• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Write to Haslam.

BadlandsGrizFan

I again wrote Haslam to let him know of our displeasure and lack of options to watch the Griz. Hes generally been good at responding to emails. I suggest as many of you that can do the same. Maybe if we bother him enough our options will get better for next year. Its 2015 and its bullshit we can hardly ever stream the games. I'm tired of every Saturday not being able to find my Griz playing even online..and than I come here and many of you say the same. WRITE HASLAM and let him know!!

[email protected]

Save for the Liberty game, every game can be seen with pretty much your basic cable package. I don't see the issue here.

Get Dish Network, then get the sports package so you get Root. Getting Dish also gives you access to WatchESPN, won't miss a game.

Griz2k said:
Save for the Liberty game, every game can be seen with pretty much your basic cable package. I don't see the issue here.

Every Griz fan has cable and lives in the Northwest...

I'm sure Kent appreciates hearing from you, but his hands are tied when it comes to Root games. They won't allow them to be streamed, and the contract with Root is done at the conference level. If you have a beef, take it up with Fullerton. Or as others have suggested, just watch the game in sparkling HD on television.

Eriul said:
Griz2k said:

Haha exactly. You know who has ROOT in Texas....fucking nobody thats who...beleive me if I could buy the networks I would. Point is...all games should be accesable online! IU would pay for whatever service it was that would allow me to watch every game online. So for example ESPN3 owns the rights to to Big South or whatever conf Liberty is in....could the BigSky not make the same deal with ESPN3???

Some pretty naïve responses to the issue. There are many places in MT where the ISP either does not support ESPN3 or it is not fast enough to avoid constant buffering. Cable is not available everywhere and Cowles SWX is not carried by all suppliers (e.g. Century Link, DirecTV). Root, of course, carries only a fraction of Griz games. If the game is not on Root or a local channel, many viewers, who have no choices, cannot get it without traveling to a sports bar.

Of course Montana has little leverage or independence relating to TV contracts; it is only my hope that Haslam will figure out some better negotiation angles as contracts are renewed. But I suspect this will continue to be a problem as long as we are members of the BSC and their TV contracts.

EverettGriz said:
I'm sure Kent appreciates hearing from you, but his hands are tied when it comes to Root games. They won't allow them to be streamed, and the contract with Root is done at the conference level. If you have a beef, take it up with Fullerton. Or as others have suggested, just watch the game in sparkling HD on television.

Im also just more discouraged by the shitty all access program...thats what pisses me off most. And I have a feeling the griz could have some pull with the conference when it comes to what company has our rights....Im guessing after the griz and cats..very few schools have more than a couple people following their programs.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Im also just more discouraged by the shitty all access program...thats what pisses me off most. And I have a feeling the griz could have some pull with the conference when it comes to what company has our rights....Im guessing after the griz and cats..very few schools have more than a couple people following their programs.

This I agree with. I think advising Kent about the lack of regular video content on GoGriz.com is a valid concern.

kemajic said:
Some pretty naïve responses to the issue. There are many places in MT where the ISP either does not support ESPN3 or it is not fast enough to avoid constant buffering. Cable is not available everywhere and Cowles SWX is not carried by all suppliers (e.g. Century Link, DirecTV). Root, of course, carries only a fraction of Griz games. If the game is not on Root or a local channel, many viewers, who have no choices, cannot get it without traveling to a sports bar.

What is it that's naive? If you live somewhere where the internet sucks and you have no access to cable tv and your satellite provider doesn't carry local Missoula channels, what the heck is the university supposed to do about that?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
Griz2k said:

Haha exactly. You know who has ROOT in Texas....f***[*] nobody thats who...beleive me if I could buy the networks I would. Point is...all games should be accesable online! IU would pay for whatever service it was that would allow me to watch every game online. So for example ESPN3 owns the rights to to Big South or whatever conf Liberty is in....could the BigSky not make the same deal with ESPN3???

Valid points.

This is a classic case of you can't please everyone. Root is available in over 1,000,000 households. Yes, you've still got to be connected to the cord, and you may have to pay $8 a month for the Sports package. But for the most part if you want it, it's available in your area.

For those of us living outside the Cowles area with access to Root, we LOVE the Root games. Otherwise, we're stuck trying to get the games on FTA satellite, a hit-and-miss operation in the best of conditions.

Can't please everyone.

EverettGriz said:
This is a classic case of you can't please everyone. Root is available in over 1,000,000 households. Yes, you've still got to be connected to the cord, and you may have to pay $8 a month for the Sports package. But for the most part if you want it, it's available in your area.

For those of us living outside the Cowles area with access to Root, we LOVE the Root games. Otherwise, we're stuck trying to get the games on FTA satellite, a hit-and-miss operation in the best of conditions.

Can't please everyone.

I agree but thats where I think having the videos available to stream online somewhere...would make everyone happy. As long as there is always that backup plan to stream...at the very least everyone could watch.

Directv with their sports package! This will also give you access to all of watchespn (espn, espn2, espnu, espn3, etc.).

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
Griz2k said:

Haha exactly. You know who has ROOT in Texas....f***[*] nobody thats who...beleive me if I could buy the networks I would. Point is...all games should be accesable online! IU would pay for whatever service it was that would allow me to watch every game online. So for example ESPN3 owns the rights to to Big South or whatever conf Liberty is in....could the BigSky not make the same deal with ESPN3???
If you purchase Direct TV and opt for the Sports Pak you get all of the Root channels along with 37 others many of which carry FCS games.

EverettGriz said:

Can't please everyone.

you could...allow a stream online...

:shock:

I know...mind boggling

Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:

Can't please everyone.

you could...allow a stream online...

:shock:

I know...mind boggling

Soooooo, the email should be directed at the CEO for Root, not Kent.

I know... mind boggling. :eek:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Can't please everyone.

I agree but thats where I think having the videos available to stream online somewhere...would make everyone happy. As long as there is always that backup plan to stream...at the very least everyone could watch.

Three years ago I could watch almost every single game, living in Arizona. Today, I haven't been able to watch a single game (since I was AT the NDSU game) living in Texas. Either they're not available or what IS available doesn't work (I'm looking at YOU, gogriz.com :evil: )....

This is just a ploy by the BSC to make it an even playing field....figure they want to limit the people able to view UM to match the people that actually watch a majority of the other conference teams....

I would assume the streaming restrictions are for redistributing the actual feeds from Root. What's stopping the UM from having a student-run production crew offering unique game footage on GoGriz? It would benefit the students with the experience, drive traffic/interest to GoGriz, and make some fans happier and more connected with the teams.

When bigskytv was starting up this is how a lot of schools provided the footage before the conference and most the schools had tv contracts. Sure, the quality might be a little low but at least it would be a viewing option.

Back