• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Gregorak's Defense Be Tops in Big Sky Again?

PlayerRep

I believe the UM defense will be as good as it was last year, with a chance of being better. The defense was at the top of the Big Sky last year. Far from perfect, and had some weaker games, but overall was good to very good. Was terrific in the redzone last year, but not as good in the middle of the field at times.

The backers are the same and would seem to be a year better. Did well in pre-season teams.

D-line lost some good players, but should be fairly strong if it can develop some depth. I'm hoping converted fullback Wilson can have a big year, and hopefully Schye adapts to d-end.

The secondary has multiple younger and newer players, so will have to come together. The secondary has alot of players who have the potential to be good. The AZ transfer is huge and looks like a stud. Don't think UM has anyone else who looks like him. Hopefully, he can play as well as he looks.

One question I have is whether Stitt's aggressiveness on 4th down will impact the defense. I suppose success on 4th would help, and lack of success would hurt.

I have more questions about the offense.

Here's a repeat of AZGriz' post from another thread:

MSU: Averaged 38.2 PPG. Scored 7
EWU: Averaged 44.1 PPG. Scored 37 & 36
Sac St: Averaged 38.1. Scored 13
NDSU: Averaged 32.9. Scored 22 (The same guys who put up 34 on a Big 10 school and scored 38,27,39,35 and 29 in their playoff run)
SUU: Averaged 23.7. Scored 17
Wyoming: Averaged 23.5 (Against MWC foes). Scored 17
San Diego: Averaged 26.1. Scored 14
South Dakota: Averaged 19.4 against MFVC. Scored 20

I could go through and dissect the YPC, TOP, etc., etc., but why bother. Suffice it to say that if LAST YEAR'S defense shows up with what we're anticipating out of Stitt's OFFENSE, this should be a VERY fun year to watch football.

Not a conference known for defense, so you'd certainly want to be @ the top end of that list. I'm in the camp that says they"ll eventually be better than the last group, my faith placed in a group of new DB's added to the mix that may have as much physical talent as we've seen in some time. I think the LB crew will be stellar, and the D-line only needs be solid.

Still, it will be essential for any of the BSC teams to put up points in bunches to win consistently.

I would have loved to see last year's defense in the playoffs against anybody OTHER than EWU. While we were able to hold EWU to 7 points below their average, I think we'd have performed even better against some of the other playoff teams....alas, we'll never know.

AZGrizFan said:
I would have loved to see last year's defense in the playoffs against anybody OTHER than EWU. While we were able to hold EWU to 7 points below their average, I think we'd have performed even better against some of the other playoff teams....alas, we'll never know.

And we may very well struggle to stop them again this year, but the offense should be hitting on all cylinders by the time we play them...as opposed to no cylinders last year.

AZGrizFan said:

I was surprised and disappointed that the team didn't play EWU tougher the second time. Thought they would. The offense faltered and made the same or similar mistakes in both games.

bgbigdog said:
Not a conference known for defense, so you'd certainly want to be @ the top end of that list. I'm in the camp that says they"ll eventually be better than the last group, my faith placed in a group of new DB's added to the mix that may have as much physical talent as we've seen in some time. I think the LB crew will be stellar, and the D-line only needs be solid.

Still, it will be essential for any of the BSC teams to put up points in bunches to win consistently.

Yes, a conference not known for defense, but a conference known for big offense. To me, that evens things out. UM played some high-powered offenses last year, with some good and some not-so-good success.

PlayerRep said:
I believe the UM defense will be as good as it was last year, with a chance of being better. The defense was at the top of the Big Sky last year. Far from perfect, and had some weaker games, but overall was good to very good. Was terrific in the redzone last year, but not as good in the middle of the field at times.

The backers are the same and would seem to be a year better. Did well in pre-season teams.

D-line lost some good players, but should be fairly strong if it can develop some depth. I'm hoping converted fullback Wilson can have a big year, and hopefully Schye adapts to d-end.

The secondary has multiple younger and newer players, so will have to come together. The secondary has alot of players who have the potential to be good. The AZ transfer is huge and looks like a stud. Don't think UM has anyone else who looks like him. Hopefully, he can play as well as he looks.

One question I have is whether Stitt's aggressiveness on 4th down will impact the defense. I suppose success on 4th would help, and lack of success would hurt.

Your stats will not be as good in 2015 as they were in 2014. Not a chance. With the commitment to running a play every 12 seconds or whatever, and wanting to run "more plays than any team in the country", you are automatically deciding to put your defense back on the field for more plays as well. More plays equals more yards and more points in the long run. This is a simple concept. Even if your defense is "better" in 2015, they'll be on the field a LOT more, and chances are they'll get gassed by the end of the game regardless of how much you platoon. Before all the haters jump on here and rip me for for this and try to tell me it's just wishful thinking, tell me where I'm wrong. EVEN in a perfect scenario for Stitt, which sounds like a 20 play drive resulting in a TD, you're still giving the ball back quicker than you're used to on average.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Your stats will not be as good in 2015 as they were in 2014. Not a chance. With the commitment to running a play every 12 seconds or whatever, and wanting to run "more plays than any team in the country", you are automatically deciding to put your defense back on the field for more plays as well. More plays equals more yards and more points in the long run. This is a simple concept. Even if your defense is "better" in 2015, they'll be on the field a LOT more, and chances are they'll get gassed by the end of the game regardless of how much you platoon. Before all the haters jump on here and rip me for for this and try to tell me it's just wishful thinking, tell me where I'm wrong. EVEN in a perfect scenario for Stitt, which sounds like a 20 play drive resulting in a TD, you're still giving the ball back quicker than you're used to on average.
I think once this offense gets clicking, you may be surprised by the TOP. If I recall correctly he his team in CO had a better TOP then the opposing teams.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

