• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Discussion: Defensive Line

BWahlberg

DONOR
Trying to stack up some conversations before fall camp gets rolling. We’ve covered the offense so far so lets switch over to the defense now. Coming off the announcement that Caleb Kidder is our latest #37 I figured why not start with the D-line. Last year’s D-line was top-heavy with senior talent lead by Zach Wagenmann and Tonga Takai, Trevor Rehm rose to the occasion as well as our 3rd senior on the D-line and Tyrone Holmes remains as the only returning starter from last year’s group.

Starters
DE – Tyrone Holmes
DT – Zach Peevey
DT – Caleb Kidder
DE – Derek Crittenden

Backups
DE – Tucker Schye
DT – Jamal Wilson
DT – Nate Bradley
DE – Ryan Johnson

Depth
DE – Austin Chadderon, Nick Mertes, Tyler Richtmeyer, Jesse Sims, Andrew Harris, Mike Ralston
DT – Bo Harris, Kyle Davis, Reggie Tilleman

The starting 4 is an interesting mix, over the last 3 years the Griz had enjoyed the huge run-stopping presence of 300+ pound Tonga Takai, now the heaviest D-lineman is in the 275-280 range (Peevey, Wilson, Kidder, and Harris). Power-run teams will presumably take notice and test the interior line. Last year NDSU even had issues against Takai and Rehm for a while.

Holmes represents one of the better pass rushers in the Big Sky. He started off last year on fire but I think a foot injury of some sort slowed him for a while. Healthy and full speed he could be a force, however he’ll have to contend with getting attention from extra blockers the whole year. Crittenden is well known for his academic achievements but was also a steady backup last season, he actually finished 4th in overall sacks on the team – ahead of Takai. Peevey,is a solid backup and ST player from last year, he’s got a lot resting on his shoulders in an increased role now. Peevey kind of reminds me of Alex Bienemann - a converted DE that can balance his athleticism with being a 280-ish pound interior tackle. Then there’s Caleb Kidder, our new #37. He had to sit out last season due to injury and hopefully he’s back and fully recovered. Before this injury – seeing him play at full speed was very impressive. He’s not like an interior lineman we’ve see in a while here. He has a strong burst of speed and can rush the QB like a fast DE if needed. Kidder could be in line for a breakout season.

The depth is where things get a little funky. DT is actually in pretty good shape. Nate Bradley reminds me of Ben Hughes from a few years ago – a little undersized but a good fighter in the trenches and someone that can come in and play quite frequently to keep our entire interior D-line fresh. Jamal Wilson has impressed with the weight he’s added and how he practiced in the spring. Keep an eye on him, he’s going to be able to contribute this year. D-end we move rapidly into the unknown. Tucker Schye is a converted LB and I can’t help but wonder what they’ll do with him now that Addison Owen is gone – will he go back to LB? Ryan Johnson has had great scrimmages and spring/fall camps but has yet to show it in games, this could be his chance to make that stride.

Beyond the starters and backups watch for Austin Chadderon and possibly Nick Mertes to make some noise – mostly on special teams. Chadderon showed some good skill rushing the passer this spring, if Schye moves back to linebacker then Austin may step up into the 2-deep. Another guy that could come in and have a Tyrone Holmes-like rise as a true freshman is Jesse Sims. He’s already got more weight on him than many of our RS-frosh and Sophomore D-ends and was quite the steal from the FBS ranks. I’ve heard great things about Sims strength and speed – he’s a guy I’ll watch to see if he makes a move this fall camp. DT depth beyond our front 4 is basically Bo Harris and Kyle Davis – the loss of Mau Ena probably will have the coaches scrambling to get some new interior linemen this next recruiting season.

Overall the starters bring a mixed bag of backup experience that should suit them well in transitioning to being starters. As always there’s some concerns with overall health and these guys will need to find good consistency this season. I would expect they’ll get tested by running teams quite a bit – it will help though having an incredibly experienced group of LB’s working behind them though. There’s great potential overall in this group, mainly with Holmes and Kidder. On the other hand depth is very inexperienced and D-end especially has a whole lot of guys who have little to no prior playing time as a Griz.

There’s quite a bit to see unfold with the D-line! They’re replacing a lot from last year but have been able to work with and groom new starters.

If the biggest question marks on the defense are named Holmes, Kidder, Peevey and Crittenden, I feel pretty damn good about things.

I also like that the D Line is a little smaller and more mobile. In today's game (and especially in the BSC) there are not many teams going to line up and come straight downhill with a power rushing game. D Lines need to be able to move laterally.

The lack of tested depth is a concern, though. Although I agree that the experience at LB could help fill some holes (literally).

