• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Considering changes to Tailgating

ordigger

DONOR
We just had a discussion about this for us earlier this week. Looks like MSU is seriously looking at no re-entry during halftime if you leave. If they do it, we will do it also.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71121

http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/MSU-discusses-possible-change-in-tailgating-alcohol-rules/35091964

There could soon be changes to tailgating policies at Montana State University. The university wants to find ways to cut down on what it calls high-risk drinking at football games.

Chris Kearns, vice president for student success, said, "We want to make sure the folks in the stand have the best experience and the folks out in the tailgating arena have the best experience in ways that promote the safety and the welfare of our students at the same time."

MSU's Substance Abuse Commission reports the majority of drinking happens during halftime. Kearns says the university wants to promote responsible drinking. One of the ways they’re considering doing that is a no re-entry policy.

"One of the things that we hear when we talk to coaches and even when we talk to our fans is that there is sometimes a difference between the energy and excitement in the first quarter and the energy and excitement in the third quarter. And that’s not always connected to how full the stands are," said Kearns.

Students are not sure if they would agree with the change.

MSU student Elijah Klein said," I think if people want to leave, regardless, they're going to leave so I think closing the re-entry would be a bad idea."

Student John Miller said, "I do enjoy tailgating, but I think everything comes in moderation, and I think the university does need to be strict with underage drinking and things like that to protect the students."

The university is also considering selling alcohol in general admission areas. They think that might stop binge drinking while tailgating and keep fans in the stadium throughout the game.

Officials say there's no final decision on the issue yet. This is just an open conversation they hope to have. They will be looking at tailgating policies across the nation to see what could work at MSU.

The university president will have the final say if any changes do occur. Students, faculty and the community are invited to give their input.

All this is going to do is hurt the student section attendance, especially after half time. If you've been drinking all morning by halftime most are dying to get some liquor back in the system. Most students will choose to go have more drinks at half than stand inside the stadium another hour and a half. And if they do go to this, they must start selling alcohol in the stadium for those of us whom are of age!!!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
All this is going to do is hurt the student section attendance, especially after half time. If you've been drinking all morning by halftime most are dying to get some liquor back in the system. Most students will choose to go have more drinks at half than stand inside the stadium another hour and a half. And if they do go to this, they must start selling alcohol in the stadium for those of us whom are of age!!!

Sounds like that type of binge drinking is exactly what they want to address.

I am all for beer sales inside the stadium. Imagine the additional revenue derived from beer sales. I got to admit it, I did enjoy that option at Northern Colorado. It kept my ass in their venue, despite the quality of the venue.

If they can rationalize it based on attendee safety or event security then fine. They sell beer at the PSU games and other than not knowing how to serve people fast enough, it seems to work just fine.

I'm all for selling beer inside the stadium as well, especially if there is a good selection and they find a way to help reduce the halftime congestion that would happen with keeping most fans inside at halftime. The concession area is already jam packed at halftime (at least on the West side) so it would be nice to have a separate area somewhere for the beer purchases. Would be great to see a larger portion of the crowd back right after halftime.

Out goes the beer, in comes hard liquor. Compact, easy to hide. Worked in the early 70s. The net result is drunker students, worsening the problems they seem to have a need to fix. Trying to change undergrad drinking habits is a waste of time and effort. Legal drinking age is 21, so generally speaking, only Seniors would be effected. We all know those under 21 don't drink. Seems to me the tailgaters aren't primarily students but middle aged adults, at least in Missoula. In effect, a student problems in Bozeman could screw the middle aged crowd in Missoula. Better look at the statistics from Weber State if considering a no reentry policy. Their 20,000 seat stadium is never filled. Last year 14,577 for NDSU. Impressive by Ogden standards. Cal Poly 8600. Then the last three games under 7,000. Cooking the golden goose is foolish.

statler & waldorf said:
Out goes the beer, in comes hard liquor. Compact, easy to hide. Worked in the early 70s. The net result is drunker students, worsening the problems they seem to have a need to fix. Trying to change undergrad drinking habits is a waste of time and effort. Legal drinking age is 21, so generally speaking, only Seniors would be effected. We all know those under 21 don't drink. Seems to me the tailgaters aren't primarily students but middle aged adults, at least in Missoula. In effect, a student problems in Bozeman could screw the middle aged crowd in Missoula. Better look at the statistics from Weber State if considering a no reentry policy. Their 20,000 seat stadium is never filled. Last year 14,577 for NDSU. Impressive by Ogden standards. Cal Poly 8600. Then the last three games under 7,000. Cooking the golden goose is foolish.

