• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sagarin College Football Rankings!

rocklobster

70 North Dakota State
82 Northern Iowa
84 Illinois State
92 Sam Houston State
94 Chattanooga
98 South Dakota State
99 Villanova
100 Jacksonville State
102 Youngstown State
103 Montana
104 EWU
144 Montana State

I don't get it, but there's some method to the computer madness. :?

Interesting... you'd think we'd be just a touch closer to NDSU after beating them than those rankings have us. But whatever, let's just keep winning each week! :thumb:

get'em_griz said:
Interesting... you'd think we'd be just a touch closer to NDSU after beating them than those rankings have us. But whatever, let's just keep winning each week! :thumb:

I don't think that has anything to do with the Sagarin Rankings since a lot of it determines on strength of schedule and how good your conference is..

I don't know. Maybe I just suck at comprehension...

To make predictions for upcoming games, simply compare the RATINGS of
the teams in question and allow an ADDITIONAL 3 points for the home
team. Thus, for example, a HOME team with a rating of 92 would be
favored by 5 points over a VISITING team having a rating of 90.
Or a VISITING team with a rating of 89 would be favored by 7 points
over a HOME team having a rating of 79.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Am I to believe NDSU would still be favored over the Griz in this system by 30 points? :shock:

I have to believe I read something wrong. Dammit, I don't know what or where, lol.

FINALLY saw my mistake. Sheesh. So NDSU would still be favored. By 4 in our house, by 10 in theirs.

Has this been updated since the win? I know rankings were not adjusted so NDSU is still number 1 until next week.

I think so, gf95. It has records listed for our Griz and NDSU. 1-0 and 0-1, respectively.

Look at all the people that do not understand statistical modeling. Don't worry, the ranking system will get more accurate when there is more than one datum point in the model.

By the way, here is another way to look at this. Sagarin currently has us beating NDSU 46.64% of the time. Personally, I think that is reasonable.

grizpsych said:
Look at all the people that do not understand statistical modeling. Don't worry, the ranking system will get more accurate when there is more than one datum point in the model.
Statistical modeling is great but doesn't change the fact that garbage in gives you garbage out...

I think it shows that statistical models fall apart when they lack statistics as input. A single point is not sufficient for any data driven model. You could create an exception that might reflect the affect of having exactly one result but why?

Grisly Fan said:
I think it shows that statistical models fall apart when they lack statistics as input. A single point is not sufficient for any data driven model. You could create an exception that might reflect the affect of having exactly one result but why?
Exactly. Why they'd put this out after one game is beyond me. Those rankings will turn out in all likelihood to be wildly inaccurate.

grizpsych said:

statistical modeling......... right on.......typical psychology dude, trying to explain individual behavior by looking at "modeling". The "Saccarin' rankings are just that, nothing but B.S.

AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
Statistical modeling is great but doesn't change the fact that garbage in gives you garbage out...

So you don't think that predicting us to beat NDSU 46.47% of the time is accurate? The only data in the model currently are preseason rankings for all teams and the scores for NDSU and Montana.

Grisly Fan said:
You could. But that would be a lot of programming for one game in week 0.

Statistical modeling to predict athletic outcomes fails to take into consideration such things as.... motivation, injuries, emotion, crazy bounces of an oblong object, game officials, etc.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Statistical modeling to predict athletic outcomes fails to take into consideration such things as.... motivation, injuries, emotion, crazy bounces of an oblong object, game officials, etc.
All of this is quantifiable.

grizpsych said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
All of this is quantifiable.

Yeah right! Please tell us that the way the football bounces is inversely proportional to the number of dimples on the ball. God, you psychologists provide funny sh*t to our world!

Back