Kidder reminds me alot of Blake Horgan. If we get that kind of production out of him, they'll be no worries on the interior line.

It's the only position I have a bit of concern about. We needed to find a seasoned tackle to stop teams from running between the tackles. Stopping the run will be an issue for this team.....especially late in games. ndsu will test it early and often. Holding them to 200 yards rushing will be successful.

bigkid said:
It's the only position I have a bit of concern about. We needed to find a seasoned tackle to stop teams from running between the tackles. Stopping the run will be an issue for this team.....especially late in games. ndsu will test it early and often. Holding them to 200 yards rushing will be successful.

I understand what you are saying but O-line is a bigger concern to me. Though I will say that Schmaing back and Reese a year older makes me grin. Our DT's might not be as big as usual but Kidder and Peavey can play, and the little fire hydrant behind them looks like a battler. Kose is a legit hammer as a hole plugging run stopper, think Brock Coyle lite. My concern on run support is whether or not we can replace Hermanson's "fourth LB" play. Do we have a kid who can/wants to get stuck in and bring the lumber on run plays?

Two things,:

SaskGriz said:
...and Reese a year older makes me grin.

Word is Reese will backup Thiebes - just heard this, we'll see once the first depth chart is out

SaskGriz said:
My concern on run support is whether or not we can replace Hermanson's "fourth LB" play. Do we have a kid who can/wants to get stuck in and bring the lumber on run plays?

If Rassmussen plays the way he did in spring ball then yes we're in good shape. Dallaserra I've not paid much attention to in run support - will have to keep an eye on that.

SaskGriz said:
bigkid said:

I understand what you are saying but O-line is a bigger concern to me. Though I will say that Schmaing back and Reese a year older makes me grin. Our DT's might not be as big as usual but Kidder and Peavey can play, and the little fire hydrant behind them looks like a battler. Kose is a legit hammer as a hole plugging run stopper, think Brock Coyle lite. My concern on run support is whether or not we can replace Hermanson's "fourth LB" play. Do we have a kid who can/wants to get stuck in and bring the lumber on run plays?

Gregorak said that Rassmussan was just as good as Hermanson, and even more athletic.

The Arizona transfer safety was a thumper in high school.

EverettGriz said:
I also like that the D Line is a little smaller and more mobile. In today's game (and especially in the BSC) there are not many teams going to line up and come straight downhill with a power rushing game. D Lines need to be able to move laterally.

2014:

Wags: 6-3.5, 250
Takai: 6-2, 305
Rehm: 6-3, 265
Holmes: 6-4, 245

average 6-3, 266

2015:
Crittenden: 6-3, 240
Peevey: 6-3, 255 (I believe he's in the 265-270 range now)
Kidder: 6-5, 275
Holmes: 6-4, 245

average 6-4, 254

(used gogriz.com - which I bet are spring weights)

So average an inch taller and about 10-ish pounds lighter across the line.

IntuitiveGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
bigkid said:

Gregorak said that Rassmussan was just as good as Hermanson, and even more athletic.

Was my immediate thought as well. :thumb: :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
Two things,:

SaskGriz said:
...and Reese a year older makes me grin.

Word is Reese will backup Thiebes - just heard this, we'll see once the first depth chart is out

Reese is a backup? Fall camp hasn't even started. Isn't that kind of the point of fall camp, evaluate, create competition and gain reps? Naming a starting o-line right now would be ridiculous, imo.

Alaska Griz said:
Reese is a backup? Fall camp hasn't even started. Isn't that kind of the point of fall camp, evaluate, create competition and gain reps? Naming a starting o-line right now would be ridiculous, imo.

Thiebes moved ahead of Reese at the end of spring camp. I should have said that Thiebes will OPEN fall camp the starter - my bad.

Crittenden = Wags
Peevey plays like Alex
Tyrone plays like Tyrone
Kidder stays healthy
TY rotates to keep the line strong
LB's= proven to be quick to respond to the run
Rassmussan+ is better than Hermey
+ we have one of our best cb core since colt, trumaine, thompson, mccord, lisowki, campbell and swink

the o-line staying up with stitt's game plan and number of offensive plays is what i am keeping my eye on for a major part of our success.

BWahlberg said:
the loss of Mau Ena probably will have the coaches scrambling to get some new interior linemen this next recruiting season.

Any possibility of a transfer this season? I thought that with both Ena and Owen out of the mix the coaches might try to pick up a juco transfer or drop down.

IntuitiveGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
bigkid said:

TG also said that Hermey was as good as Colt Anderson. So by that logic, Manu is better than Colt Anderson. Really? I do like the addition of Sanders. All safeties will have a chance to "step up" in run support vs NDSU. We'll see...

Back