I agree, good post!

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Never hurt the wyo student attendance and it was in place for years

Gaad I get tired of the Nanny State mindset. What the hell is next, making fans in the end zone wear helmets in case a field goal or x-pt might hit them in the head.

If they're actually worried about their kids getting black out drunk then put a dozen extra cops strolling through the tailgate area checking IDs. If they did, they could issue 50 MIP tickets without even trying to find any. Or they could issue 500 per game if they actually sought them out.

If they're worried about legal age fans causing trouble in the stadium because they're too drunk, then turn them away at the gates when they attempt to re-enter. Make it known that clearly intoxicated fans will not be allowed in. Those fans are supposed to be out in the parking lot anyway keying Alpha's car.

They can address any issues as is. They don't really need to remove the tailgate option. This is just more silly sh*t to be politically correct. Therefore, it is highly likely it will become policy.

statler & waldorf said:
Nobody in the SLC area gives two shits about weber state, alcohol or no alcohol. It's a frigging miracle they had 14k for NDSU.

I don't think it would change tailgating before and after the game. Seems like a good way,if done right, to help pay for FCOA.

The bottom line for both stadiums is there is not enough concourse room inside the stadiums to handle a halftime mob-scene. It would be total gridlock beer sales or no beer sales. For safety reasons alone, they HAVE to allow ppl to leave the facility.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
You talking students or the NEZ, sounds the same.

GRIZFAN20 said:
I'm all for selling beer inside the stadium as well, especially if there is a good selection and they find a way to help reduce the halftime congestion that would happen with keeping most fans inside at halftime. The concession area is already jam packed at halftime (at least on the West side) so it would be nice to have a separate area somewhere for the beer purchases. Would be great to see a larger portion of the crowd back right after halftime.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Imagine a deck off the Champions Center that could do that.

Grizzlies1982 said:
Gaad I get tired of the Nanny State mindset. What the hell is next, making fans in the end zone wear helmets in case a field goal or x-pt might hit them in the head.

If they're actually worried about their kids getting black out drunk then put a dozen extra cops strolling through the tailgate area checking IDs. If they did, they could issue 50 MIP tickets without even trying to find any. Or they could issue 500 per game if they actually sought them out.

If they're worried about legal age fans causing trouble in the stadium because they're too drunk, then turn them away at the gates when they attempt to re-enter. Make it known that clearly intoxicated fans will not be allowed in. Those fans are supposed to be out in the parking lot anyway keying Alpha's car.

They can address any issues as is. They don't really need to remove the tailgate option. This is just more silly sh*t to be politically correct. Therefore, it is highly likely it will become policy.
So fuck the nanny state, let's have a police state instead. Gotcha.

Yes lets just reduce our student section after half and increase the amount of booze/garbage snuck into Wa-Griz. It will be more of a head ache then its worth. And don't even say people will get "use to it" because most will not. It's come and go. We all pay for our spots so we should do what we wish with them.

Is this Nazi Germany or America?

Sieg Heil! While I wished these tailgaters would get their fat entitled asses back in their seats for the start of the second half, its THEIR SEAT! Stay, party, go-the-f*ck-home, who cares? Like teaching right or wrong to your kids, it takes a while. Not hard to understand for a adult, though. The half is 20 min. long. Time to get what you need/want and get back to your seat. This is a 3-4hr. football game, not your back yard barbecue/party. If you're not in WGS to watch Griz football, stay the f*ck home, or tailgate BEFORE AND AFTER THE GAME, not at halftime. After game tailgating would ease traffic congestion as well, and CONTINUE THE PARTY! --end rant.

Back