• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Strength of the team

GottaluvGriz

DONOR
I don't think there would be much dispute that the strength of the Griz team this year would be considered our defense. Will there be a point this year in Stitt's play calling that will recognize that and not put the defense in situations like he did on our first possession against Cal-Davis?
I understand that Stitt will want to play aggressive, but at what point will he re-calculate his percentages for going for it on 4th down on our side of the field?
Go Griz!

I think he realizes that the defense is a strength. That is one reason why he rolls the dice on our side of the 50. I like the non-conventional play calling. It adds another level of excitement to the game.

FloatontheAir said:
I think he realizes that the defense is a strength. That is one reason why he rolls the dice on our side of the 50. I like the non-conventional play calling. It adds another level of excitement to the game.
No doubt that Stitt brings Excitement with his aggressive play calling. Yesterday, we gave UC Davis the ball, turning the ball over on downs inside our 40, and the defense did their job by throwing a 3 and out on Davis, but Davis was still able to put 3 points on the board.
It appears that our offense will put somewhere around 25 points on the board per game. Seems like we need to keep the pressure on the opposing teams offense by never giving them any easy scoring opportunities. Our defense is proving to be very difficult to move the ball on the length of the field!
Go Griz!

FloatontheAir said:

Love the going for it also BUT other than that I don't see the non-conventional play calling. I am missing something. I did see the fly sweep though.

We will need to score more than 25 against state college, however, they only play offense, so we should score 70.

We are dead last in TOP and near that in 3rd down conversions. We need to fix this because at some point the defense is going wear down. I would love to see the offense get up on Weber early and often so the defense can play some other guys. Kose, Holmes, and company could use some "healing" time and get off the field early this Saturday.This and a bye week will be needed going into the last 5 weeks of a tough schedule. I like our chances at this point.

Go Griz!!

FloatontheAir said:

Can Stitt get away with this aggressive play calling against a team like Eastern? A team that has an offense that can make you pay? It will very interesting to see how Stitt adjusts his style against these better offenses.....

The strength of the team is the defense, but they were exposed a bit in the second half. UCD took advantage of our over pursuing and, quite frankly, started to take control of the line of scrimmage. Fortunately, we forced some turnovers, but without those, the result may have been different.

ranco said:
The strength of the team is the defense, but they were exposed a bit in the second half. UCD took advantage of our over pursuing and, quite frankly, started to take control of the line of scrimmage. Fortunately, we forced some turnovers, but without those, the result may have been different.

Fortunately turnovers count, right? That's why they play the game.

ranco said:
UCD took advantage of our over pursuing and, quite frankly, started to take control of the line of scrimmage.
The first point for sure; the second, not so much. It was our "over-pursuing" that caused the turnovers, wasn't it? Bottom line, shutout 2nd half; zippo.

kemajic said:
ranco said:
UCD took advantage of our over pursuing and, quite frankly, started to take control of the line of scrimmage.
The first point for sure; the second, not so much. It was our "over-pursuing" that caused the turnovers, wasn't it? Bottom line, shutout 2nd half; zippo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I love it. They "took control of the line of scrimmage" and parlayed that into exactly ZERO points. Well done, UCD.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
ranco said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I love it. They "took control of the line of scrimmage" and parlayed that into exactly ZERO points. Well done, UCD.

You should read my entire post.... I said the Defense forced the turnovers, that is something good defenses do. But any one who watched the game could see that in the second half, UCD offensive line busting open some big holes. We got a shut out in the second half because we forced the turnovers, not because we dominated the line of scrimmage.

ranco said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
ranco said:

You should read my entire post.... I said the Defense forced the turnovers, that is something good defenses do. But any one who watched the game could see that in the second half, UCD offensive line busting open some big holes. We got a shut out in the second half because we forced the turnovers, not because we dominated the line of scrimmage.

And as I've explained on here at least three times in the past 24 hours, a turnover is the goal of every defensive play. We bitch when they DON'T get turnovers (see the first 3 games), then magically when they DO get turnovers, it's just lucky because it stopped a runaway train.

At the end of the day, UCD had 191 yards of offense in the 1st half, and 13 points. They had 148 yards of offense in the 2nd half, and 0 points. If it's anyone's expectation that other teams will NEVER be successful against us, and that there will NEVER be sustained drives against this defense, then I say welcome to Growler's world. There WILL be times where the other offense has success. If it's only one or two drives a game, I can live with that all day long and I'll see y'all in Frisco.

But you got one thing right: WE forced the turnovers. That's OUR team's doing. And it's part of the game, so however we got the shutout, it all counts the same.

ranco said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
ranco said:

And despite all that domination in the 3rd quarter, they averaged a whopping 2.7 yards per carry...let's look at the 4th quarter UCD Drives:

Drive 1: 8 yard pass, 1 yard run, fumble (recovered by Kidder)
Drive 2: R-5, R-0, P-6, R-2, R-2, P-5, Punt
Drive 3: P-16, P-incomlete, P-4, P-Incomplete, P-17, P-Sack(-)5, R-6, P-2, P-Sack(-)4
Drive 4: P-Incomplete (Penalty), P-Incomplete, P-Sack(-)11, Pass-Incomplete

So again, adjustments were made and their run plays were 5,0,2,2,6. 5 runs, 15 yards. 3 yards per carry.
Not exactly domination.

Meanwhile, UM's O-line was doing this in the run game in the 4th quarter: 4,2,3,8,8,3,5,1,6,6,5,2.
12 carries. 53 yards. 4.42 yards per carry. And sealing the win. :thumb: :thumb:

Back