• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Upset Guesses (Sept 3-5) REVISED

Where are the upsets?

• #3 SHSU (11-5) at Texas Tech (4-8)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • #4 Villanova (11-3) at UConn (2-10)

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • #8 Chatt'ga (10-4) vs #7 Jacksonv'l St (10-2)

• #9 UNH (12-2) at SJSU (3-9)

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • #14 Youngstown (7-5) at Pittsburgh (6-7)

• NW State (6-6) vs #19 SE Louisiana (9-4)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #20 Fordham (11-3) at Army (4-8)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • UNI (9-5) at Iowa State (2-10)

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

I know, I know, it’s early. I was going to wait awhile to start this, but there are some pretty interesting early-season matchups ... after you eliminate the FCS-FBS games where upsets seem pretty unlikely. So, since we’re only a week away from when these games start, here goes.

The rankings used are from the STATS pre-season poll (which is not that different from the FCS coaches’ poll). And, before you ask, I do not use matchups involving Big Sky teams because people tend to pick against a team they “hate on,” rather than a realistic possibility. Records are, obviously, for last year.

We already have two ranked teams playing each other, which is nice for this early in the season. Besides the five FCS-FBS matchups I have included as potential upsets, six other ranked FCS teams are playing FBS opponents. I was tempted by #18 Richmond at Maryland, but decided against it.

Two of the “upset guess” games are on Thursday, September 3; one is on Friday; and the rest are Saturday.

Under-dog on the left, TWO choices allowed. (Despite some bad records for the FBS side, I have made all the FCS opponents the underdog in those matchups.)

Villanova looks like the obvious choice. Lately U Conn is bottom of the barrel.

If given a second vote, New Hampshire has at least a fifty-fifty shot to win in San Jose.

Grizzlies1982 said:
Villanova looks like the obvious choice. Lately U Conn is bottom of the barrel.

If given a second vote, New Hampshire has at least a fifty-fifty shot to win in San Jose.
I lean that way too, but there just weren't enough games to set up for two votes. ;)

Interesting. 'Nooga was a pretty good team last year -- got a bye in the playoffs, won a game at home, and gave UNH a pretty good tussle on the road. They're playing at home and no one thinks they can win?

Guess I'll have to change my vote. (You are allowed to change your vote, BTW. I should have mentioned that.)

(Bump.)

Okay, now that the Griz have taken care of biz-ness, it's time to think about some upcoming FCS games. Right now people see 'Nova with the best chance for an upset (by a lot). I'm still surprised so few think Chattie can't win at home.

Also, from what I've read, T Tech still has a lot of problems on defense -- and SHSU averaged almost 34 ppg last year. Seems like the Bearkats might have an outside chance in a shootout.

(Bump.)
Three of the "upset" games are scheduled for Thursday:
SE Louisiana at NW State
Villanova at UConn
UNH at SJSU.

None are on regular TV, but the 'Nova-UConn is supposedly available on ESPN3.

MY BAD! Sorry folks. :oops:

Those of you who had already voted have to do it all over again. But you do get a bonus.

Since so many people felt they had a hard time picking just one from the list, I decided to add another game to pick from, and to allow TWO choices. You learn something new everyday: I did not realize that changing the poll content also reset the counter. (Not totally surprised at that, but did not know it. :( )

Anyway I did add one more possible FBS upset. I did not put it in before because the claim was that Iowa State was ready for a big resurgence. But UNI was pretty good last year, so maybe this one is not out of the question (especially if the prognosticators are wrong about he Iowa State come-back).

Where'd the votes go? Hey, there were a lot more votes before I screwed up (see above) and reset the counter.

It's interesting, however, how the pattern has changed now that I've included the UNI-Iowa State game.

Back