What you and many bobcat fans are failing to remember is that this isn't your standard quick-strike offense. This offense functions on ball control and will hold onto the ball longer than an offense like EWU. Offensive drives will last longer with shorter plays, unlike EWU where they thrive on the quick strike. Stitt's offense averaged 32:50 in TOP in 2014, which is better than what the Griz averaged last year under Delaney (averaged around 28:00 Time of Possession).

poorgriz said:
you are automatically deciding to put your defense back on the field for more plays as well. More plays equals more yards and more points in the long run. This is a simple concept. Even if your defense is "better" in 2015, they'll be on the field a LOT more, and chances are they'll get gassed by the end of the game regardless of how much you platoon. Before all the haters jump on here and rip me for for this and try to tell me it's just wishful thinking, tell me where I'm wrong. EVEN in a perfect scenario for Stitt, which sounds like a 20 play drive resulting in a TD, you're still giving the ball back quicker than you're used to on average.

The offense will be a spread version of the west coast system, e.g. possession passing, ball control. The 20 play drives will be verses teams that 'keep everything in front of them,' allowing the short passes. As long as you can get 3-4 yards on each short toss you will be unstoppable. That is part of the reasoning behind the quick pace. Keep them in the same defensive formation and dink away at the yardage.

PoorGriz: Running allot of plays doesn't mean you give the ball back right away. Check the stats on how the offense ran at CSM. They were 13th in TOP in NCAA II. Also seen some talk about 4th down. They converted almost 60% of the time. So 1 out of 3 times you don't convert..that's pretty good odds. But when you punt the ball - conversion is 0% and 100% chance the other team gets to touch the ball.

My thoughts on the defense:

Linebackers - should be outstanding with great depth - this is a known quantity!!
Secondary - they have picked up a few quality transfers (Markell & Yamen Sanders) to mix with current players (Nate Harris, Justin Whitted, JR Nelson, Eric Johnson) and some new players are ready to become major contributors (Ryan McKinley, Manu Rasmussen -- if eligible?) - I'm told the coaching is vastly improved. I'm not terribly worried about this part of the defense.
Defensive Line - d-end should be very solid with Holmes and Crittenden and Tucker Schye possibly making a huge impact, the interior d-line starters of Kidder and Bradley will be very solid as well but depth is a major concern beyond them. Either Jamaal Wilson (transitioning from fullback) or Bo Harris need to step in and provide quality backup. The DT position really needs a late addition transfer for depth purposes in my opinion!! One or two injuries and we might be exposed.

get'em_griz said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

What you and many bobcat fans are failing to remember is that this isn't your standard quick-strike offense. This offense functions on ball control and will hold onto the ball longer than an offense like EWU. Offensive drives will last longer with shorter plays, unlike EWU where they thrive on the quick strike. Stitt's offense averaged 32:50 in TOP in 2014, which is better than what the Griz averaged last year under Delaney (averaged around 28:00 Time of Possession).

Stop confusing the poor simpleton with all of this. Let him live happily in his preseason fantasy world.

go96griz said:

Linebackers - should be outstanding with great depth - this is a known quantity!!
Secondary - they have picked up a few quality transfers (Markell & Yamen Sanders) to mix with current players (Nate Harris, Justin Whitted, JR Nelson, Eric Johnson) and some new players are ready to become major contributors (Ryan McKinley, Manu Rasmussen -- if eligible?) - I'm told the coaching is vastly improved. I'm not terribly worried about this part of the defense.
Defensive Line - d-end should be very solid with Holmes and Crittenden and Tucker Schye possibly making a huge impact, the interior d-line starters of Kidder and Bradley will be very solid as well but depth is a major concern beyond them. Either Jamaal Wilson (transitioning from fullback) or Bo Harris need to step in and provide quality backup. The DT position really needs a late addition transfer for depth purposes in my opinion!! One or two injuries and we might be exposed.

Zach Peevey is going to have a nice season up front in the middle....

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

The defense that's going to "be on the field a LOT more....getting gassed by the end of the game" is the opposition. THEY'RE the ones who have to defend 90-100 plays, not OURS. Why is that concept so difficult to comprehend?

funny water said:
go96griz said:

Zach Peevey is going to have a nice season up front in the middle....

Thanks, I totally missed him and he will be the other starter with Kidder. Bradley will be a solid backup, but somebody else needs to step up for depth!

AZGrizFan said:
The defense that's going to "be on the field a LOT more....getting gassed by the end of the game" is the opposition. THEY'RE the ones who have to defend 90-100 plays, not OURS. Why is that concept so difficult to comprehend?
The concept is not what anyone is having trouble comprehending. If it was simple and worked every time don't you think everyone would do it. I think we are going to go through major growing pains with this system. It will take time and I don't think it will iron itself out in fall camp. We may be in for a long season this year. I love the optimism but I just don't think it gonna be all strippers and burritos this year.

indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:
The concept is not what anyone is having trouble comprehending. If it was simple and worked every time don't you think everyone would do it. I think we are going to go through major growing pains with this system. It will take time and I don't think it will iron itself out in fall camp. We may be in for a long season this year. I love the optimism but I just don't think it gonna be all strippers and burritos this year.

I actually agree with you here...which is why I've made a personal promise to myself not to fillet Stitt if the team struggles this year (like I did on this board to Pflu in his first year/struggles). :oops: :oops:

I guess I was talking more "long term"...

Latest posts

Back