improved each of the last two years. The 4th spot I had a hard time picking between Janssen and Burke – both of whom I think will be major contributors. Assuming this group is intact you’ve got the “old pro” and legit #1 WR in Jones, the game-breaker and freak athlete in Hendu, the speed of Naccarato, and the great hands and zone-breaking skill of Janssen (or Burke). That’s about as good of a group as you can surround Gus with to be honest.

The backups are maybe just that in title, as we know they’re going to get a lot of time as well. I think of this group Burke and Carlson are locked in. Lyons had a great spring and survived the wave of cuts but he’ll have to fight off competition from the incoming freshman. Lucas as a senior I’m just going to assume is a guy they’ll use – even though I haven’t seen him practice with the team it’s hard to imagine he won’t get a chance. The depth beyond with guys from the spring roster are mostly guys that probably just have to put in their time for now and wait for some graduations to get their chance to play on Saturdays.

Then there’s all these freshman. Stitt’s obviously going to play the guys he thinks will make this team better. We’re enamored with Daum, Calhoun, and Ryan – could one of these guys (or another) make a big enough splash to get plugged in right away? One would think they have a chance, we’ll get to see it unfold as fall camp gets going. I’m really not one of these “red shirt them all” kind of guys anymore – if the guy is a better fit and will get the job done then he should be playing.

What honestly worries me is some of the unknown that will be naturally swirling with the health/academics of Hendu and the health of Naccarato. While I’m sure the coaches are prepared if those two are slowed down (or out) that really jumbles up the roster. On the other hand that will most certainly open the roster for at least 1 or 2 incoming freshman to play right away. There’s also the question of if Lucas can perform and if some of these depth guys or true freshman will be able to pick things up and take an increased role right away. Add in the mix that we’ve got a new QB and there’s going to be a lot of adjustment!

What I like about this whole group is that it’s top-heavy with experienced WRs that should help the adjustment go through. Jones, Hendu, Naccarato, Burke, and Janssen – as well as the transfer Lucas – all have good experience and playing time from prior years. That really helps that we’re not throwing a ton of 18 or 19 year old underclassmen out there and expecting them all to be the main producers in the offense. There’s a good mix of height and speed with these guys as well and a couple that seem to rotate around and play all positions across the field. Additionally some of our guys in this grouping are excellent blockers (Janssen, Burke, and Jones have stood out to me). While that may seem silly in a pass-happy offense think about the screens, draw plays, quick passes, and even yes the fly sweep – they’ll turn into bigger gains with better blocking.

The WR group should have the most amount of excitement around it. I’m anxious to see how all of the new guys fit in and who emerges for the NDSU game. Should be a fun one to watch unfold!

I believe Keenan Curran is a redshirt freshman, so he could possibly be in the mix right away. Although since he's switching from DB to WR that does seem unlikely.

I really think we need Naccarato and Lyons to step up and be productive right away. This offense sounds like it relies a lot on bubble screens and the fly sweep being effective. Drops will be the kiss of death with Stitt, everyone needs to bring their A-game.

brewskis said:
I believe Keenan Curran is a redshirt freshman, so he could possibly be in the mix right away. Although since he's switching from DB to WR that does seem unlikely.

I really think we need Naccarato and Lyons to step up and be productive right away. This offense sounds like it relies a lot on bubble screens and the fly sweep being effective. Drops will be the kiss of death with Stitt, everyone needs to bring their A-game.

Agreed on Naccarato and Lyons - need those quick slot WRs to really step up. And yeah for the drops I think there were some comments about that with the spring cuts - right?

Beyond Henderson and Jones the depth is hard to predict, in this case a great luxury to have. I have a feeling, Stitt's rotations will vary from game to game, depending on what each brings to the table. I expect Ryan Burke to put up some solid #'s. As the season progresses, Tyler Lucas will become a bigger part of the offense. It might take him awhile to adjust. Come November, he will be making an impact, and be a player to be planned for.

Why do I like these 2 to emerge? They have size, solid speed, versatility, and are red zone weapons Also consider each have QB experience, and can be used for trick plays more than other WR's can be. I liked the few trick plays Delaney called with Burke last season. I believe Stitt's reputation as a play caller and offensive guru will prove more beneficial for these 2. Meanwhile, I feel it is very possible either Nacarato or Daum to emerge as KR/PR to reduce the workload on Jones and Henderson in that area.

Josh Horner is an interesting player too. How will he be after a year off the game? Like Lucas and Burke, he has great size. How'd you like to defend the redzone with Henderson, Jones, Lucas, Burke, and Horner in 5 WR sets? There is no way for any BSC team to defend that kind of size consistently. I am hoping Horner proves to be a solid contributor this season. It would be nice to have the luxury of redshirting as many of the FR WR's as possible.

Either way, the talent and potential of this group is as intriguing and enticing as any group on this team. What will Still do with these guys. The biggest question is, "Can Gustafson fully utilize his weapons, without a huge learning curve?" More accurately, "How long will it take him to know them, have confidence in them, and find consistency with unit?" GRIZ fans are hoping for "sooner than later".

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
This thread needs to be locked before anyone can have on opinion.

#newamerica

I guess a mod pissed in his alcohol this morning. :thumb:

I was going to say cereal, but Alpha does not strike me as a cereal eater.

The mods are always fuckheads on here, they attack posters then lock threads they disagree with.

Its fu*king sad that all they have in their life is the power to quiet posters that they disagree with and dislike.

Oh well they cant do that face to face and thats why they hide behind a keyboard.

mtgrizrule said:
Beyond Henderson and Jones the depth is hard to predict, in this case a great luxury to have. I have a feeling, Stitt's rotations will vary from game to game, depending on what each brings to the table. I expect Ryan Burke to put up some solid #'s. As the season progresses, Tyler Lucas will become a bigger part of the offense. It might take him awhile to adjust. Come November, he will be making an impact, and be a player to be planned for.

Why do I like these 2 to emerge? They have size, solid speed, versatility, and are red zone weapons Also consider each have QB experience, and can be used for trick plays more than other WR's can be. I liked the few trick plays Delaney called with Burke last season. I believe Stitt's reputation as a play caller and offensive guru will prove more beneficial for these 2. Meanwhile, I feel it is very possible either Nacarato or Daum to emerge as KR/PR to reduce the workload on Jones and Henderson in that area.

Josh Horner is an interesting player too. How will he be after a year off the game? Like Lucas and Burke, he has great size. How'd you like to defend the redzone with Henderson, Jones, Lucas, Burke, and Horner in 5 WR sets? There is no way for any BSC team to defend that kind of size consistently. I am hoping Horner proves to be a solid contributor this season. It would be nice to have the luxury of redshirting as many of the FR WR's as possible.

Either way, the talent and potential of this group is as intriguing and enticing as any group on this team. What will Still do with these guys. The biggest question is, "Can Gustafson fully utilize his weapons, without a huge learning curve?" More accurately, "How long will it take him to know them, have confidence in them, and find consistency with unit?" GRIZ fans are hoping for "sooner than later".

Wasn't there just a thread on Summer Workouts, and who's in town?

Yes Gus has been in town and working with most all of the WRs, I've been told he's had a really good summer by some other people.

horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Wasn't there just a thread on Summer Workouts, and who's in town?

There was, and if I remember correctly, Lucas tweeted he was heading to Missoula sometime in July. It would be amazing if most all the WR's and QB's were here for all of July (after the 4th).

I believe summer workouts were over last week. Heard there was three quarterbacks 10 receivers and quite a few DB's and linebackers at every one of them. I think the kids are now in their break before fall camp begins.

Has been Ben Roberts been confirmed? He started 44 games this past season for the Cougs this past spring.

"It’s been one of the busier summers of my career and I’ve fallen way behind on position discussions."

Brint, we don't care about your career or you putting food on your table. Get your head in the game and get back to posting on here. Excuses don't fly. :lol:

Thanks for the write up. I believe the first couple will be starters assuming healthy camps, but would suggest it's going to be the six to eight best, including freshmen, who see the field. Stitt will put his best out there.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Still needs to be locked, this circle jerk of uninformed dolts offends me

Then you should offer your own opinions instead of just throwing bombs. You know a lot about football.

What is this about Ben Roberts playing? This is the 1st I've heard of this. I thought he was playing college baseball for WAZZU. He has never played football for the Cougars, from what I recall.

Back